Fountek Fe85.. small aluminium FR for less than 10 euros(!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Differences are:
- No Neodymium magnet
- Coil in regular wire instead of copper ribbon
- Max extension 1.5mm instead of 3mm
- Fs 125Hz instead of 95Hz
- Vas 0.85L instead of 1.27L

Total: Much less full range than the FR88EX with Fs too high to properly match it with a sub (although the FR88EX is already a tad high).

It doesn't mean it's a bad speaker but you can't really make a fullrange out of it. OTOH, it could be a decent candidate for a F.A.S.T.

It might work well in a 1st order 2 way.

This is exactly what I'm looking forward to working on, except with the discontinued Fostex FF85K. Unfortunately, I've already bought a few pairs of FF85K's (multi-channel), or I'd consider it. To be honest, it's bugging me a bit. When you're potentially dealing with nearly a dozen loudspeakers, $13/each new from Madisound doesn't sound half bad. While the FF85K might have some advantages over the cheaper Fountek FF85, is the price difference (as well as the required effort of trying to obtain them 2nd hand) really worth it?

Has anyone compared this Fountek FE85 to the Fostex FF85K? :confused:

Got my little desk speakers up and running. I doped the dust cap with artist gesso and this killed the HF breakup spike quite nicely. I used a 1.5 L box tuned at 90 Hz. This gives a reasonable 100 Hz Fs. I use a .45mH and 6.5 Ohm BSC. That's a much smaller coil that the EDGE calculated,(1.4mH) but measurements backed up my listening. They are powered by a little USB 12W switching amp.

So, this works out very well for desk speakers. Not for serious music listening, but hearing the news, watching lectures etc. I suppose about 4 of them and a sub would do, but if you had a box that large, might as well build a nice 6 inch two way.

So, $25 for the speakers, $25 for the BSC, one sheet of birch 5-ply, a tuft of wool, plastic pipe and can of paint. Under $100 for the first decent little desktop computer speakers I have had.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.