a tweeter needed for FE 208E Sigma in a BIB enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
dondiba is offline dondiba  France
diyAudio Member

Default a tweeter needed for FE 208E Sigma in a BIB enclosure

Hi
i enjoyed my Fostex 208EZ into a BIB enclosure but it definitly lack a tweeter
the one recommanded by Fostex (in the FE 208 EZ data sheet) is way too expensive (about 400 bucks piece)
so what about HiVi Q1r? wich is cheap and 89dB ? or any other suggestion available in europe?
thanks for advice
dondiba
Old 18th April 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You are best off with a horn tweeter. It will need to be at least as efficient as the FE208eS

dave
Old 18th April 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You are best off with a horn tweeter. It will need to be at least as efficient as the FE208eS

dave
FT17H would be a budget alternative - certainly not as stunningly gorgeous and arguably as elegant a performer as the $400 and up each Fostex supertweeters US prices: FT17H = $38.20, FT96H = $117.70, T90A = $168.30, T900A = $419.20, and T500AMk2 = $810.40 EACH!
Old 18th April 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
dondiba is offline dondiba  France
diyAudio Member

FT17H = 98,5 dB as the FE 208ez
so, may be the way to go
thank you
dondiba
Old 18th April 2011, 10:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I second the fostex ft17h
Old 19th April 2011, 01:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I would consider the 96H, noting it may need to be tamed a touch to align with the efficiency of the 208, but may not really be noticeable either. I would think the alnico magnet would sound a bit smoother. And the build quality on the 96H appears to be more robust. Of course, this depends on what you would like to spend, and the 17H may be just fine. Seems crazy that you could spend almost $1000 for the top 5-10k of the spectrum. Wow.
Old 19th April 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1speed View Post
I would consider the 96H, noting it may need to be tamed a touch to align with the efficiency of the 208, but may not really be noticeable either. I would think the alnico magnet would sound a bit smoother. And the build quality on the 96H appears to be more robust. Of course, this depends on what you would like to spend, and the 17H may be just fine. Seems crazy that you could spend almost $1000 for the top 5-10k of the spectrum. Wow.

In the case of the T500A that'd be over $1800 taxes and shipping included. I can think of several very nice wide band drivers selling for less than the sales tax on that amount . In BC, that's12% - in some jurisdictions with the import duties and brokerage fees, etc., that would be even higher. No matter how you slice it, that's a very expensive octave or so, and one would expect something at least occasionally transcendental . Not having heard this exact combination, it's hard to say that wouldn't happen, but I'd be inclined to try the FT96 myself.
Old 19th April 2011, 06:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have this set-up here and I recommend T500AmkII, alternatively a pair of
T90A-EX. These speakers are worth it.
Old 19th April 2011, 07:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

That Fostex is one of my favorite 8" "wide band" drivers. It does need help on the top although interesting to listen to it by itself.....The top end seems to roll off naturally (no spitting or nasal-ness) so a tweeter blends amazingly well with no low pass needed. I have the original T90, which to my ears is like listening to 400 grit sandpaper being rubbed together to reproduce the highs. At least with a single .47uF cap. A friend has the T500, which kills me because of price and because it sounds so smooth and extended. I've used a couple of compression drivers, either with the back off or from the front, which work quite well. The best I've tried is the Vitavox S2, but is now hard to find I think. The B&C 250 works well, is superior to T90, but is not as good as the T500. I also, ran a conical front horn with a JBL 2410 crossed around 1200Hz and somehow it worked with a lot of dynamic snap (Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on this one and would not have tried it if it was not recommeded by one of the more knowledgeable and senior members of the horn asylum.) I'm going to call my friend now to see if he still has and is willing to part with that T500.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:27 PM   #10
adamt is offline adamt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Dondiba

I use the 208ez in a horn speaker with the Fostex T90A as my tweeter. You can cross using a 0.47uF capacitor in series, or I am currently running with a 0.68uF cap in series, and a 10ohm resistor across the tweeter terminals. This boosts the upper midrange a little whilst better matching the tweeter to the 208.

I am not fussed with running the 208 full range as there is a nasty peak somewhere in the 4khz range that emphasizes sibilance. If you run it full range with a cap in series with the tweeter i found it worsens the problem. So i have a filter of 0.33mh, 5.6 ohm,2.5uF wired in parallel then wired in series with the 208 driver to act as a notch filter. This produces a more flatter response.

I would suggest you try the filter regardless of the tweeter you use as you may be blaming the tweeter for an issue that resides with the 208. Note, the BIB would likely require a higher inductor (I have heard up to 1.2mH used), and a cap somewhere around 2.2 to 2.7uF depending on your taste. The resistor can also be varied depending on the level of 'cut' youwant.

good luck, Adam

Hide this!Advertise here!