What FR $250 pair, driver works best in a bookshelf sized speaker? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2011, 01:16 AM   #1
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What FR $250 pair, driver works best in a bookshelf sized speaker?

I'd like to build a pair of speakers for a friend, bookshelf sized, and unfortunately they will be hung on/from brackets on the wall.

full/extended range, no x-overs please.

Transparency, tonality, non fatiguing and the ability to get 'slightly louder' then your average 3 watt amp does,

are more important then *imaging*

Im good with tools and wood, and can build almost anything, but prefer not to build one of those *crazy complicated* horn enclosures.

medium/larger sized room, SS amplification , hung on the wall, and a sub will take over duty from about 60hz n down

'world music' is the norm, not classical or jazz

anyone want to recommend a driver and box design?

or do I give him my Fe167es?

thanks in advance for any ideas/guidance/help.

Last edited by 60ndown; 30th April 2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 30th April 2011, 05:31 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

How big is bookshelf sized? From the FE167 suggestion, i'm guessing 15 litres is OK. Given the amp, the kind of music, your requiremnts, and the ability to "get slightly louder", i'd suggest CSS/Mark Audio EL70. Works well in a wide range of enclosures.

Even if you go for the "deluxe" version of the driver you'll be well within your budget.

Here is a lomg thread on one person's experience. Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

dave
Old 30th April 2011, 01:48 PM   #3
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

its funny, just yesterday i was typing how a product doesnt have to be expensive to be excellent, but when im shown a $55 driver that may fill my needs i automatically want to spend more.

CSS has a few kits, all id have to do is build a box, well 2 boxes.

thanks for the suggestion
Old 30th April 2011, 02:47 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
its funny, just yesterday i was typing how a product doesnt have to be expensive to be excellent, but when im shown a $55 driver that may fill my needs i automatically want to spend more.
No worries there mate - if you really desire expensive drivers we can suggest several!!!! Not that they will sound any better - but what the heck - it's only money........
Old 30th April 2011, 02:54 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'd say the short answer is the Jordan JX92S, but its somewhat over your budget.

TBH for full range drivers you should look at VFM, not a specific price point IMO.

rgds, Sreten.
Old 30th April 2011, 07:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tang Band W5-1611
Old 30th April 2011, 07:56 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

I'd say the short answer is the Jordan JX92S, but its somewhat over your budget.
The Jordan is a very good driver, but overpriced IMHO. I have a pair here (BTW, the best of 3 pair i have had), who's sole purpose is to let people listen to them in comparison with other drivers. For the same price as a single JX92S (at least in the US, in the UK things are somewhat different i understand) you can buy a pair of Alpair 7 for instance -- it is only one example of a better driver for less money (my opinion, you can drop by and make your own evaluation). The similar sized Alpair 10.2 is only $50 more than the A7. I haven't heard the TB dynablasters has suggested but it certainly looks interesting. But for the requirements (as can be gathered from what is posted), i'd still recommend EL70 as having a better balance to cover the requirments. The budget has room for either more quantity (2 pair) or quality (enhanced EL70), or put the spare budget into better source/amp or take everyone out to dinner.

Sreten is right thou that one should look at VAF (Value for Money), and even more importantly driver/box combos that fit the usuage requirements first.

dave
Old 30th April 2011, 08:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

planet10 why don't you try those TB, they are best VAF
Old 30th April 2011, 08:40 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
planet10 why don't you try those TB, they are best VAF
I may just, they are on sale at PE. The amount of the discount is kinda scary in light of on-going & wide ranging reports/rumours of TB QC issues. The TB W8s i've had thru here haven't had any QC issues thou, they are just pricey.

dave
Old 30th April 2011, 10:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've got 5 w5-1611 sitting around awaiting a HT build and they seem to be fairly consistent in build Q and sound........on open air listening tests at least. They are astoundingly light with the Nd magnets and composite frames. The graph is pretty too.... that is if it's accurate. I'll be shoehorning them into the alpair 7 DBR cab as scottmoose suggested to me a while back. This could be an option if you're willing to standmount. DYNABLASTER- have you heard the w5-1611 in a proper cab and/or measured them?

Last edited by steviedon; 30th April 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!