Are these coral flat 10's ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My thoughts:
I'd say don't buy. Even if they were technically ok now, someone who is that uncareful to make precious drivers look like that, doesn't deserve to sell.
What's more, you don't know what they have been subjected to otherwise. They might have periodic failures or damage that is so slight that ill effects will only show up after some time.
If you are anything like me, cosmetic damage like that, could also become a real eyesore over time, that will keep you from fully enjoying them.

Those drivers have had a hard time. Permanent creases on both surrounds and cones. I might be wrong but likely due to being well over-driven for extended periods. Water damage and who has a clue as to why the alu caps and whizzers look the way they do.

Save your money for something else.

Can you go listen to them in person before buying?

I'm not that put off by the metal cap and damage to the tweeter cone. I'm actually more concerned about the folds in the upper and lower surround you see on the lower picture (second driver). How did those happen?

Overall, for a vintage Coral Flat 10, I wouldn't discount it yet.

indeed, i have corals flat 8, and i have cut out the metal cap: they sound much much much better then with,

you should watch out for the suspension: not the cracks as such, but it is treaded with some sticky stuff to keep it flexible, after years it drys out and the driver isn't capable of producing bass. So if you go to listen them, make shure they are in an enclosure, (even a paper box is good enough, that you can hear if they still produce enough bass. (to be honest: i don't think they will) and there is no consensus how to solve the problem of the hard vernis on the suspension);

indeed, i have corals flat 8, and i have cut out the metal cap: they sound much much much better then with,

you should watch out for the suspension: not the cracks as such, but it is treaded with some sticky stuff to keep it flexible, after years it drys out and the driver isn't capable of producing bass. So if you go to listen them, make shure they are in an enclosure, (even a paper box is good enough, that you can hear if they still produce enough bass. (to be honest: i don't think they will) and there is no consensus how to solve the problem of the hard vernis on the suspension);

Yes there is! Try Armor All(shiny spray) on the suspensions!:)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/153751-fostex-new-speaker-treatment-coral-flat-8-a-6.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.