Ideas on Internal Wiring for Saburo - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2011, 01:33 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

People have used resistance to tailor system response for years, whether it be with highly resistive wire, inserting a resistor etc. It's most commonly seen when someone is using an inherently well-damped wideband drive unit in combination with an amplifier of low output impedance. Many releatively high efficiency wideband drive units were designed / intended / expected to be used with a high output impedance amplifier; 2.5ohms series R is roughly akin to a typical SET amplifier for e.g., so deprived of this or some alternative form of Eq, they struggle in the LF regions. Using the published FE126En data as an example again, this results in effective driver Qe increasing from the nominal 0.33 to around 0.44, and Fhm dropping from 503Hz to ~377Hz, the reduction in electrical damping thus resulting in greater LF gain.

So in point of fact, as has been pointed out above, the output impedance of an amplifier can be too high / its damping factor too low in certain circumstances resulting in a sub-optimal system response; something which may be tailored by artificially adjusting the DF of the amplifier (or the Re, Qe etc. of the drive unit if you prefer) with some series R. Until the 1960s, it was common for amplifiers to have an adjustable output impedance to help optimise the speaker - amplifier match.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 1st May 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 1st May 2011, 03:49 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

So, just out of curiosity, is this what Dave and others are suggesting I buy to wire my speakers?

Amazon.com: 100ft Cat5E Certified Light Grey bulk cable - solid core: Electronics
Old 1st May 2011, 04:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

That's the stuff. Cat5 contains 4 twisted pairs of 24ga conductors. I believe Dave & Chris are refering to extracting a single pair of these from the outer jacket & using for the wire.
Old 1st May 2011, 04:44 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
That's the stuff. Cat5 contains 4 twisted pairs of 24ga conductors. I believe Dave & Chris are refering to extracting a single pair of these from the outer jacket & using for the wire.
Yes. Very decent wire for next to nothing because we are riding on the backs of the billions of miles made for the computer world.

dave
Old 1st May 2011, 05:06 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose, you sound well-informed. Is it possible to work out from the FE126En spec the optimum amplifier output impedance? Or does it depend on the speaker design?

Also, do you think that aiming for low output impedance and then using equalisation to raise the low end would be a better design philosophy than increasing the output resistance to boost the low end via reduced damping factor?
Old 1st May 2011, 05:20 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleJohn View Post
Scottmoose, you sound well-informed. Is it possible to work out from the FE126En spec the optimum amplifier output impedance? Or does it depend on the speaker design?
One has to include the speaker & the room. It is very enlightening to hookup a variable transimpedance amplifier (output impedance dialable from close to zero to VERY high), and see what happens when you turm the knob. Each speaker tends to be happiest in a different place (each speaker around here, usually being a FR)

dave
Old 2nd May 2011, 04:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I wish I were well informed. There are people here with far more knowledge than I possess.

What Dave said -depends on the circumstances in question; there is an optimum for just about any situation, the snag being there are an infinite number of situations.
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:27 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Okay, I just bought that 100ft roll. I don't know what I'm going to do with the equivalent of 400ft of speaker cable...make a lot of speakers I guess!

On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy 350 feet of speaker cable?
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:41 PM   #29
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
Okay, I just bought that 100ft roll. I don't know what I'm going to do with the equivalent of 400ft of speaker cable...make a lot of speakers I guess!

On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy 350 feet of speaker cable?

well, you mean 3.5 x 100

also makes quite decent interconnect: stripping and untwisting the four pairs can take more time than building, and the RCA plugs, sleeving , heatshrink, etc will cost more than the cable for most often used lengths

I've run an unshielded spiral wrap I/C well over 12ft between a pre-amp and monoblock power amps that pick up less hum than the amp's self-noise.
Old 17th May 2011, 06:03 AM   #30
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
well, you mean 3.5 x 100

also makes quite decent interconnect: stripping and untwisting the four pairs can take more time than building, and the RCA plugs, sleeving , heatshrink, etc will cost more than the cable for most often used lengths

I've run an unshielded spiral wrap I/C well over 12ft between a pre-amp and monoblock power amps that pick up less hum than the amp's self-noise.
For the past few days, I've been using a new interconnect fashioned out single strand Cat5 cables. Sound is better - HF, LF and details - all are there. And the improvement was palpable - we could hear the difference from the Monster interconnects and generic stuff that I have right away.

Thanks!

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!