Alpair 7 with loose magnet...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I received my new ordered alpair 7's from Europe Audio.

When I opened the box I saw that one of the speakers had a loose 2nd magnet.

My question:
Can I glue the magnet back on myself, (what type of glue?) or do I have to return them?

greetings, Paul

Attachments

• fotoA7.JPG
    fotoA7.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 236
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes you can reglue it but it's a little tricky. I would use epoxy and a vice. Remember you have to have the magnet with opposing polarity so it's likely to be a two person job. If the magnet came off it probably took quite a jolt so you might want to make sure everything else is ok and that the original glue job was a weak link. Also look into surface prep before you attempt to glue.

Hey Cal,
Its not opposing polarity; it snaps right into place if I put it back on. I'm sure thats how it's supposed to be, because the cap is still glued to the second magnet.
Also, I'm not so shure about placing a driver made out of plastic in a vice..

greetings, Paul

Hi Paul,
My apologies for this problem. Cal is wrong, there's a quick simple fix.

1 - Use a wire brush to roughen both contact surfaces. You only need to brush for a minute or so. Wipe clean with a soft dry cloth.
2 - Apply a good quality epoxy glue to both surfaces and gently press together. The magnetic tension will do the rest (Don't use a vice as Cal suggests).

This method will make the fix and the driver will perform normally.

Thanks

Mark.

Last edited:
Sorry Mark, not trying to interfere here but I am confused. It's not a bucking magnet? If that's the case, I apologize, the vice is for bucking magnets and should be used with the driver mounted to a temporary baffle.

Hi Cal, no worries,

The Alps have attracting magnet systems so its an easy fix (no vice needed). I am contemplating using no glue on this section, giving the guys the choice of non-sheilding or partial shielding. The potential advantage of the non-shield is a slight increase in SPL as the drive-train electrical damping changes; And there's less mass behind the cone inside the box.

The new batch of Alpair 7's have retaining guide lugs built-in to the back of the frame mount so this method is easily possible. More on this when I announce the latest Alp7 in the next week or so.

I'm already running a prototype unit with this option. I'd need to do more testing on this to make sure other performance factors remain stable.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Mark, thanks for the method. I will fix it myself then, no need to send it back.
As to other damage: I can see none. Wonder why it came loose....

Greetings, Paul

Ps. Diyaudio is a amazing place! Where else can you get advice from the man who designed and created the speaker?

Mark, thanks for the method. I will fix it myself then, no need to send it back. As to other damage: I can see none. Wonder why it came loose....
Greetings, Paul
Ps. Diyaudio is a amazing place! Where else can you get advice from the man who designed and created the speaker?

Hi Paul,
I' happy to say its extremely rare to have a glue failure. I've only had 2 fails like this from total runs of 12,000 drivers (Alp7, EL-70 and 2 X OEM versions) Looking at your pic, the glue is evenly spread. It won't be jolt or knock, you would have noticed severely crushed packaging.

We use a 2 pack bonding system (2 glues mixed and applied by machine). This method is industrial and reliable. I recon there will be very slight contamination (moisture or similar) in the joint, hence why I'd like you to lightly wire brush them. That should do the trick. You won't need much glue, just a thin layer on both surfaces.

Glad to help

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Why is this? The functions of increased flux density and magnetic field suppression seem to require opposed magnetisation?

Hi Badman,
Who told you that? Stray magnetic field suppression is an outcome from either method. More important is the control and distribution of the density inside the coil chamber. Now you can start to guess how I extract linear oscillation.;)

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Paul,
No problem, it will work fine. I guess the glue's set? When I'm making prototypes, I use a couple of short screwdrivers (or a small piece of wood) wedged into the back of the frame and temporarily taped to hold until set. But I only do this is only when I have the time.

Provided you've got the glue two surfaces nice a flat (wire brush), the metal cap will limit any off-set to within 2-mm.

Cheers

Mark.

Yes the glue is set; guess its OK now. I wire brushed both surfaces with a dremel (?).
The metal cap did indeed limit the off center thing. I glued it with UHU epoxy; it should be good for 300Kg/cm2.
Now they have to go back in the box till my "build my own CNC mill" project is done; then I can give them the enclosure they deserve.

Thanks again!

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.