onken as a near field monitor - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2011, 03:59 PM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice work - if it's easy to do, I'd suggest trying some thinner gauge solid wire, and it never hurts to give the drivers several hundred hours of playing time before assessing any requirements for filters, tweeters etc.
Old 13th July 2011, 02:23 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by togril View Post
This was all done with very limited tools. Very limited.
Will, you are to be congratulated on a job well done. Those boxes look very nice indeed. I'm glad they sound good too.

jeff
Old 13th July 2011, 02:24 PM   #33
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Nice work - if it's easy to do, I'd suggest trying some thinner gauge solid wire.
noticed some recommend a strand of Cat5 wire in fullrange cabinets to connect the drivers to the outside, what would be the result compared to my habit of using 18gauge speaker wire?
Old 13th July 2011, 05:17 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Try it and let us know your take. Very system dependent.

dave
Old 13th July 2011, 11:25 PM   #35
togril is offline togril  Australia
diyAudio Member

I took out the thick cable and replaced it with a twisted pair (2 strands on each blade) of cat 5 last night before reading this.

There is a considerable change in presence, if that's the right word. More clarity, more definition, but not less frequency range. I A-B'd it across the speakers as I did them, so definitely not a placebo effect.

I am hoping to properly seal the back panels on shortly, so I'll give it a few days.
Because of the posts going straight into the back, it will be hard to get a soldering iron in there.

tgril
Old 14th July 2011, 01:22 AM   #36
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by togril View Post
I took out the thick cable and replaced it with a twisted pair (2 strands on each blade) of cat 5 last night before reading this.

There is a considerable change in presence, if that's the right word. More clarity, more definition, but not less frequency range. I A-B'd it across the speakers as I did them, so definitely not a placebo effect.

I am hoping to properly seal the back panels on shortly, so I'll give it a few days.
Because of the posts going straight into the back, it will be hard to get a soldering iron in there.

tgril
I will try it on my next build, started to cut wood...
Old 14th July 2011, 11:41 AM   #37
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

I loved the Cat5 effect too- I started with my interconnects - the difference was noticeable rightaway, but YMMV.
Old 14th July 2011, 07:32 PM   #38
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

do I understand this correctly, replacing a few inches of wire between speaker driver and speaker enclosure binding posts in the makes a difference - even though the much longer cable from the binding posts to the amplifier remains unchanged ??? or do you use cat5 all the way ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th July 2011, 08:42 PM   #39
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

I replaced roughly a meter of interconnect wire and could hear the difference.

Why not try step by step - and let us know your expereince?

First - listen with wire you use normally
2nd - use Cat5 for interconnect and listen to the same stuff
3rd - Cat5 also for internal speaker wiring
4th - If step 2 and 3 were worthwhile replace speaker cables

Last edited by zman01; 14th July 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 15th July 2011, 01:02 AM   #40
togril is offline togril  Australia
diyAudio Member

I only replaced the wire inside the speaker - about 14 inches max - and I heard a difference. I left the other speaker original untill I had heard the result. Which were positive. For me. (I was worried about "imagining a difference" or losing frequency response so I needed an a/b comparison).

I know some people use cat 5 twisted then braided for their main cable (amp to speakers). That's a bigger job that I would be interested to try sometime.

Just to clarify:
I just have the single drive units powered by a little Dayton T100a amplifier.
The difference was there for me - more clrarity, and I heard nuances in more simple audio (Bonnie Prince Billy) that was not present with the other cable......... and I felt somehow "content" about having the thin cat 5 in there! most unscientific!

Dave stated it was system dependant, and I know that it's a bone of contention for many audiophile types, as is all cable, really.

I am 48 - my ears probably have a nasty mid range spike! so I have know Idea about how they sound to anyone younger or older!

For the full blown "carpet python":
DIY Cat5 Speaker Cables
make sure you read the caution bit though.

Zman01's post makes sense.

Will.

Last edited by togril; 15th July 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!