onken as a near field monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to try Cat5-cables today (spare time, nothing else to do) and i'd like to A-B switch with the amplifier without having to change cables all the time. I thought of having my thicker cables on the A output and Cat5 on the B output. Both connected to the speaker but i switch between A and B on the amplifier. Would thae be possible without hurting the amplifier?

With one strand of Cat5, can you put 20w through it without it burning off?

hello everyone!!
i have a pair of w5 1611 saf and i want use them to build a pair of nearfield speakers for my pc.
i always want to try to build an onken-style speaker but i don't even know where to start and then i find this topic...!!
this project is really wonderful but it's a little bit big...
here's the question: there is any way to make the box smaller, something around 15 liters??
an then, can someone please help me design it??
best regards,
bernik.

p.s. sorry for my english...

Hi togril,

Nice work. Congratulations! :)

Say, TBH, I like your cardboard box better :p

And I haven't seen your comments on the comparison between two types of boxes. ( Or did I miss it? )

I myself have had quite some nice experiences with cardboard. It's such a fantastic material.

Once I had used the woofers in their own orginal cardboard boxes. Just open the lids of box and let it play upfiring. It's surprisingly well behaved.

Long after, I thought the cardboard is somewhat leaky, so the response is probably kind of aperiodic and cardioid, thus blending so well with room acoustics.

I learned it the hard way, by building a pair of huge cabinets with 1" thick MDF at the corners. And then I found the cardboard sounded better while the cabinets had been fixed onto the wall and floor. Duh.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.