4 Driver recommendations for PC setup - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2011, 09:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
My bad. There are currently 2 threads going on pretty much the same subject, and i got you mixed up with the Spanish guy.

For EL70 the vent spacer shrinks to 20mm, and the length of the total length of the vent goes to 164mm. Holey brace needs to be adjusted for the EL70s double magnet as well.

I can also turn on the imperial units if you prefer to work in inches (drawing is rationalized for metric thou)

A note i didn't add is that for a dngle pair of speakers it is probably not practical (unless you have a lot of scraps) to do the baffle in 15mm if the rest of the box is 12mm. i'd build up the baffle with something like cork to get the 15mm (given the thickness of the EL70 bezel a 12 mm baffle with full rebate is likely not practical.

dave
Ok, no problem.

So the spacer for the vent goes from 48mm down to 20mm, the vent itself shrinks from 180mm to 164mm in length, and the brace needs to be modified but otherwise the cabinet is the same?

I'm used to English measurements but shouldn't be any problems working with metric. I can work off this drawing or did you plan on drawing one up for the EL70?

I can probably do 12mm Baltic Birch ply like you specified in the drawing and use 15mm, 18mm or 3/4 hardwood for the baffle?
Old 12th May 2011, 10:05 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operandi View Post
So the spacer for the vent goes from 48mm down to 20mm, the vent itself shrinks from 180mm to 164mm in length, and the brace needs to be modified but otherwise the cabinet is the same?
Yes.

Quote:
I'm used to English measurements but shouldn't be any problems working with metric. I can work off this drawing or did you plan on drawing one up for the EL70?
I will be doing it for the EL70 (again)

Quote:
I can probably do 12mm Baltic Birch ply like you specified in the drawing and use 15mm, 18mm or 3/4 hardwood for the baffle?
Yes. A butcherblock works better than a solid piece, but being so small it is unlikely an issue. The dimension given for the vent is the entire length to allow easy adjustment for baffle thickness.

dave
Old 12th May 2011, 10:21 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here is EL70 version.

Drawing for CHP version has been replaced with some fixes & addition of imperial measures

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif Op-Slot-EL-110511.gif (42.9 KB, 313 views)
Old 12th May 2011, 11:27 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Again that looks awesome, thanks!

I'll get the EL70s on the way and start sourcing the other materials.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:50 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I have the EL70s on the way. Next step is find some Baltic Birch ply locally.

Also planet10 do you mind if I share that drawing on other forums? I cross posted my thread on the PE forums so some of them might find that cabinet interesting.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:14 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operandi View Post
Also planet10 do you mind if I share that drawing on other forums?
It is OK to share that one.

dave
Old 19th May 2011, 01:30 PM   #37
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post

Try using the peerless/tymphany 830986, its a 3 inch fullrange, 1.5 litre sealed or 4-5 litre vented
I used a set of them in a ~.63L sealed enclosure, high-passed @ ~100Hz with a subwoofer, and was very pleased how well the Peerless worked out. Surprising playing level, very nice tonality. It was a quick & dirty PC system with anything but quick & dirty results.

Hide this!Advertise here!