Compact for PC use (markaaudio, EJ Jordan, Tang bands...) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2011, 07:31 PM   #31
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

EING!!??

What does age have to do here? why do you asume that??
Old 11th May 2011, 08:43 PM   #32
GDO is offline GDO  Spain
diyAudio Member

Age matters in audio Juanito, it's a fact and the audio industry knows it well!

Look for instance at B&W. Not long ago their only vision/mission was to offer the best speakers money can buy to people of my generation or of the generation of my father ( 3 times your age and still not deaf!). Well in fact, to be frank, the best speakers my or my father's money can buy... Now this company lauches an eggshaped ufo speaker for Ipods ... Yeah very cool... but not for my father ! Not even for me ! Must be for you dear, for you and people off YOUR generation, because my father and i belong to the past of B&W's business and your generation and the way they consume their music is the future of their business, and your generation pay much more attention to a Zeppelin than to a Nautilus, a well known extinct specie still present among us basically as fossiles, and i am afraid that this fact is frightenly clear for B&W too...

Well to be frank, it must be because of my age too but i am not sure that this future will be quite audiophile. For many loudspeaker manufacturers it was clear since the end of the last century that the changes in listening habits of young consumers would mean an enourmous business opportunity in the field of mini full range drivers for mini speakers, for the desktop, and to bring them with you anytime anywhere, etc.. They also know that such small speakers in such small packages are bound to suck like hell, but that are the consumer needs, that is the market and that is the business...as usual...

My generation asked for quality audio, and we got it. Your generation basically asks for convenience audio, and so will be served...
Old 11th May 2011, 09:05 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The Fostex is a completely different beast. And i found the stock ones a bit hard on the ears long term, especially the larger ones.
Note that the new FExxxEn have gone a ways to curing some of the issues (at least in the 126 which i have had considerable experience with)

dave
Old 11th May 2011, 09:07 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The Fostex is a completely different beast. And i found the stock ones a bit hard on the ears long term, especially the larger ones.

The driver i had in mind was the conceptually similar Mark Audio CHR70. It sounds better, and the cost out of the factory is actually likely more than the JX92s. In terms of size the driver to compare JX92 to is the Alpair10.2 ($220 pr vrs $360/pr) and there is no contest. The JX92 are hear so that people can come to those conclusions themselves.

dave
To each it's own Dave. So far I can see that you like Alpair more but that doesn't make it better. Less expensive yes. Until there's an objective comparative testing backing up both driver's performance... well it's just our opinions. I don't sell the drivers, so my experience with other people speaker systems is probably smaller but I've heard people say exactly the opposite about Alpair drivers. BTW a pair of unshielded 92 is $320 not $360.
That was terribly OT.
Old 11th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
...As long as she enjoy's them...
In the end that is the ultimate goal.

dave
Old 11th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #36
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

I understand what you mean but I don't share 100%.
I'm not an expert with loudspeakers, but I've heard quite a few: DIY's and from the shop, also my own and from others. My subjective opinion is very diferent from others or sometimes similar, but it ends up with a matter of taste (salvando las diferencias claro).
May be this is not the right place to discuss this...
Old 11th May 2011, 09:10 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi_Ratlos View Post
Juanito,

you can find the documentation about the "Little Susi" speakers here:

http://hifi.splibs.net/content/br/11/little_susi.pdf

The text is written in German, but you will understand, what is needed, what are the characteristics, when you look at the pictures.

This is what is needed:

[img=http://www.abload.de/thumb/ls002xcyc.jpg]

Have fun - Rudi_Ratlos
Must be a fine little speaker. On axis response looks very good indeed. Power response is excellent. Better then any full range systems can do for sure.
Old 11th May 2011, 09:37 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
Must be a fine little speaker. On axis response looks very good indeed. Power response is excellent. Better then any full range systems can do for sure.
Good speakers also measure well, but the curves published here don't tell the whole story. Anyway, they are good, probably too good to be true.

The sad and ugly story would be to show what these curves look like, not anechoic, but in a real desktop setup with the mike at the position of the head. And no hope for a DSP Digital Desktop Correction... And don't move you head not a single inch or you loose your stereo...

Desktop speakers, the only speakers that never desapear !!!
Old 11th May 2011, 10:06 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDO View Post
Good speakers also measure well, but the curves published here don't tell the whole story. Anyway, they are good, probably too good to be true.

The sad and ugly story would be to show what these curves look like, not anechoic, but in a real desktop setup with the mike at the position of the head. And no hope for a DSP Digital Desktop Correction... And don't move you head not a single inch or you loose your stereo...

Desktop speakers, the only speakers that never desapear !!!
I agree with you on the fact that limited measurements provided, do not tell the whole story but there's no reason to assume that the measurements are too good to be true. Systems like that have been done a number of times with similar drivers and response. We are looking at very linear system with drivers used well within their passband, so there's also no reason to assume that non linear parameters are out of wak. Impedance sweep is free from glitches and we can also assume that there are no serious standing waves present. You can calculate reflections from near boundaries and either DSP it or just ignore.
Provided power response is very smooth falling and I believe "head in the vise" effect will not be there. Not sure how you made your conclusions.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:17 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

You can calculate reflections from near boundaries and either DSP it or just ignore.
Provided power response is very smooth falling and I believe "head in the vise" effect will not be there. Not sure how you made your conclusions.

Seems like you are not precisely a desktop speaker guy either... You can calculate reflections, it's true, but forget about EQ ( or don't move a single inch!) and power response is useless in this context. Your only chance is to ignore reflections related issues like colorations, poor and unstable imaging, etc..., or try to ignore them: I CAN'T!

Desktop audio hopelessly stinks, but hey if some enjoy, so enjoy!

Last edited by GDO; 11th May 2011 at 10:19 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!