Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2011, 09:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement for vintage Bose 301's

Guys,

My dad gave me a couple of Bose 301 series 1 some time ago. They were manufactured on 1978 (the year I was born!)

link so you have an idea: Resultados de la Búsqueda de imágenes de Google de http://www.bunnimedia.com/resources/301bi5.jpg

I thoroughly cleaned them up, replaced the tweeter on one of them, replaced the old suspension rings on the woofers, sealed the insides with silicone, replaced the inner wiring with thicker wires, jumpered that awful fuse right on the tweeter's electrical path and filled the insides with lambs wool (yes actual lambs wool) as suffing material. Classy.

I have to say they sound pretty neat. I hooked them up to my xbox 360 and played some Gears of War. The directional pads work great for homing in the the high pitched sound cues from games. Also, the larger 6" woofers brought the 100Hz to 600Hz frequencies to my attention. I hadn't noticed them before! They definitely add some ambiance to the scenes and gunshots. The only bad thing is that the MDF was so old, they had an old glue smell to them (not rotten, but it smelled). I had to get rid of them because they stank up my office. I returned them to my dad who installed them on the back yard.

I'm looking for a DIY speaker that can reproduce the characteristics of these Bose but with better tech (i.e. lower distortion, small footprint). Maybe I can add the paddle or the off-axis response can be wider so as to not need the paddles.

What DIY project, drivers, cabinet, etc would you recommend?

Hide this!Advertise here!