Wrapping up my Home theatre - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2011, 03:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well, it seems at this point, that I've resigned myself to building a third saburo. Since my end goal is to build a proper theater room once I get my own place, I would likely have ended up building a third one anyway. Having them all behind an acoustically transparent screen/wall, which I will also treat for acoustics and do it all right and proper. For the time being though, it will be on its side and angled roughly to ear level.

Now I just need to get around to ordering the driver and the wood. Anyone know places that still have the 126e? I see Dave has some unmatched 127eN, would that be close enough?

At least getting Baltic Birch is easy and cheap...
Old 27th April 2011, 04:03 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ingram View Post
Well, it seems at this point, that I've resigned myself to building a third saburo. Since my end goal is to build a proper theater room once I get my own place, I would likely have ended up building a third one anyway. Having them all behind an acoustically transparent screen/wall, which I will also treat for acoustics and do it all right and proper. For the time being though, it will be on its side and angled roughly to ear level.

Now I just need to get around to ordering the driver and the wood. Anyone know places that still have the 126e? I see Dave has some unmatched 127eN, would that be close enough?

At least getting Baltic Birch is easy and cheap...
127 would need a different (possibly much smaller) enclosure design, but even after level setting on the surround receiver would not likely exactly match the dynamics & more forward soundstage presentation of the 126

contact Dave via PM regarding single of 126
Old 27th April 2011, 04:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Perhaps the Brynn/Gabriel can be proportioned to look more like a Saburo for you by the designer?
The following would be close:

Scott's commercial redesign for FE127E BVR:

Woden Design | Venom-V

and the predecessor:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-311007.pdf

With Fostex's discontinuation of FE127E and impending release of new FF series, Scott has been concentrating on other areas.

Having built several of his enclosures over the past 5 years or so, I can attest that his designs have definitely advanced, and that the more recent plan sets are definitely worth the coin.
Old 28th April 2011, 02:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I emailed Dave, he might have some left. Pending on that, I will likely build the saburo. Otherwise I'll probably consider the Olivia or Gabriel. I could easily make cardboard mockups to see what fits best.

Considering I lived for close to a year with my current center, anything is really an improvement and I'm not -that- picky.

As an aside, any thoughts on the sonotube subs? I saw those at Home depot the other day and realized how cheap and easy it would be to make.
Old 28th April 2011, 05:39 PM   #15
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Ivan,

I want to hijack your thread again - or was it Douglas the last time when we started the PC and Mac discussion?

I have an uncle who's 70+ and is not happy with the sound coming out of his Samsung Series 5 (understandably so). His space is on 9" x 7.5" (wide), like a pocket opening into larger areas (I have attached my best attempt to draw the layout)... his complaint is that he finds dialogues muffled and special effects lacking - he really has to crank up the volume to uncomfortable levels in order to make the legible. I went to his place and largely agree with him, so it should not be a case of major hearing loss.

I posted a month back but with few responses - decided at that time on a baby Tysen but not sure if uncle will want to spend that much and fear that such a system would be quite overpowering in that space.

I see Chrisb active in this thread and read a lot of his observations on HT - and they make sense/sound practical to me i.e. like not having rear/surrounds (a pain with the cabling, and uncle has a really small space there).

What options do I have quick and dirty to find another excuse for another build?

I have used the BIBs for watching TV programs and the levels of detail it can bring out is awesome (Dexter opening theme has plenty...)- so have faith in FR for the dialogues and music.

-Zia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small_space_HT.jpg (25.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 28th April 2011, 05:52 PM   #16
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi Zia -

I'm not nearly the expert that Chris(b) or P10 are - but for such a small space - if it were me - I would be looking at the mMarS-1vo http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

Small speaker for a small space - if you need more bass for HT add a sub.
Old 28th April 2011, 06:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Zia - another Dexter fan - now that caught my attention -(the moody closing theme is just as interesting in a different way - a reminder that we all have to come to terns with our own dark passenger)

FWIW, I do intend to get around to rear surrounds, but running the wires & patching will definitely take more time than building the boxes.

I'm not sure about being expert at anything but recounting my own experiences/impressions - but I'd definitely concur with c2T's suggestion of something along the size / form-factor of the little "millie" .
Old 28th April 2011, 06:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Zia - another Dexter fan - now that caught my attention -(the moody closing theme is just as interesting in a different way - a reminder that we all have to come to terns with our own dark passenger)
Right, that one is cool too - melancholy and introspective... a friend told me it's called Dexter's Theme. To think of it, Dexter can be a good speaker builder also... he's good at planning things, patient, meticulous, and very good with tools!

Thanks for the pointer c2cthomas. However the only CHR-70s I have with me are Dave's ones, and I am not parting with those so quickly... so will look for a few alternatives in the meantime.

Is the Mar-Kel70 too powerful?

-Zia

Last edited by zman01; 28th April 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:56 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
I want to hijack your thread again - or was it Douglas the last time when we started the PC and Mac discussion?
That`s very much alright. I learned what I needed to already.

I third the smaller box + small sub approach. Also, for a space that big/small I wouldn't worry about setting up any sort of surround sound. Even on my setup, just for films, I don't find that it really adds enough to the experience to make it worth it. This is largely due to the mastering of the soundtrack, can`t make noise from the back to prominent otherwise viewers get confused. Also the reason voice is only from the center (much to my annoyance). These issues are non existent for video games where the surround really makes a huge difference. But I doubt that your 70 year old uncle will do much of that.

I would also definitely try and get another pair of CHR-70, either that or the paper variant. CHP-70 on mark's website, and EL-70 on Creative Sound. Not sure how economical it is to get either to Dhaka though...
Old 29th April 2011, 06:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ivan. EL-70 will be actually easier to get for me... will have to ask one of my friends to bring from the US when they travel.

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!