Can you make a decent enclosure out plastic or metal boxes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does plastic make a decent audio enclosure? Something like this?
These are waterproof and already made :) and I am looking for something that can at least withstand the rain.

I’m not looking for the best audio enclosure but decent, like there are enclosure types/materials that im sure are just bad ideas.

What about an ammo can? if I can find one that is somewhat light it would look neat. (I have to carry this around ALOT).

GM

Joined 2003
Both can be used in high sound quality [SQ] apps if required, though normally they're used for less sonically demanding apps. For wet apps, of course rain-proof/vibration resistant drivers are required such as old Babbs or similar and some motorcycle rated ones, etc..

GM

Equipment cases such as Pelican brand cases and the Seahorse one are a little too flexible to make good enclosures (I've tried it). For small enclosures consider diecast metal boxes:
Hammond Mfg. - Eddystone Line - Diecast Aluminum Enclosures

They also make plastic (GRP) boxes in similar form factors.

For larger enclosures, check out electrical switchboard boxes (see your local electrical supply wholesaler). Some of them are rigid and airtight enough (designed for hazardous environments).

In answer to your specific question rather than getting into an idealistic rant over wood or other materials.

The plastic enclosure you have identified will make an OK speaker. It would be good to cross brace it to reduce the pannel vibration and add some damping material to the inner surfaces if you hear high frequency emphasis when you listen to the side of the box (keep the volume quite low when doing this). Retain the foam and use some of it to fill the enclosure this will reduce standing waves and increase bass slightly by reducing the speed of sound.

Will it make the best speaker in the world - No.
Will it be really quite good - if you use good drivers and don't expect it to play at 120dB then yes.

Regards,
Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.