Skeeter's SuperPensil12 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Skeeter,
I applaud your courage in building with the 12's. I am way back at the experiemental phase with the el70's. I am currently building the Derwents (Woden) designs. I have head from others here about the surprising 300hz spike that needs damping. Do you have any insight about the 12's? any special requirements.
I look forward to your posts. Are you using baltic birch? are you sticking to a single driver design?

I'm not familiar with the Derwents, do you have a link? I haven't noticed any 300hz spikes in response but I haven't graphed it either. I built them, put in the recommended fill and then added additional bracing above and beyond the holey bracing as I didn't feel it was sufficient. I will be adding more bracing and am going to try putting on the self-adhesive tiles to help harden the enclosure even more. I still feel there is too much resonance. I used MDF so that may be part of the issue but I personally like a rock solid cabinet.

I am definitely sticking with the single driver design for this setup. I'm so extremely happy with the overall soundstage, presentation and character of these speakers I think adding a helper tweet would be completely unnecessary. They dig plenty deep as well. Its not hit you in the gut bass but full and rich bass that is plenty quick when called upon.

When I buy my next house I will build a theater and will get different speakers for that specific application but given that I'm in a townhouse now and share walls, the SPL's that these hit are more than adequate, especially when crossed over to my subs and they don't have to handle the really deep stuff.

Scott

I usually listen to jazz and classic rock and folk but thought I'd try some pop/top 40 last night and put on Z100, local Portland station, and rocked it out with some friends. Had the volume barely up on my Onkyo and the room was filled with great sounding (no its not good music but as good sounding as you can get for this stuff) music. Tons of bass too without even turning on the subs. Fun fun! These speakers impress more every day.

Scott

Skeeter, Nice build and build documentation. Question. I like your symmetrical center ...did you adapt the Mar-Ken12 for this design? I am wanting to do the same except with the CHR70 driver. Pete

Thanks! It took far too long but the end result is fantastic to my ears. The paint job could be a little better but from more than a foot away they look great.

On the center, what Dave said below. It was a pretty easy build with the only thing needing done after it was finished was the stuffing to get it just right to match the sonic signature of the SuperPensils.

I did the adaptation, Scott did the beta build.

dave

As Plund said, nice documentation!! Didn't want to stick with natural wood grain? (Can't remember if you built with MDF).Is the front baffle thicker? Did you miter it or is it a butt joint. Excellent job on the back. I'd love to try this one after the Derwents are done. I thought I'd go with the CSS EL70's, then I read about the EnAbled drivers. I'M confused about the choice of CHR70's over the EL70's...and I've always loved paper. As many people in the FR forums have been talking about graphed performances and values but not much about the sound of their music, it's really tough to choose a good jazz/classical driver. I read a review of the "Tybone" speaker, called by Scott the Saburo and the Madison (Sachiko). Does anyone know which drivers were used in those reviews AudiogoN Reviews: Cardersound Tybone Speaker ?

As Plund said, nice documentation!! Didn't want to stick with natural wood grain? (Can't remember if you built with MDF).Is the front baffle thicker? Did you miter it or is it a butt joint. Excellent job on the back. I'd love to try this one after the Derwents are done. I thought I'd go with the CSS EL70's, then I read about the EnAbled drivers. I'M confused about the choice of CHR70's over the EL70's...and I've always loved paper. As many people in the FR forums have been talking about graphed performances and values but not much about the sound of their music, it's really tough to choose a good jazz/classical driver. I read a review of the "Tybone" speaker, called by Scott the Saburo and the Madison (Sachiko). Does anyone know which drivers were used in those reviews AudiogoN Reviews: Cardersound Tybone Speaker ?

Thanks! I made these out of MDF and simply did butt joints for everything. There doesn't appear to be any stress at the joints so they seem to be holding up just fine.I had never heard ANY single driver speaker before building these and since MDF is so cheap and easily milled/painted I chose to do my first build out of it. Now that I know I like the sound doing more exotic cabinets is next. I do want to do wood for my next build and want to do solid zebra wood sides with a black front baffle. Think that'd look good.

I don't listen to classical music so I can't state how these do with classical but I do listen to jazz and these are exceptional with jazz. I would highly recommend these drivers and enclosure if jazz is your music of choice. I've never heard any of the other MA drivers so I can't comment on the two you're looking at. Lots of people really like both though.

Scott

Hey Skeeter, thanks for the info. I am encouraged about the 12's. Go to the Woden design LakeDistrict design series to see the Derwents (BVR). They are smaller, for the CSS EL 70's or CHR70 (Mark). Small pensils.

The zebra wood on the sides with Ebony front! Better have a really sharp router. They'd look super $$$$ and resonance would probably be low. If you made the Sachiko's with the 12's I think I'd love to drive to hear them! Probably others too.

I'm going to use baltic/Russian birch for the Derwents and then like you see how it goes for the next build. I am liking what I've read about the Fostex 126E in the Saburo and the 206E in the Sachiko's: The Spawn Family of Double Horns then read the reviews!! The owners are extatic.

Ok I found them, they weren't on Scott's site:http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/Lake-District-maps-080909.pdf. They look cool.

Yeah I think the zebra wood would look cool. Pricey but all my others speakers are finely finished so they'd fit better. I dont think you can put the MA drivers in Sachiko as here designed for a totally different driver. I do want a double mouth horn though!

I'm sure your Derwents will look cool in that wood.

Scott

Bill,

I responded to your PM but thought I would post it here as well. Definitely do use at least 3/4" if your using MDF. Panel resonances will be too high otherwise and definitely at least do the recommended holey bracing plus I'd add extra bracing up at the top as well. I used dowels cut to size and they worked well.

Scott

I know this thread is old but I wanted to just say I'm still thoroughly enjoying these speakers. They're absolutely fantastic and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm in the process of getting a new amp and preamp to work in with my current HT system as I can only have 1 system right now and am looking forward to hearing these guys with a better front end. Given how great my Gen1 drivers are I can only imagine how much better then Gen2's are :D

Thanks again Mark!

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.