Newbie with Mikasa Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello from AZ! I just purchased a pair of Mikasa. Instead of Fostex drivers; they seem to have Asian woofers and seperate tweeters. The angled reflector is missing on the back of the cabinet behind the main driver. Here's my problems:

1) The imaging is pretty poor even when toed in a good bit. In comparison; I have Klipsch Quartets that are crystal clear, very open midrange and imaging champs.

2) The cabinet sings with the music. I can hear it at my listening position where mids become very harsh at times. I walked up to the speakers and listened through the upper bass ports. The resonance is pretty bad coming out the ports. It's virtually unlistenable. At my listening position; I can hear that the vocals are boxy or wooden sounding.

Could the missing diflector behind the driver cause this? I wouldn't think so. Maybe I need to add dampening to the cabinet?

I really love the bass of these speakers and they work so well in my 12'x10' listening room. I want to make them work. That spooky realism I get with the Klipsch is missing in action with these Mikasa.

HELP!!!
Thanks!
Eric

I don't know if I have insufficient priveledges or what being I am new. I have no "Advanced" option below and the posting toolbar above won't respond for me.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here you go. I'll get pics of the inside as soon as I get a special torx bit to remove the driver board.

Attachments

• Mikasa 001.JPG
    Mikasa 001.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 220
  • Mikasa 002.JPG
    Mikasa 002.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Mikasa 003.JPG
    Mikasa 003.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 182
Nothing awry that i can see from the outside. Looks like the baffle is removable, which makes playing with damping and trying more appropriate drivers much easier.

dave

Dave;
I'm completely new to horns. I purchased these from Gychang who's build was documented here. I can't seem to locate any Fostex 126 drivers. I did pull the driver out and it's an empty cavity just behind it to the back panel. (No stuffing.) There is stuffing in the little pocket just below the driver. The tweeters each have 2uf caps. The mids are harsh and wood toned. I can hear that same sound coming out of the ports when I place my ear next to them. I love the cabinets but I never heard a speaker that can't image. Sound is very diffuse as if out of phase. They are in phase though.
Thanks!
Eric

Pics of inside.

There appears to be some open gaps between the side panel and some of the panels forming the stepped driver chamber. I'd inspect as much of the enclosure as are accessible and fill any such gaps that you find with at least silicone caulking, if not moisture curing polyurethane glue. Be warned that these are messy materials to work with, but any manifold / horn enclosure such as the Mikasa should be well sealed along the sides.

There appears to be some open gaps between the side panel and some of the panels forming the stepped driver chamber. I'd inspect as much of the enclosure as are accessible and fill any such gaps that you find with at least silicone caulking, if not moisture curing polyurethane glue. Be warned that these are messy materials to work with, but any manifold / horn enclosure such as the Mikasa should be well sealed along the sides.

You have a good eye Chris. I'm good at caulking so it won't be a problem. Do you think the missing diffuser behind the driver is going to hurt anything? What would happen if I stuffed the cavity behind the driver with polyfil?
Thanks!
Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.