Room Walls as waveguides? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Room Walls as waveguides?

Has anyone ever tried mounting a driver/s to a baffle, and mounting that baffle into the corner of the room on the wall, so the corner of the room is the box and the walls themselves become a wave guide?

im want to fill a 'whole room' with sweet full range sound, not have 1 dedicated listening position with a 3D image.

any thoughts on my "corner mounted wave guide" idea?
Old 1st May 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Take a look at William's web-site for a similar idea.
William Cowan's Homepage

Look at the Unity, the Finale
Old 1st May 2011, 04:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

cool thanks

Soffit mounting is a technique used regularly in recording studios. It eliminates the baffle step associated with having a pair of speakers sitting out in the room. The radiation angle at low frequencies is confined to 90 degrees in the horizontal plane. The Unity horns also have a radiation angle which is around 90 degrees at the crossover frequency, narrowing to 60 degrees up higher. Having a speaker system with essentially the same radiation angle at all frequencies guarantees a flat power response. This can clearly be heard when walking around the listening room, and indeed the whole house. Apart from a reduction in exteme treble, the sound essentially doesn't change as you walk around the house.

Last edited by 60ndown; 1st May 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 1st May 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

im doing it with CSS el70s and a sub

Last edited by 60ndown; 1st May 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 1st May 2011, 06:06 PM   #5
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
Soffit mounting is a technique used regularly in recording studios.
Yeh - I have bad dreams about doing something like William has done - and then a few months later SWMBO sez - honey - I want to rearrange the furniture.
Old 1st May 2011, 06:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Yeh - I have bad dreams about doing something like William has done - and then a few months later SWMBO sez - honey - I want to rearrange the furniture.
wouldnt matter

"This can clearly be heard when walking around the listening room, and indeed the whole house. Apart from a reduction in exteme treble, the sound essentially doesn't change as you walk around the house"

do it
Old 1st May 2011, 07:14 PM   #7
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
wouldnt matter
1) I'm not sure if you are familiar with GRITS - Girls Raised In The South
2) I'm pretty sure that you are not familiar with SWMBO - born and bred in Nashville + is a spoiled Doctors brat.

3) The combination of #1+ #2 is - hmmmmmmm - let me say that it can represent a considerable challenge to counter on a long term basis. AND there WILL BE payback involved at some point. Fortunately for me I am at and older and wiser point in my life where I don't give a rat's behind.
Old 1st May 2011, 09:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hump??...what hump?
Old 1st May 2011, 09:47 PM   #9
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

When I read "Soffit mounting" I was expecting something totally different, these are not soffit mounted at all, but still cool nonetheless

Soffit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by DaveCan; 1st May 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:44 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
1) I'm not sure if you are familiar with GRITS - Girls Raised In The South
2) I'm pretty sure that you are not familiar with SWMBO - born and bred in Nashville + is a spoiled Doctors brat.

3) The combination of #1+ #2 is - hmmmmmmm - let me say that it can represent a considerable challenge to counter on a long term basis. AND there WILL BE payback involved at some point. Fortunately for me I am at and older and wiser point in my life where I don't give a rat's behind.

and they keep us around, even after our gamete donation to the future generation - perhaps it's pity / charity?

Hide this!Advertise here!