onken as a near field monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everyone.

Have been trying to gather some feedback about directions, so going to be more specific now:

I guess this may be for Mr planet 10 - but:
Would a fonken work well as a near/mid field monitor? And specifically, would it work well with a TB W5-1611SA - 5inch?

Thanks!
T:usd:gril.

As there are many iterations of the onken, which one are you referring to? I suspect the smaller ones would work very well NF, but the flange of the TB w5-1611 is likely too large for the chamfered baffle micro/milli/prime. This driver has alot of potential IMO, and deserves a dedicated design. I may just get to work on one.

Last edited:
Yes - trying to work out the itterations of the Fonken familly. Basically the Prime I think:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/88557-new-fonken-pair-born.html

What would be required to work out the sizes - I found a calculator link on a thread here - but 'tis dead.
I also believe there is potential, but limited budgets mean I can't really experiment that much.
Fonkens are just so NICE!

Would a fonken work well as a near/mid field monitor? And specifically, would it work well with a TB W5-1611SA - 5inch?

Using WinISD, the W5 looks pretty good in an 18 liter box, F3 at 50Hz. With 6 vents, each one would measure 100mm x 9.0mm x 283mm long.

BTW, this is Q3B tuning, not real Onken tuning.

jeff

Attachments

• W5-1611 onken.jpg
    W5-1611 onken.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 695
Thanks Dave and VynilKid58.
I am extremely interested in building this.
Is there an amount of "chuffing" with the fonken/onken port design? (port noise)

Am also assuming that the length of port is dictated by the "inner" wall (behind the battons)?

50hz is quite respectable for me.

We've not had any chuffing issues with our builds... vent wants to be long.

dave

Excellent.
If I can ask, would the panel width and be the same 12mm / 1/2inch for the larger 18ltr cabinet? (and wool felt thickness)...

.....Actually, I have just been looking at the fonken plans, and realise i't's not just a case of altering the internal volumes and internal "walls" (vent length?).

Well, I'm still very keen to give it a go.

t:usd:gril

Actually, the Fonken isn't a 'real Onken' either. The Onken can trace its lineage back through the Jensen Ultraflex to Thuras's original BR, & it's principle goal is to use its massive vent system to provide maximum efficiency at Fb. Dave's Fonkens, despite their similar appearance, use their high aspect ratio vents to provide something more akin to an aperiodic alignment.

At a fundamental level, all vented cabinets are tuned by altering their Vb and vent dimensions to achieve a desired tuning alignment with a given drive unit. Whether that merits a 'just' is rather more open to question though, as this, except in the case of drivers which are drop-in replacements for one already used in a given enclosure, essentially means 'design a new cabinet from scratch.'

Using WinISD, the W5 looks pretty good in an 18 liter box, F3 at 50Hz. With 6 vents, each one would measure 100mm x 9.0mm x 283mm long. BTW, this is Q3B tuning, not real Onken tuning.
jeff

Well, Ive tried the following tools: BassBox6, WinISD (seems well used here) , the Onken XLspreadsheet calculator, and a 3D package (maya) and I can't get any of the numbers to work. Not bad for a noob!
Mainly it comes down to fitting the vents in and still having enough width on the baffle. Can get either one, but not the other. Ive been squishing 3D boxes until my eyes bleed.
...Now I realise I could ......ok.... am missing many things here, but I can't see a way of making it fit.

Balls : )
Tog.

Last edited:
Something Scott said has me planning on getting a pair of these...

Cool!

Ok, so after a bit of futzing around we have a box. Internal vol. is ~20L + 1.5L for the vents, minus ~1.5L for the brace and driver motor (guessing here). Included is a crappy layout drawing.:eek:

jeff

Attachments

• TB-W51611 Onken REV1.PDF
    44.3 KB · Views: 119
  • W5-1611 ONKEN REV1.jpg
    W5-1611 ONKEN REV1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 557
Hi all - so built a mock up of the 20ltr onken type thing, supplied by Jeff. (see attached images). and hooked it up to a daytona T100a and an iphone.
Bear in mind....it's cardboard + I have no testing equipment save a mulitmeter (is that usefull?)
There is promise here. Although the speakers are so new - and do sound a little " 1 dimensional" (run them in?)
Maybe I am too used to multi ways with their discreet fequencies.
Definitely some "shout" in theses, especially when listening to Joni Mitchell (shout scream wai!l).
good for ennio morricone.
great for the stranglers.
good for zappa.
Would be hoping for more bass response + "punch" with wood.

er...now what?

Togril.

Attachments

• IMG_20110514_163657.jpg
    IMG_20110514_163657.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20110514_175952.jpg
    IMG_20110514_175952.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_20110514_164649.jpg
    IMG_20110514_164649.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_20110514_181646.jpg
    IMG_20110514_181646.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nice work. I'm sure the speaker would bloom with a stiff wood enclosure, lifting the lows and mids in relation to the highs. If the highs are still an issue there are simple ways to attenuate those. Aesthetically, those Onken style enclosures are tops. Love to hear one sometime.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.