Full range center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new here so first, hi to all of you. I am thinking about building a new center channel. With the WAF being important, one big concern is size so I was thinking about 3" speakers, hivi or aurasound in a sealed box.

With the sensitivity of 3" being so poor, I thought of installing 3 speakers in parallel, hoping to bring the sensitivity above 86 dB.

Since I can't find this type of arrangement on any other design, I guess I'm missing something. Is there any reason this shouldn't work?

Thank's you for any input.

Marc

Just finished a multi-speaker array for a horizontal center channel.

Four 5" woofers and a 30mm tweeter running a 2.5 way crossover. Since an array really does not get along well and vocals were my concern, I measured the center to center distance between the outer "woofers", the inner "mid-woofers" and the "mid-tweeter". 450 Hz for the 6dB/Octave to the mid-woofers (inductor) then the mid-woofers crossed to the large WaveCor 30mm beast of a tweeter. The mid/tweet X-over is 1.8 KHz and the mess works well for vocals.

Checked it against my Infiinity Overture 1 speakers (MTM with BSC 8" bi-amped woofer firing through wave guides) it sounded alike with smooth panning. Since I'm content with the Overture 1's (vintage 1999), the center had to match and it does very well. The 2.5 foot wide center channel is rather large but is about the same as the Infinities at 92dB 1w/1m. Since the 2.5 way takes care of baffle step--it matches the Infinity active baffle step.

What I learned was center channels are a !@#@$@! to get to match the left and right channels. They can go horizontal but the rules of the D'Appolito MTM alignment must be followed exactly! Center channel = human voice as the discriminator--once it does voices well--then you nailed it.

Glad I'm done with that project--stereo 2 channel is a breeze compared to getting a center channel to work properly and fit WAF requirements.

The thing that really helped me was reading about the D'Appolito MTM alignment requirements, beaming, wavelength distances, 2.5 way crossovers and shooting for vocal clarity in the 200 to 10 KHz range. The thing will do 20KHz but the top octave was never a concern--that WaveCor 30mm dome tweeter at 1.8 KHz Linkwitz/Riley 18dB/Oct filter is the key. The 94dB 1w/1m really helped there. Padding resistors engaged!

Most of all--make some sawdust! I was shocked that theory actually mirrored reality and the center channel matched in timber, sensitivity and clarity of the left/right channels. It is a shame that it just does "vocals" but such is surround sound--it shuts off with anything strictly "musical".

The only tweak left is the surrounds, 4 tweeters and a few crossover parts and that is done. The music/surround system is complete and will remain so for the next 25 years to life.

Now to get to the garage party/raise hell speakers. I have an idea and will go with my gut on this one. Too many religious views on correct alignment so I'm rolling PA/automotive/HT alignment on this one. No oil/film capacitors or 99.999999 OFC copper will be used.

One more time-- D'Appolito array and time alignment are your friends with center channels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.