4 Driver recommendations for PC setup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4 Driver recommendations for PC setup

Looking for some ideas for drivers to use a small HTPC setup (TV, movies, and music). I would like them to able to play on their own without a subwoofer, though they may (or may not) get paired with one at some point. I would like to keep the driver cost to under $100 for the pair, less would be better. Size wise I was thinking a medium ported cabinet, say no taller than 12.

I have built a full range using the TB W4-1337 which sounded very impressive but the Ti cone was extremely fragile so Id like something a bit more robust as well as try something different. Right now Im looking at the Mark Audio CHR-70.
CHR-70 Driver | Markaudio
In the smaller ported enclosure design on their site.
CHR-70 Mini BR plan | Markaudio

Any other suggestions?
Old 13th April 2011, 06:31 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Have a look at the EL70, the paper cone sibling to the CHR70.

I personally give it a slight edge over the CHR. And you can actually buy them (CHR has been sold out for some time, and the next batch isn't likely to hit USA for at least 6 weeks)

dave
Old 14th April 2011, 12:06 PM   #3
afa is offline afa  Australia
diyAudio Member

Try using the peerless/tymphany 830986, its a 3 inch fullrange, 1.5 litre sealed or 4-5 litre vented, just used over 180 of them for an install, not bad for the price, or you could use one of the small fountek drivers or Audience A3 (bit exxy but good) Arthur
Old 15th April 2011, 04:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Have a look at the EL70, the paper cone sibling to the CHR70.

I personally give it a slight edge over the CHR. And you can actually buy them (CHR has been sold out for some time, and the next batch isn't likely to hit USA for at least 6 weeks)

dave
You know what i think of the EL70, but i'll say it again for Operandi.

They sound really really good. Really good (and deep) bass for its size. I have them in the Mar-Kel70 cabinets and they are very very good for the price paid.
Old 15th April 2011, 04:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Not to hijack the thread. I'm looking to do something much the same as Operandi. Essentially a sat/sub type arrangement that isn't rubbish.

I'd like to make a pair of small cabs for a PC setup that will get a lot of music use on top of a bit of gaming. I've had a pair of Fostex FE127e that sadly went to the big fella in the sky due to little fingers - they were lovely though!

I currently use Alpair 7's crossed at ~175Hz with helper woofers on the main system. I think they're a special little driver but real or imagined, I miss the paper cone (I'm rather fond of CSS FR125's too, though they didn't seem to handle subtle changes in timbre in vocals quite like the Fostex did).

I'm looking for suggestions on a small paper coned FR crossed at 200 - 300Hz (to be determined by driver and size) in small cabinets. I'd like to use a 6.5" driver in a small (relative) enclosure also, to augment some bass. The FR drivers I'm looking at are (FE83, FE103, EL70, CHP-70). I was thinking perhaps the SDX7 driver from CSS for the bass duties?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse my ramblings
Old 15th April 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmrok View Post
Hi guys,

Not to hijack the thread. I'm looking to do something much the same as Operandi. Essentially a sat/sub type arrangement that isn't rubbish.

I'd like to make a pair of small cabs for a PC setup that will get a lot of music use on top of a bit of gaming. I've had a pair of Fostex FE127e that sadly went to the big fella in the sky due to little fingers - they were lovely though!

I currently use Alpair 7's crossed at ~175Hz with helper woofers on the main system. I think they're a special little driver but real or imagined, I miss the paper cone (I'm rather fond of CSS FR125's too, though they didn't seem to handle subtle changes in timbre in vocals quite like the Fostex did).

I'm looking for suggestions on a small paper coned FR crossed at 200 - 300Hz (to be determined by driver and size) in small cabinets. I'd like to use a 6.5" driver in a small (relative) enclosure also, to augment some bass. The FR drivers I'm looking at are (FE83, FE103, EL70, CHP-70). I was thinking perhaps the SDX7 driver from CSS for the bass duties?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse my ramblings
Add a vote to the hearty recommendations for the paper coned EL70 or CHP70,( whichever is more easily available/affordable) for the "satellites". As for the woofer(s), SDX7 or any of a number of similar sized drivers would suffice. I've used the SDX7 before, and am currently running multiples of OEM Eastech drivers reclaimed from old Monsoon powered systems - great bang for the buck - but AFAIK never publicly available .

Last edited by chrisb; 15th April 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 15th April 2011, 06:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Trooper46
have you looked at the alpair 6p? They keep sparking my interest, but I need to finish more projects before I start a new one.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper46 View Post
have you looked at the alpair 6p? They keep sparking my interest, but I need to finish more projects before I start a new one.

As Dave would say - it's in the queue- I can't even remember if we have some on hand.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:56 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
it's in the queue- I can't even remember if we have some on hand.
8 metal (4 gone), 16 paper (4 gone) On the break-in bench

dave
Old 16th April 2011, 06:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi fella's,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm betting they're all lovely drivers, and yeah, I'd seen the Alp 6P's and was tempted, but cannot find them locally.

It's all ok though. I've dug up the old FE127e's and had a closer inspection of the dust caps. After a lot of patient sticky tape work I've managed to get one looking almost new the the other looking quite good. Several coats of thinned PVA on the duct caps only and they're aren't collapsing anymore! I guess the PVA could have changed the parameters a little but it would be minimal?

So now they have been resurrected can anyone suggest the smallest cab they might co into to cross no higher than 300Hz? Small sealed would be ideal. The mFonken is the other alternative but smaller again would be even better!

I'm still trying to figure out UniBox but 3 - 3.5L seems to be good for sealed for a xo point of about 250Hz? Bleh, I like building things, this 'design' stuff isn't something that comes simply from software I'm sure!

Thank you again for the help and support

Hide this!Advertise here!