Compact for PC use (markaaudio, EJ Jordan, Tang bands...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
i'm looking for a pair of fullranges to build in compact (sealed or bass reflex) box. Very compact, otherwise I would go for a 2 way. I want to use them with a Ta2020 amplifier module from Arjen and as a PC set. So the source would be the laptop or MP3. It's for a present.
The clearest aproach to my needs is the EJ JXR6 in the sealed box suggested by the jordan website. Still, not very positive coments about the new Jordans...:confused:
Also the other closest aproach is the CHR70 mini bass reflex and the tang bands W4's
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Thanks very much!
Juanito

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How big is very compact? Alpair6M is likely the king for decent performance in the smallest possible box.

Attached are a couple variations. Neither has been built.

dave

Attachments

• tinyA6M-BR.gif
    tinyA6M-BR.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • nMar-Ken6M.gif
    nMar-Ken6M.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,232
The clearest aproach to my needs is the EJ JXR6 in the sealed box suggested by the jordan website. Still, not very positive coments about the new Jordans...o

I've used the JXR6 in a 2.25L ceramic enclosure for this use and it has worked fine. Pushing it back against the wall or into corners fills out the bass but for nearfield they are very clear and undistorted.

That size is fine for the alpair 6. I think arround 4-5 liters is the maximum I could achieve. Is that design valid for alpair 6P?
Are these markaudio's good like other popular small fullranges like the Tang bands?
Do you also think that JXR6 is worth for it's price?
Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That size is fine for the alpair 6. I think arround 4-5 liters is the maximum I could achieve. Is that design valid for alpair 6P?
Are these markaudio's good like other popular small fullranges like the Tang bands?
Do you also think that JXR6 is worth for it's price?
Cheers

There is one of my milliSize enclosures for the Alpair 6p (nominal 5.5 litre if sealed), so between that (4.7 litre) and 2.5 litre should be doable.

If you could go as large as millSize EL70 (also CHP70), CHR70, Alpair7, FE103e, FE127e, FE108eS, 2 x FF85, 2 x Fountek FX88ex all have versions of that size cabinet.

dave

There is one of my milliSize enclosures for the Alpair 6p (nominal 5.5 litre if sealed), so between that (4.7 litre) and 2.5 litre should be doable.

If you could go as large as millSize EL70 (also CHP70), CHR70, Alpair7, FE103e, FE127e, FE108eS, 2 x FF85, 2 x Fountek FX88ex all have versions of that size cabinet.

dave

...and from the millSize wich one do you recomend for rock, pop and electronic music(not disco thumbing)? Dificult decision!!:dunno:

My experience with fullranges is:
I've done a pair of FE207's in bass reflex cabinet wich I sold. They where my first diy's.
Then I have (at my mums home) a pair of FX120 in fostex recomended bass reflex + supertweeters ft17. These are very nice.
Also I have a small compact Omnes audios BB3 for my laptop. Very cheap DIY's, not bad. but this is not my main system at home obviously...

This kit I whant to do know is a present for my girlfriend's sister. And we would like to give her something better than my omnes audio's, although she liked them very much when she saw them. I was thinking of the jordans because of the quality. But then there are thes markaudio wich are very similar. Fostex may be to much as a compromise because they can be very diferent from average or peculiar. i mean that may be they can sound with low bass for some people. I find them very nice though, but they are not for me...

as for the other threads: thanks for the other suggestions. Nice enclosures, but I rather make small bookshelf so it can be placed easily anywhere and close to a laptop.

Hola Juanito,

If you really can live with a couple of 5 liters boxes on your desktop, the Jordan JX92S is really hard to beat.

JX6 is more a mid tweeter than a real full ranger, though for the desktop you can really get exceptionnaly clear mids and highs is a super compact package. I find even as low as 1 liter could just be ok for this use, but of course, you NEED a sub, especially considering your musical program.

I have JX92s. They'd be hard to beat if they were priced reasonably. At current pricing they are not so hard to beat.

dave

have you actually analyzed performance of both drivers. Can we look at the harmonics and inter mods at different SPL levels? What are the differences in motor design? How does surround dampening factor works in to diaphragm ringing?
Price/performance issue has always been there. For me, Fostex for example is worthless because of it's shoutiness, no mater the price. And Fostex isn't exactly inexpensive.

This is my "Little Susi". DIY - what else.

With TangBand W4-657B and Dayton ND20FA-6. 20 cm high, 3.3ltr volume.
I like it very much. And it sounds good.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

P.S. Here is the link for a bigger image: Bild: ls67z4.jpg - abload.de

That's the kind of loudspeaker I'm looking for!! that size is great! Where did you get that project from? do you have the direct link for it?

Hola Juanito,

If you really can live with a couple of 5 liters boxes on your desktop, the Jordan JX92S is really hard to beat.

JX6 is more a mid tweeter than a real full ranger, though for the desktop you can really get exceptionnaly clear mids and highs is a super compact package. I find even as low as 1 liter could just be ok for this use, but of course, you NEED a sub, especially considering your musical program.

Hola, Has probado el JX6?
La idea es montar un altavoz de tamaño tirando a pequeño ( por decir, 4 litros) y que sea sencillo de transportar y de mover con un ampli TA2020. Los kits que he visto suelen ser con un todobanda, aunque prefiero un dos vías. De los kits de dos vías que he visto interesantes se disparan de tamaño de caja. Es como un altavoz de estantería convencional.
El chico que ha sacado la foto de sus altavoces con el portátil es un tamaño ideal. Eso sería cojonudo.
De los kits de todobanda, pues no se. Yo tengo unos omnes audio bb3, y bueno... para mi en el ordenador bien, pero nada más. Si los usara para más cosas que el ordenador desde luego no me los habría hecho, para escuchar música tengo otros.
Pero bueno, estoy casi convencido de que hay todobandas que a pesar de que se hagan pagar es posible que también lo notes en la calidad. Los JX6R tienen buena pinta porque puedes variar el volumen de la caja, desde uno a 4 litros.
Los markaudio, pues nose, parecen un poco versión plástico de los Jordan, aunque no tengo ni idea y no quiero decirlo muy alto por si acaso.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.