Mar-Ken10.2 & Pensil 10.2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2011, 07:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mar-Ken10.2 & Pensil 10.2

Hello folks,

Would it be possible for someone to explain the expected differences between the two mentioned designs?

For example, what were the design goals? Perhaps it's easier if I explain what I'm after... I'm not after absolute bottom end extension, or for that matter top end. A speaker capable of producing in the 55Hz range would be quite sufficient. I'm looking for delicacy and overall balance at moderate levels. No headbanging, rock etc here, though occasionally some orchestral works. The room is only ~12.5 * 15'.

*footnote: After much head-scratching I'm leaning towards the Golden Ratio Mar-Kens. As fond of the smaller fe127s, fr125 and A7's that I am, I would like to try a larger driver though not necessarily a larger cabinet - I find the wider baffles visually appealing on the GR(im)M(ro)K.

Thank you in advance

ps: the post comes across as if I've made up my mind. I haven't!
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi grimmrok:
I'm currently doing a pair of Mar-ken cabs for some MA 10.2 eNA's.
I've not heard the driver in either cab, but that said, I love the results in it's smaller version, the Chr-Ken (chr70eNA).
I may do a pair of Pensil boxes as well, just to compare.
However, the Mar-Ken takes up less real estate which is a factor around here!
Best, Don
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:25 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Hi grimmrok:
I'm currently doing a pair of Mar-ken cabs for some MA 10.2 eNA's.
I've not heard the driver in either cab, but that said, I love the results in it's smaller version, the Chr-Ken (chr70eNA).
I may do a pair of Pensil boxes as well, just to compare.
However, the Mar-Ken takes up less real estate which is a factor around here!
Best, Don

total cubic volume perhaps - but unless on a bookshelf, by the time you count the stands, how much greater is the foot-print of a floorstander? rhetorical question - answer is - often less

and a lot of builders could have a pair of Pensils finished in much less time than any of the prime -"Kens"
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:02 PM   #4
jonedd is offline jonedd  United States
diyAudio Member

My impression, from a practical/build standpoint of a very novice woodworker, is that the *ken style designs are easier to modify to fit various size and shape requirements, but they're not so easy to build right unless you have access to some expensive tooling. The Pensil designs are really easy to build, but they can't really be modified.
About the sound...wait a few weeks...I've got 20 A10.2 drivers waiting for their new homes.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Chris is correct re: footprint size. By the time I realized I'd omitted the stands, I forgot (it's an age thing ) to correct my post!!
Mar-Kens coming--IMG_1697.jpg
Don
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have recently finished a pair of 10.2 pensils and cannot believe just how good they are. I don't just mean good for FR speakers, I mean good, period. I believe they are as good a value for the money as you can find. My reference list: Mag1.6, Quad Floorstanders, Linn Keliegh (not sure if that's right), Linn Tukan, Linn Klimax complete system at Audio Advice. I don't know how they do it, but they do.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Chris is correct re: footprint size. By the time I realized I'd omitted the stands, I forgot (it's an age thing ) to correct my post!!
Mar-Kens coming--Attachment 219900
Don
Don,

If you think you can fool me with a larger driver/cabinet combo at next Summer's shoot-out, you better think again!

Best Regards,
Terry
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Don,

If you think you can fool me with a larger driver/cabinet combo at next Summer's shoot-out, you better think again!

Best Regards,
Terry
Terry: Your line arrays did you proud-- you can officially rest on your laurels!!

( the above speakers, for those unfortunates who've not heard them, float an image unlike anything I've ever heard. Oh, they play great music too!)
Best, Don
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:11 PM   #9
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Terry: Your line arrays did you proud-- you can officially rest on your laurels!!

( the above speakers, for those unfortunates who've not heard them, float an image unlike anything I've ever heard. Oh, they play great music too!)
Best, Don
I believe that Don's trying to fool everyone, including me. He knows that I don't like to bring the same stuff to these events, but he's trying to get me off my guard, so when he shows up with those new speakers...

KA-BOOM!

Rest? No way!

Best Regards,
Terry
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bring 'em on!!
Looking forward to it!
Don

Hide this!Advertise here!