SEAS FA22RCZ MLTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have discoverd this interesting full range driver from seas couple of weeks ago . I would like to hear some comments on this driver. i dont read anything about the musical qualities of this driver. what kind of mark would you give this driver from 1-10. How does it sound? Can you compare it withe the philips 9710 ? or ist it better? is an extra tweeter necessary?

First off read post 14 for my comments. I have no experience with other full range drivers
only two way or three way speakers. I don't know how it compares with Fostec or other high quality full range drivers, I would refer you to any comments on the full range forum. I still prefer my various multi-ways for home theater and stereo use. But having said that for the price it would be hard to improve on the seas driver. And I will probably build a small enclosure and use them as side speakers for home theater. If I were building a full range system again I would mount them in a bass reflex enclosure with a f3 of around 50hz to 60hz and use a sub for the lower frequencies. Would even try a sealed configuration as reccomended by seas. The extra tweeter was not necessary for me, but I am older than dirt so my hearing is becoming restricted in the upper frequencies. In my opinion this driver is very good on vocal, small ensemble, jazz, and tv dialogue, it was not my favorite on full blown classical or hard rock. Also I only have solid state amp and full range may be better suited for tube electronics. As I have said before for the price it's hard to do better.

Full range drivers have this nice direct quality that you hear.The music is more coherent and meaningfull. On the other end the mids are to high and they sound harsh sometimes. or bass in lacking. The myth about fullrange drivers is stil uncoverd to me. Can they really be that good as some people say or as you may hope thay will be.
From your comments I stil canot make up if they trully sound great. You say they sound great for the money. But that had nothing to do with it. They have to sound great for 1-2 hours. They have to sound intriging...do you want to keep on listening to them or do you het tired of them.? thats the question! :)
but thanks of taking you time to answer my question. I really appreciate this! I have recently bougt a couple of 8 inch cabasse fullrange drivers from the 60's ... music just springs out of them but they sound harsh on voices.little to sharp and high. i tried a coreection network which helps butthan you have to add a tweeter to bring back to highs. its always a struggle withe these fullranges. i wonder if the Seas have something special .. or do you really have to spend 300-800 euro's for one driver to come in a different league ? does the magic then happen?

Hi Jim and gang, Getting the Klang+Ton cabs done, never will I make four at once again ! Anyway, for satisfying my bipolar obsession I need four. But am awaiting the extra two FA22RCZs, hope they come this week. So have had a listen to just a pair of them and can report good things from these 60L sealed cabinets. Imagining and soundstage are good and as Jim said good with acoustic guitar etc etc. On the downside I now notice the treble is far too strong now. SEAS point this out, but when using in OB I did not notice. This also goes some way to explain the lack of bass. It's there, but overwhelmed by the treble. SEAS recommend putting a parallel connection of an inductor and a resistor in series with the driver.

Anyone know if this can be done in J.River with a plug in or something ?!

2011-12-10122315.jpg

2011-12-10123150.jpg

Hi guys, Had let things drop with the bipolar project for a bit. Now Xmas and all that has passed I am now back on the case. Things sound good, very. Using one 8" on each side was rather bass light to say the least. But now with another firing backwards fills the bass in nicely and is very even.Though must say when using single drivers the dynamics were on the edge of your seat stuff. But in bipolar I have them wired in series which has brought them down to 4ohms. Is this the reason ?

Must get round to finishing the cabinets off now that I am satisfied !

_DSC7597u.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.