Compact for PC use (markaaudio, EJ Jordan, Tang bands...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tal vez será mejor usar el idioma de la casa...

I have tested a few speakers in desktop situation, among which 2 way studio monitors diy and comercial, JX92S in 3l cube, JX6 in a 1liter Hammond aluminium box ( daaaamped...:cool:), TB 3' bamboo, TB 4' titanium, etc ... and finally this last one:

ELTIM Elite 420

Though i must admit dsp is cool to tame the nasty colourations brought by the desktop (and others...) reflexions, the desktop is one of the worst places in the world ( probably after cars...) to listen to speakers, and there is still always something sounding wrong when listening to a loudspeaker shouting ( or wizzpering...) right in your face, in a word: it always sucks... and the best speakers i have listened to on the desktop always sound like crappy little toys!

So i have some good money to spend for the desktop, it would be for a nice pair of good heaphone, or else i would just through some pocket money for the next special offer at the nearest supermarket.:mad:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
have you actually analyzed performance of both drivers. Can we look at the harmonics and inter mods at different SPL levels? What are the differences in motor design? How does surround dampening factor works in to diaphragm ringing?
Price/performance issue has always been there. For me, Fostex for example is worthless because of it's shoutiness, no mater the price. And Fostex isn't exactly inexpensive.

The Fostex is a completely different beast. And i found the stock ones a bit hard on the ears long term, especially the larger ones.

The driver i had in mind was the conceptually similar Mark Audio CHR70. It sounds better, and the cost out of the factory is actually likely more than the JX92s. In terms of size the driver to compare JX92 to is the Alpair10.2 ($220 pr vrs $360/pr) and there is no contest. The JX92 are hear so that people can come to those conclusions themselves.

dave

Well I only ask for suggestions, not discusions!
First: apologies for writing in spanish.
Second: thanks to all for your help and replys. I really apreciate your time and help. What I'm really looking for is to share ideas and thoughts about diferent loudspeakers in the range that I'm looking for. THANKS
Third: I know we do many things wrong, but no body is perfect and not every one has time to spend in this hobby, or at least as much as somenone would wish. So what ever we do with our lodspeakers(either DIY or bought at the shop) or how we enjoy our time listening to music it's ones business. Many of my friends would say that I'm a bit freak with this DIY world and listening to music, and placeing loudspeakers, and using special cables, caps, resistors, coils, or spending 1000 euros in a pair of lowthers, or 200 Eu in a pair of caps, etc... But that doesn't give me the right to say it's compulsory for the rest; or if someone does it diferent he's absolutely wrong. To sum up, it's a just a present for a teenager; and I don't care if she will plug an ipod with crap mp3's, or if she will stick the loudspeakers in the sealing or next to the bed, or party with them. As long as she enjoy's them... that's fine. There are for her, not for me, and I'm not going to tell her where to place the loudspeakers, or what music she has to play, or whatever nonsense...

Music anytime, music anywhere, like snacks ... Fast food and music on the go ... Single serve pocket music on pocket speakers... You said nonsense ?:confused:

Yep! I do, and so what!!??
I listen to music anytime, anywhere and any kind!! and NOT like snaks neither like DELICATESSEN!!
What's all this snob rubbish

:deer:
Do you buy vinyls and cd's just because they are "jaiend" recorded?

What's all this snob rubbish

I am not a snob, i am simply twice your age and this means different behaviour, different consumer pattern, especially regarding music consumption, different stuff, different media, different moments, different... different so many things dear...:p;)

Age matters in audio Juanito, it's a fact and the audio industry knows it well!

Look for instance at B&W. Not long ago their only vision/mission was to offer the best speakers money can buy to people of my generation or of the generation of my father ( 3 times your age and still not deaf!:)). Well in fact, to be frank;), the best speakers my or my father's money can buy... Now this company lauches an eggshaped ufo speaker for Ipods ...:rolleyes: Yeah very cool...:eek: but not for my father ! Not even for me ! Must be for you dear, for you and people off YOUR generation, because my father and i belong to the past of B&W's business and your generation and the way they consume their music is the future of their business, and your generation pay much more attention to a Zeppelin than to a Nautilus, a well known extinct specie still present among us basically as fossiles, and i am afraid that this fact is frightenly clear for B&W too...:D

Well to be frank, it must be because of my age too but i am not sure that this future will be quite audiophile. For many loudspeaker manufacturers it was clear since the end of the last century that the changes in listening habits of young consumers would mean an enourmous business opportunity in the field of mini full range drivers for mini speakers, for the desktop, and to bring them with you anytime anywhere, etc.. They also know that such small speakers in such small packages are bound to suck like hell, but that are the consumer needs, that is the market and that is the business...as usual...:dunno:

My generation asked for quality audio, and we got it. Your generation basically asks for convenience audio, and so will be served...:(

The Fostex is a completely different beast. And i found the stock ones a bit hard on the ears long term, especially the larger ones.

The driver i had in mind was the conceptually similar Mark Audio CHR70. It sounds better, and the cost out of the factory is actually likely more than the JX92s. In terms of size the driver to compare JX92 to is the Alpair10.2 ($220 pr vrs $360/pr) and there is no contest. The JX92 are hear so that people can come to those conclusions themselves.

dave

To each it's own Dave. So far I can see that you like Alpair more but that doesn't make it better. Less expensive yes. Until there's an objective comparative testing backing up both driver's performance... well it's just our opinions. I don't sell the drivers, so my experience with other people speaker systems is probably smaller but I've heard people say exactly the opposite about Alpair drivers. BTW a pair of unshielded 92 is $320 not $360.
That was terribly OT.

I understand what you mean but I don't share 100%.
I'm not an expert with loudspeakers, but I've heard quite a few: DIY's and from the shop, also my own and from others. My subjective opinion is very diferent from others or sometimes similar, but it ends up with a matter of taste (salvando las diferencias claro).
May be this is not the right place to discuss this...

Juanito,

you can find the documentation about the "Little Susi" speakers here:

http://hifi.splibs.net/content/br/11/little_susi.pdf

The text is written in German, but you will understand, what is needed, what are the characteristics, when you look at the pictures.

This is what is needed:

[img=http://www.abload.de/thumb/ls002xcyc.jpg]

Have fun - Rudi_Ratlos

Must be a fine little speaker. On axis response looks very good indeed. Power response is excellent. Better then any full range systems can do for sure.

Must be a fine little speaker. On axis response looks very good indeed. Power response is excellent. Better then any full range systems can do for sure.

Good speakers also measure well, but the curves published here don't tell the whole story. Anyway, they are good, probably too good to be true.

The sad and ugly story would be to show what these curves look like, not anechoic, but in a real desktop setup with the mike at the position of the head. And no hope for a DSP Digital Desktop Correction...:eek: And don't move you head not a single inch or you loose your stereo...:sad:

Desktop speakers, the only speakers that never desapear !!!:D

Good speakers also measure well, but the curves published here don't tell the whole story. Anyway, they are good, probably too good to be true.

The sad and ugly story would be to show what these curves look like, not anechoic, but in a real desktop setup with the mike at the position of the head. And no hope for a DSP Digital Desktop Correction...:eek: And don't move you head not a single inch or you loose your stereo...:sad:

Desktop speakers, the only speakers that never desapear !!!:D

I agree with you on the fact that limited measurements provided, do not tell the whole story but there's no reason to assume that the measurements are too good to be true. Systems like that have been done a number of times with similar drivers and response. We are looking at very linear system with drivers used well within their passband, so there's also no reason to assume that non linear parameters are out of wak. Impedance sweep is free from glitches and we can also assume that there are no serious standing waves present. You can calculate reflections from near boundaries and either DSP it or just ignore.
Provided power response is very smooth falling and I believe "head in the vise" effect will not be there. Not sure how you made your conclusions.

You can calculate reflections from near boundaries and either DSP it or just ignore.
Provided power response is very smooth falling and I believe "head in the vise" effect will not be there. Not sure how you made your conclusions.

Seems like you are not precisely a desktop speaker guy either... You can calculate reflections, it's true, but forget about EQ ( or don't move a single inch!) and power response is useless in this context. Your only chance is to ignore reflections related issues like colorations, poor and unstable imaging, etc..., or try to ignore them: I CAN'T!

Desktop audio hopelessly stinks, but hey if some enjoy, so enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.