Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2011, 10:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I measure, NOT!

Yes I've tested them with my ears and listened to them as nearfeld PC Loudspeakers about a month or so, active crossover at about 300-400hz plus kickbass on the floor, and they sound very non fatiquing, but they don't miss any details, also good HF, and vocals are scary realistic, for that money I really don't know what could compete with them (except maybe the Bamboo cones, but I havent heard them yet, altough they're waiting here ready steady )

here's my suboptimal test arrangement, it's just for quick & dirty learning what personality the tested Widerangers have, because I have many and now I just try them in this way, I apologize for the pics and mess
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 30th April 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 30th April 2011, 10:37 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
for that money I really don't know what could compete with them
I bet EL70 give them a run...

dave
Old 30th April 2011, 11:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

can be possible, but Tang Bands have some magic that can't be explained with words

TBs I've listened:

rare OEM W3-823, very stunning real focusing and details, action, but needs a notch between 4-5kHz, those are bargain if you are a notch fun(I like them much more than Alpair 6 gen.1- because a lack of HF, etc.)

silver W3-871, absolute unrealistic and unbalanced, what is oposite from they hype, I don't like this speaker because it has no intimacy and TB magic, to me it sounds flat and fabricated

those 5" polypropilene cone, big cone for a 5"!, mellow and realistic, TB magic is there- but some smaller are better in this, no need for supertweeter, but you can add the rearfiring supertweeter ambience ennhancer , vocals are remarkable and drag you into the dimension of sweetness supersound 3D+ hehe

and flat w3-1797- those are unreal, my favourite, for tehno I dont know- maybe the ultimate widerangers on planet 4 electro music those immense high frequencies, they shower you with sound and the whole room is one big soundstage, not just in front of you or left right, those change the thickness of air, and throw a dimension that is unbeleivable, they are just funny how good they are

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 30th April 2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 1st May 2011, 04:58 AM   #14
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

hmmm, tang band or css? given i dont use computer software to design boxes, and ill likely be building sealed boxes, which one of these 2 drivers will perform best in a sealed box ?

and if they perform about equally, which one will get louder and remain least fatiguing?

tang band is 25 wrms, i dont see a power handling number on the css site for the el70?

25 watts seems weak to me, i recently played with this

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=843

and liked it a lot, very warm sounding with recessed mids and highs, and 60 watts ...

it has an 8" brother

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=848

efficiency is amazing, might not even need a sub?

http://www.decware.com/newsite/DM945.html

Last edited by 60ndown; 1st May 2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 1st May 2011, 05:15 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Power handling is more or less irrelevant.

I haven't seen a lot of designs for the TB, but there are lots & lots of proven cabinets for the EL70. Not many drivers designed for sealed boxrs these days.

p10 hifi | Box Library / CSS

dave
Old 1st May 2011, 01:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Power handling is more or less irrelevant.

I haven't seen a lot of designs for the TB, but there are lots & lots of proven cabinets for the EL70. Not many drivers designed for sealed boxrs these days.

p10 hifi | Box Library / CSS

dave
doesnt power handling and efficiency determine volume ability?

dont all drivers work very in a well sealed box?

sealed boxes mean no phase issues with ports/vents and rear waves right?
Old 1st May 2011, 02:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

In my limited experience, (and over-generalizing a bit), for a given driver, sealed will mean a higher cutoff (does not play as low). It also may mean higher excursion so that puts a limit on maximum SPL. It's easier to get "right" (i.e., to avoid misalignments). The smoother 12db/octave rolloff may blend better with room gain, and may sound "cleaner" because it's simpler.

For that same driver (in general), ported can play lower with less excursion. The roll-off is steeper, and the driver is at risk below the box tuning frequency (nothing damps it). And many commercial ported boxes (at Best Buy etc.) are woefully, horribly misaligned due to either poor design, or poor quality control on the drivers, or other factors.

But either design can be done correctly and sound good. The main problem I have with ported is if you tune it to maximize bass extension, it -may- sound "less clear" than sealed or horn. So the answer is simply to tune it higher and accept less quantity for higher quality. It's very room-dependent in the end.
Old 1st May 2011, 04:33 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
It would but there is no standard for measuring power handling, so nothing to compare. Also, you invariably run out of power before the driver runs out.

Quote:

Most drivers made today have T/S optimized for some sort of vented enclosure,
|In a sealed enclosure they will have less group delay & a slower roll-off, but usually insufficient bass to keep people happy.

Unfortunately the 1 driver that did quite well sealed, the MA CHR70.2, turned out more popular than anyone planned for and they sold out months ago, with the next ones probably still 6-8 weeks away.

dave
Old 1st May 2011, 04:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

CSS EL70s ordered (i trust the build house/ QC more then tang band)

will be using the walls as wave guides.

Room Walls as waveguides?

and a sub

thanks for the help/advice/guidance.....

Last edited by 60ndown; 1st May 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:11 AM   #20
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post

Hi,

a) only in the midrange, for bass volume displacement determines max volume.

b) all drivers can work in a sealed box of some sort, doesn't mean they should be.

c) The EL70 parameters indicate a smallish sealed well stuffed box.
A subwoofer will be needed to produce realistic low bass levels.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!