Room Walls as waveguides?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever tried mounting a driver/s to a baffle, and mounting that baffle into the corner of the room on the wall, so the corner of the room is the box and the walls themselves become a wave guide?

im want to fill a 'whole room' with sweet full range sound, not have 1 dedicated listening position with a 3D image.

any thoughts on my "corner mounted wave guide" idea?

cool thanks :)

Soffit mounting is a technique used regularly in recording studios. It eliminates the baffle step associated with having a pair of speakers sitting out in the room. The radiation angle at low frequencies is confined to 90 degrees in the horizontal plane. The Unity horns also have a radiation angle which is around 90 degrees at the crossover frequency, narrowing to 60 degrees up higher. Having a speaker system with essentially the same radiation angle at all frequencies guarantees a flat power response. This can clearly be heard when walking around the listening room, and indeed the whole house. Apart from a reduction in exteme treble, the sound essentially doesn't change as you walk around the house.

Last edited:
Yeh - I have bad dreams about doing something like William has done - and then a few months later SWMBO sez - honey - I want to rearrange the furniture. :eek::eek::eek:

wouldnt matter :)

"This can clearly be heard when walking around the listening room, and indeed the whole house. Apart from a reduction in exteme treble, the sound essentially doesn't change as you walk around the house"

do it :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
wouldnt matter :)

1) I'm not sure if you are familiar with GRITS - Girls Raised In The South
2) I'm pretty sure that you are not familiar with SWMBO - born and bred in Nashville + is a spoiled Doctors brat.

3) The combination of #1+ #2 is - hmmmmmmm - let me say that it can represent a considerable challenge to counter on a long term basis. AND there WILL BE payback involved at some point. Fortunately for me I am at and older and wiser point in my life where I don't give a rat's behind. :rolleyes:

2) I'm pretty sure that you are not familiar with SWMBO - born and bred in Nashville + is a spoiled Doctors brat.

3) The combination of #1+ #2 is - hmmmmmmm - let me say that it can represent a considerable challenge to counter on a long term basis. AND there WILL BE payback involved at some point. Fortunately for me I am at and older and wiser point in my life where I don't give a rat's behind. :rolleyes:

and they keep us around, even after our gamete donation to the future generation - perhaps it's pity / charity?

Oh Sure,

It's easy for you old guys to say that! :D

What about us young, "Totally with-it" types that are full of energy, testosterone and inspiration....

Jeez, I just looked in the mirror...Who the hell is that!.. and what's he doing in my mirror?

Terry "Suddenly Shaken" Olson

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Oh Sure,

It's easy for you old guys to say that! :D

What about us young, "Totally with-it" types that are full of energy, testosterone and inspiration....

Jeez, I just looked in the mirror...Who the hell is that!.. and what's he doing in my mirror?

Terry "Suddenly Shaken" Olson

Yeah - I gotta old guy that lives in da mirror too. The difference is that he's left handed soooooooooo I know it isn't me - because I'm right handed!!! :p

Has anyone ever tried mounting a driver/s to a baffle, and mounting that baffle into the corner of the room on the wall, so the corner of the room is the box and the walls themselves become a wave guide?

im want to fill a 'whole room' with sweet full range sound, not have 1 dedicated listening position with a 3D image.

any thoughts on my "corner mounted wave guide" idea?

That, my friend, is the main thrust of the Pi constant directivity cornerhorn design:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.