Lone Star Audio Fest 2011 -- Dallas, TX - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2011, 03:41 PM   #91
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Mķsica
diyAudio Member

Haha. Not many negatives at all, just those two fellows.

Personally, it was a great experience but my first year was so hectic that I didn't get to really sit down and visit with others, so that is high on my agenda.

I did get to say hello to Dennis from D-Sonic and chat with him a while. He was very complimentary on the bass he heard from your set up through your Grado headphones and the solid state head amp that I brought to the show.

But I only got to chat with Bruce and Rodney from Oddwatt for a few minutes and never made it to Wayne Parham's room nor to Bob Brine's either.

I'll remedy that at the next show.
Old 19th May 2011, 04:44 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

I had only a short time so I only made a few of the rooms.

Bob Brines had the MA Alpair 7 TL playing. Sounded great, looked good and holding there own against the multi-ways. I made a quick exit when a prospective sale showed up.

One of the reasons I attended was to check out an open baffle system. John Busch had that 18Ē woofer coupled with a Seas 8Ē going and I guess he had the Manzitas playing the day before. Iím going to move ahead with an OB for my next build, 2 X Eminence A15a with Fostex FE167E per the MJK design .

Uriahís a smart young man with those full range ANís. Big, crisp sound and Iím sure my eyes glazed over when he started talking about his preamps. Nice enough to not kick me out even after I gave him my quick down and dirty 2-cent course on how to put his kids through college buying real estate.

Stevenís (italynstyln) room was packed the two times I wandered by. Never could get in to say hello. Iíll catch him next year.

I did not catch the name of the gentleman who had the Econowaves playing that were based off that huge AK thread. He was not selling anything, just letting the DIY folks know what you could do with a $500 build. I got to tell you they blew me away. In hindsight, I realize I should have gone to Wayne Parhamís room as well. Ran out of time...I'd like to try a build like that as well.

YG Acoustics had great sound, super nice guys and beautiful system. About the price of a year at UNT so they were out of my league, but that's OK I hope they made some sales.

Most of the rooms were playing pretty loud but when the doors were closed you could not hear anything in hallways. I doubt anybody was disturbed and I think it is a great place to hold the event.

Thanks to all.....My first fest and Iíll be back next year. I caught a ride with a housekeeper to second floor. The card thing was a bit tricky.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:14 AM   #93
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd love to bring a system along, but my speakers won't fit in the back of my Kia! Ah well, I can show 'em off at the JanFest in October.

One word to the organizers for next year: Austin.
Old 19th May 2011, 04:11 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeddler View Post
Stevenís (italynstyln) room was packed the two times I wandered by. Never could get in to say hello. Iíll catch him next year.

I did not catch the name of the gentleman who had the Econowaves playing that were based off that huge AK thread. He was not selling anything, just letting the DIY folks know what you could do with a $500 build. I got to tell you they blew me away. In hindsight, I realize I should have gone to Wayne Parhamís room as well. Ran out of time...I'd like to try a build like that as well.
If you're in the DFW area we can get together sometime. I'm planning on organizing some more listening sessions. We've done a few lately and they've been good fun.

And the guy in the room with the Econowaves playing (I liked those a lot) was Fred T aka: Audio Fred
Old 19th May 2011, 04:33 PM   #95
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know who the Audio Precision guy was?
Old 19th May 2011, 09:34 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Default The original cello speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
What the?! Yes, this gentleman modded two cellos and put 8" Fostex in there (sounded like the 207's to me but I could be wrong).

Skeptics will hate on a playa, but believe it or not, this guy is really talented and gets interesting, musical results in unconventional ways. The sound was balanced toward the warm side which is how I generally like it. I can't argue with his methods because I have the 207 and 206 and his just sound better than mine,. at least to my ears.

He mods other gear professionally and you can check him out at: Audible Improvements
Hi rjbond3rd,

Just would like you to know that the design idea of make a cello a speaker I am afraid is mine. You can check it easily. Just click on this link: e-NyilvŠntartŠs v.1.07. (this is the official website of the Hungarian Patent Office) then type this: D0900101 as identifier then search. As you can see my protection on my cello speakers exists since 02/06/2009.

I am in a correspondence with him but he hasn't answered so far where is his idea from? The fact is: he just came up with his ones on the "T.H.E." Show in Las Vegas this January. I haven't seen anybody else with this design before me. Have you?

He made some serious modifications on the electronics and maybe his speakers sound better than mine but the design idea is definitely mine.

Anyway I am now making the 2nd generation of my cello speakers and the 3rd ones (they will be back loaded horn ones) are ready to start.
Old 19th May 2011, 10:08 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Hi speakermaker,

Wow, your cello speaker is gorgeous! No, I have never seen any other cello speakers. I hope you create a thread here for your next-gen designs. It's a really interesting approach and I'm sure many people would love to follow.
Old 19th May 2011, 10:50 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

...and the next gen has a lots of mod's and is even better look. I have just registered to respond and will make my profile here. And a thread too. Promise.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:05 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

We should allow for the possibility that the Cello Speaker idea sprung forth independently in multiple locations. Could be the fellow in Texas came up with idea on his own. I know after building Scott Mooses Coniston design I started to view the speaker cabinet like a musical instrument.

I subscribe to the idea that there is very little original thought left in the universe. This does not diminish genius or original thinking but acknowledges that we are all stimulated by humanity's achievements and failures and can arrive at similar epiphanies independently.

And thinking well of each other is virtuous even if erroneous..............
Old 1st June 2011, 12:12 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Default ideas and execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosapien View Post
We should allow for the possibility that the Cello Speaker idea sprung forth independently in multiple locations. Could be the fellow in Texas came up with idea on his own. I know after building Scott Mooses Coniston design I started to view the speaker cabinet like a musical instrument.

I subscribe to the idea that there is very little original thought left in the universe. This does not diminish genius or original thinking but acknowledges that we are all stimulated by humanity's achievements and failures and can arrive at similar epiphanies independently.

And thinking well of each other is virtuous even if erroneous..............
Thank you, Motosapien. The idea of using a musical instrument was neither mine nor Frank's and as a patents go, this one dates back prior to both of us. (See Natural resonant speaker - Kim, Young-ahn). Though this patent has limited use, Frank's argument for originality is spurious at best for a number reasons: clearly, the idea of a "loudspeaker" is un-patentable because of the necessary physical requirements of hearing, it is in the manifestation (execution) of that concept that one could protect oneself from infringement in a court of law.

However, since all loudspeaker enclosures will eventually resemble each other at one point because of these same physical requirements of moving air, the argument for "uniqueness" or "originality" in execution becomes irrelevant and therefore also ultimately un-patentable. Frank did get a patent in Hungary for the execution of his idea, which on close inspection of his photo, resembles mine by name only, not by its actual physical body.

Finally, arguments for originality in audio design is often a marketing tool rather than expression of quality. While I applaud all my colleagues for their creativity, insight and (with many) their execution of the fundamental ideas in audio design, I don't flatter myself in thinking that I have the most original or even the "best". All of us at one point or another stand on the shoulders of giants to get a better view. Forgetting this simple acknowledgment of relative success can lead to a painful fall from the same giants' shoulders that afford support.

Good luck to all in your efforts and creativity.

Hide this!Advertise here!