F2 or F4 for Alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem. I can't seem to stop building audio equipment. It seems the next phase will include Fonken enclosures and either F2 or F4. I have boards for both and was wondering if there is any speicifc experience with MA drivers. I know the Pass/Alpair sound and I love it, so why not try more. Thanks again!

FWIW, Mark's drivers will recieve little benefit from the F2's current source nature (although you could adjust that in the build); it comes into its own with lower Q units. The F4 would probably be a better bet providing your preamp has sufficient gain. I like both for different reasons, although neither is without its drawbacks.

Oddly, my favourite of all Nelson's free, single gain-stage designs is the Son of Zen (with or without the V6 modifications). It's got a certain something about it.

Interesting comment about the SOZ. I think i remeber him saying it was this amp that launched his curiosity in to current drive and the whole dampening thing. It definitely fits the simple build criteria. I have A-J's and they sound great, so this is more about learning and seeing how different things sound. What do you mean by your comment about adjusting the F2. I must admit i don't fully understand. Are you talking dampening factor? I'll do some reading. Thanks!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think scottmoose speaks of a low Qt of speakers, means heavily damped. With F1 and F2 Nelson made it possible to drive for instance Lowthers to have a deeper bass, because the current amp delivers more Watt when the impedance rises.
Disadvantage, less damping of the speaker in the bass region. Maybe you must fill in more wool.
I think scottmoose says your speakers maybe not so suited for current amps.

As far as I understand the matter.....:devily:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.