4” Driver recommendations for PC setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some ideas for drivers to use a small HTPC setup (TV, movies, and music). I would like them to able to play on their own without a subwoofer, though they may (or may not) get paired with one at some point. I would like to keep the driver cost to under $100 for the pair, less would be better. Size wise I was thinking a medium ported cabinet, say no taller than 12”.

I have built a full range using the TB W4-1337 which sounded very impressive but the Ti cone was extremely fragile so I’d like something a bit more robust as well as try something different. Right now I’m looking at the Mark Audio CHR-70.
CHR-70 Driver | Markaudio
In the smaller ported enclosure design on their site.
CHR-70 Mini BR plan | Markaudio

Any other suggestions?

Try using the peerless/tymphany 830986, its a 3 inch fullrange, 1.5 litre sealed or 4-5 litre vented, just used over 180 of them for an install, not bad for the price, or you could use one of the small fountek drivers or Audience A3 (bit exxy but good) Arthur

Have a look at the EL70, the paper cone sibling to the CHR70.

I personally give it a slight edge over the CHR. And you can actually buy them (CHR has been sold out for some time, and the next batch isn't likely to hit USA for at least 6 weeks)

dave

You know what i think of the EL70, but i'll say it again for Operandi.

They sound really really good. Really good (and deep) bass for its size. I have them in the Mar-Kel70 cabinets and they are very very good for the price paid.

Hi guys,

Not to hijack the thread. I'm looking to do something much the same as Operandi. Essentially a sat/sub type arrangement that isn't rubbish.

I'd like to make a pair of small cabs for a PC setup that will get a lot of music use on top of a bit of gaming. I've had a pair of Fostex FE127e that sadly went to the big fella in the sky due to little fingers - they were lovely though!

I currently use Alpair 7's crossed at ~175Hz with helper woofers on the main system. I think they're a special little driver but real or imagined, I miss the paper cone (I'm rather fond of CSS FR125's too, though they didn't seem to handle subtle changes in timbre in vocals quite like the Fostex did).

I'm looking for suggestions on a small paper coned FR crossed at 200 - 300Hz (to be determined by driver and size) in small cabinets. I'd like to use a 6.5" driver in a small (relative) enclosure also, to augment some bass. The FR drivers I'm looking at are (FE83, FE103, EL70, CHP-70). I was thinking perhaps the SDX7 driver from CSS for the bass duties?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse my ramblings :)

Hi guys,

Not to hijack the thread. I'm looking to do something much the same as Operandi. Essentially a sat/sub type arrangement that isn't rubbish.

I'd like to make a pair of small cabs for a PC setup that will get a lot of music use on top of a bit of gaming. I've had a pair of Fostex FE127e that sadly went to the big fella in the sky due to little fingers - they were lovely though!

I currently use Alpair 7's crossed at ~175Hz with helper woofers on the main system. I think they're a special little driver but real or imagined, I miss the paper cone (I'm rather fond of CSS FR125's too, though they didn't seem to handle subtle changes in timbre in vocals quite like the Fostex did).

I'm looking for suggestions on a small paper coned FR crossed at 200 - 300Hz (to be determined by driver and size) in small cabinets. I'd like to use a 6.5" driver in a small (relative) enclosure also, to augment some bass. The FR drivers I'm looking at are (FE83, FE103, EL70, CHP-70). I was thinking perhaps the SDX7 driver from CSS for the bass duties?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse my ramblings :)

Add a vote to the hearty recommendations for the paper coned EL70 or CHP70,( whichever is more easily available/affordable) for the "satellites". As for the woofer(s), SDX7 or any of a number of similar sized drivers would suffice. I've used the SDX7 before, and am currently running multiples of OEM Eastech drivers reclaimed from old Monsoon powered systems - great bang for the buck - but AFAIK never publicly available .

Last edited:
Hi fella's,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm betting they're all lovely drivers, and yeah, I'd seen the Alp 6P's and was tempted, but cannot find them locally.

It's all ok though. I've dug up the old FE127e's and had a closer inspection of the dust caps. After a lot of patient sticky tape work I've managed to get one looking almost new the the other looking quite good. Several coats of thinned PVA on the duct caps only and they're aren't collapsing anymore! I guess the PVA could have changed the parameters a little but it would be minimal?

So now they have been resurrected can anyone suggest the smallest cab they might co into to cross no higher than 300Hz? Small sealed would be ideal. The mFonken is the other alternative but smaller again would be even better!

I'm still trying to figure out UniBox but 3 - 3.5L seems to be good for sealed for a xo point of about 250Hz? Bleh, I like building things, this 'design' stuff isn't something that comes simply from software I'm sure!

Thank you again for the help and support :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So now they have been resurrected can anyone suggest the smallest cab they might co into to cross no higher than 300Hz? Small sealed would be ideal. The mFonken is the other alternative but smaller again would be even better!

I'm still trying to figure out UniBox but 3 - 3.5L seems to be good for sealed for a xo point of about 250Hz? Bleh, I like building things, this 'design' stuff isn't something that comes simply from software I'm sure!

see attached

dave

Attachments

• FE127-standard-sealed.gif
    FE127-standard-sealed.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 412
Have a look at the EL70, the paper cone sibling to the CHR70.

I personally give it a slight edge over the CHR. And you can actually buy them (CHR has been sold out for some time, and the next batch isn't likely to hit USA for at least 6 weeks)

dave

The EL70 would be an option, I really liked the looks of the CHR however; I feel kinda ashamed to say it but looks are a factor.

I noticed that you can buy the drivers directly from Mark Audio and it dosn't say anything about them being out of stock. I guess these would probably be shipping directly from Tiawan/China?

As to the smaller driver recommendations, I kinda wanted to try something bigger like the W4-1337. If I were to do a smaller driver I was looking at the Fountek FR89EX.

The idea behind these speakers was to serve as interim units until I build some smaller two ways over the summer. First they would be going to my Dad till his are built then myself till I build mine. Of course if like them more I'll just continue to use them (or keep both on the desk).

I e-mailed Mark Audio about availability of the CHR but haven't heard from them yet. I guess if I can't get them the door is open really open but I'd like to get something soon as I don't want to buy cheap PC speakers just to have some sound.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mark's website is quite out of date... lost his web guy over a year ago, the new one is not up to speed.

CHR & EL70 are 6 of one, half-dozen of the other, both are good, so of looks sway you, go for it.

I bet the only place you'll find CHR is in Australia & Germany.

Oh, and be careful. Once living with CHR you'll have to work on the 2 -way to have a chance to make it as seamless.

dave

Thank you for the information Dave.

I'm in a conundrum however. I placed the FE127's in their original cabs and some test cabs. Both too large for their intended destination but for the sake of hearing the drivers in the room (tiled!) it was well worth the effort. Both cabs sounded terrible.

Without any floor coverings aside from a couple of mats, and the nature of the driver to be a bit peaky without your spiffy enabling, the experience was quite depressing. I tried them in some 12.5L BR cabs and a pair of Brynn cabs. Please note that the drivers sound lovely in the living room in the same cabinets.

I'm now thinking that a pair of CSS FR125's could be the go due to their somewhat laid back mid and upper ranges. I will first try the Alp7's but feel they too will be a bit shouty in such a cold room.

As a side note. I'm quite taken with wide baffle, shallow cabinets. Have you or Scott designed any cabinets similar to the Mileva for larger drivers such as Alpair 10(.2) or 12's? I'd like to replace the Alpair 7 / 8" Vifa combo in the living room for a single driver solution. The 127 in the Brynn's is very nice, but the room is a little large so a design with a little more bottom end and a little more headroom would be fantastic!

Again, thank you for the assistance :)

Well I think I might go with the EL70.

I would like to use a taller narrow cabinet design (mini tower), depth isn't too much of a concern but kept within reason to fit a on desk, maybe something in realm of 10hx6wx7d. Has anyone built anything like that before with Mark Audio drivers? What kind of volume and port length is ideal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.