Help with Converting These to Full Range SET Type - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2011, 01:42 PM   #1
scm is offline scm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with Converting These to Full Range SET Type

Gentlemen..I want to try the low power SET type system.

What I`d like to do is use these speakers.
I actually bought these new back in '84 or so from a small shop in Ottawa called Euphonics.
They are Dayton Wright XAM-4`s. I cut the fabric back to show the drivers.
The lower section is a sealed section with a 10" woofer.
The top section has the mids and tweeters with an ambiance driver on the top back.

They can be Tri-amped via the connections in back.

48" High 11" Wide 16" Depth on the lower section.

I`d like ask you builders what you would use/do to use these with a Sophia Baby tube amp with 10 Watts.
I`m thinking a ZU or Tekton type of set up.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytons 007.jpg (636.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg daytons 002.jpg (708.1 KB, 227 views)
Old 24th May 2011, 07:51 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pure conjecture on my part, but based on your description, this is a 4 system in which one would expect a XO network that might well have a higher parts count than some of the SET amps I've owned /built -- it wouldn't be hard to imagine many SETS not playing happiest into that complex a reactive load.

I'd suggest that while raw horsepower may not be necessary (15-20W?), a P/P amp with feedback might better serve the music with these. Assuming that you've been playing them for at least part of the 27yrs since you bought them, what amp(s) have you liked them with the most?
Old 24th May 2011, 11:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris. Actually, I think I should have asked something like this :
" Hey Guy`s can I load these speakers cabinets/boxes with SET type
90-110 DB high efficiency drivers ?"
Really just start from scratch just using the box is my idea.

Is there any problem with the angled top ? I seem to see most SET type speakers ZU and Tekton etc are plain boxes with no slope.

I`d like to finish them in Piano black to mach my Rythmik sub that is if I can do this.

Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 03:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
Really just start from scratch just using the box is my idea.
I think you should just start from scratch period! And, piano black is probably THE most labour intensive finish. I'm assuming you aren't going to be the one building and finishing the boxes?

jeff
Old 25th May 2011, 12:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Jeff. The piano black idea doesn`t put me off, I`m pretty sure I can handle that.

The speakers themselves are solidly made. Why build boxes when I already have these ?
Old 25th May 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
" Hey Guy`s can I load these speakers cabinets/boxes with SET type 90-110 DB high efficiency drivers ?"

Is there any problem with the angled top ?
Yes.

Depends on what drivers you choose. A strong rising on axis driver such as a Lowther could work when seated, though of course it would 'tear your head off' if roaming around the room.

In the LF, HE woofers tend to need large cabs to go low, so depending on how high an output impedance you choose could make the lower part of the cab too small much in the way of bass output.

GM
Old 25th May 2011, 03:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I do have a 12" driver Rythmik sub that I use for MMG`s.

So what idea`s can you come up with ?

Seriously new on this stuff.

It has a 10" Eminence in the bottom section now. What about a 10" 97db 8 ohm type full range in there then whatever might work for the top section ?

Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 06:34 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Frankly, I think you'd be better off starting from scratch.

By the time you sort out finding FR drivers that would deliver the type of performance that you're probably used to, or find acceptable, within the confines of the existing enclosures, and preparing the boxes for a piano grade finish (Jeff is correct - although gloss white is probably as much of a bitch to get right as black), I think you'd be second guessing the undertaking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan andcheerleader for single driver / SET systems as the next guy, (just search "all posts by" ) and have built more than a few labour intensive enclosures over the years, but making a silk purse out of this particular enclosure would not be something I'd consider.

All that said, if you do decide to proceed, you should probably try auditioning at least a few FR type systems to test where your tastes lie. Not all FR/SD systems sound the same, and as very little research here or at any other forums will reveal, all types have advocates and detractors.

These will not be the easiest to find in remaining bricks 'n mortar shops, but presumably there would be some enthusiasts within easy driving distance.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The speakers themselves are solidly made. Why build boxes when I already have these ?
I don't care how well made they are, those boxes are seriously aesthetically challenged! I think it's time to move on and build something a little more current. How about Alpair 10.2 Pensils, imagine them in piano black:

Pensil 10.2+Kenneth's tranformers+Western Electric 300B, Bravo!

jeff
Old 26th May 2011, 04:39 AM   #10
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll go against the tide here and say try them as is. If it's to dynamically challenged, biamp using a bigger amp on the woofer section.

I will strongly agree that retrofitting these into some sort of multi way full range system is a huge mistake. You will not learn speaker design that quickly. A simple scratch built project with a single full range driver is a much better bet.

AFA aesthetics, piano black on something that large requires spray equipment. To do it correctly takes about 15+ coats of lacquer, hours of labor, and years of practice. An easier approach would be to recover with gloss black vinyl and make some new grills.

Hide this!Advertise here!