Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2011, 04:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Very Small Woofer

Please forgive my ignorance here. I've been searching the web for a long time, and have searched boards here too. Let me just lay out my dilemna...

My wife plays bass guitar, and I want to install an onboard amp. The amp circuit I will be using is here:

Speaker Drive Amplifier

I spoke with the manufacturer, who says it will work for bass, and recommends an 8ohm woofer at 5 watts or better. Here's the big problem...

I might be able to squeeze a 4" round speaker in there, but ideally should go with something slightly smaller. The big, big problem is that the bass is only 1.5" deep. I'd go the full 1.5" and put a plastic plate over the back, but don't want anything deeper than that. I'm also looking to do it cheap.

I'm willing to make compromises. Obviously sound quality won't be great, and it doesn't need to be super loud. At minimum, she should be able to hear herself practicing with the tv on and/or the baby screaming. The dream scenario would be that she could hear herself in a rehearsal, at the approximate decibel level of an unamplified acoustic guitar.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help you might offer.

-Solid
Old 1st May 2011, 06:27 AM   #2
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a 3" Aurasound full range that goes down to 80 Hz which should work for you.

It is 8 ohms, costs $12.50 and actually puts out decent bass although not at high levels.

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=1400

It is 2 inches deep so you'll have to put an "extension ring" or 1/2" spacer on it for the magnet to clear.

Last edited by 18Hurts; 1st May 2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Brain cramp
Old 1st May 2011, 08:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You're probably going to need a more efficient speaker than the one above: a screaming baby is very loud.

How about making it so she can plug headphones in? You don't have to install a speaker, the sound quality, bass extension and maximum volume would be much better.
She'd need something to plug in to for rehearsals with an acoustic guitar, but for practicing at home, I think headphones are the way to go.

Chris

PS - this came up on the same website, 5dB more efficiency, losing some bass extension. There's other stuff, with sensitivity of~88dB at 1w, , but you lose yet more bass extension for more volume. It's all compromise...
Old 1st May 2011, 09:23 AM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Chris661,

I think she needs to be able to hear the baby scream (and attend to it) - headphones might pose a problem there...
Old 1st May 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm probably going to add a headphones output in addition to a speaker. The amp circuit allows for it.

Thanks for the replies. Both those speakers you mentioned have a depth significantly greater than 1.5"/38mm. They'd hang out of the guitar. I ran across this one last night. Do you think it would work?

Tang Band W2-1625SA 2" Neodymium Subwoofer

They call it a subwoofer, but at that size, I can't imagine it won't produce some full range sounds. And if not, may I could compliment it with another speaker or something??
Old 1st May 2011, 01:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just to be clear on what you are trying to do:

"I want to install an onboard amp"

"the bass is only 1.5" deep"

Are you building an amplifier (including speaker/enclosure) into her bass guitar?

If that is the case then you need not be concerned with getting a good very small woofer. Any such driver will require an enclosure of some kind to produce bass. Any (solid body) guitar mounted speaker will be limited to about 200Hz and up. These drivers will have a sensitivity in the range of 78-84db/w/m. You might be better off choosing an open back midrange speaker - greater sensitivity, and operating open back.

Not trying to rain on your project. Just want to keep expectations realistic.

Possibilities open up quite a bit if you consider a miniature bass guitar amplifier, like those shown on the website, but somewhat larger for bass guitar.

Bob
Old 1st May 2011, 02:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I say build a good headphone amplifier and use a good pair of studio headphones, then do what my uncle does when he is practicing and still wants to interact with his family... he wears the cans on his neck. IMO, this will give you the low notes that a small non-enclosed speaker driver cannot.

:)ensen.
Old 1st May 2011, 07:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. Let me be clearer. If this were my guitar, either or those solutions would be fine. But I just plug into my effects processor, which is wired to my desktop PC, and practice there, with all the effects and amp mods I'll be using in performance. My wife, on the other hand, will sit on the couch playing unplugged and singing in a different key, which is just as well, because the strings aren't generally in tune anyway. This works for her because she can't hear what she's playing. However, if she could hear what she was playing, I can't help but think it would make her a better bass player.

There will probably be a headphones jack on her guitar, but I'll be shocked if she ever uses it. Too much work. I do think she'd turn a knob on though.

So do you think that Tang Band 2" Subwoofer is probably not a good candidate? I was thinking about an old tv speaker maybe, but I'm worried I might not get enough low end.

Thanks again,
David
Old 1st May 2011, 07:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

On a bass guitar, the E-string is supposed to be tuned to about 41 Hz and the G-string is about 98 Hz. Most 3" speakers can barely reach down to 100 Hz so I highly doubt that any little 2" speaker will go anywhere near that low and still be audible at her ears.

:)ensen.
Old 1st May 2011, 09:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Given the purpose of your project, the limited power and the tight fit, here are a few drivers that might be what you are looking for.

Vifa TC9FD
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-1062s.pdf

HiWave 2" square driver
http://www.parts-express.com/docs/sp...spec-sheet.pdf

TB W3-881S
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-812s.pdf

Peerless 830-985
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-1050s.pdf

TB W2-800SL
Tang Band W2-800SL 2" Aluminum/Mg Full Range Driver

'Factory Buyout'
3" x 5" Ribbed Paper Cone Shielded Woofer Speaker
At this price you could buy a few spares!

Choose based on fit (dimensions) and efficiency.

Regards,

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!