Qts in OpenBaffle - How low can you go? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 08:10 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
If deep tight bass is what you need then a SET is unlikely to satisfy.

I have a friend who has almost nothing in his music collection with serious fast bass - because his amp speaker comb can't handle it.
I like a bit of dance music - and find output impedence critical for good listening.

Shoog
Isn't it interesting how a person's equipment (most people only have one decent system if that) can so influence what they listen to even to the extent of shaping one's genre choices. Shouldn't be surprising I suppose but it can lead to seriously limiting one's music experiences. I tend to have a very eclectic taste and to me there is only one genre: good music. I have only recently realized this phenomenon myself and why I'm so interested in trying new systems and component combinations. Unfortunately, there is simply no perfect system at any price and it is not at all unreasonable to have multiple setups for differing music styles. With my primitive temporary setup, I have already discovered that some tracks sound better on my $12 FR's (not too many though...)

What I intend to do with the SET is only use it on extended range driver from about 150 Hz up and drive the woofers with a SS amp. I've also got a Tripath to put together to see what that's all about. I'm a tinkerer. Too bad it's so expensive of a way to be...

Last edited by sprinter; 10th April 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10th April 2011, 09:39 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Interesting. I've kind of suspected that but it's always good to hear about some A/B testing done right. My intent is to biamp with a SET on the FR and a SS on the woofer. But here again, it's always subject to change. I've never heard SET so I intend to build a SimpleSE to try it out. I also just received an Arjen Helder Tripath kit which I need to put together. I've got SS. So many options, so little time.

BTW, I know that tubes inherently have high output Z, but don't the OT's take care of that assuming they have adequate capacity?
Having tried adding an output transformer to a SS guitar amp, I'd say that the output transformer probably doesn't lower the output impedance. Someone with more knowledge than I could chime in at this point to give a definite answer, but I've read about speaker impedance interacting with output transformers (Morgan Jones' project using a FE167 has an article somewhere on here), and I'd guess that all those windings would struggle to reduce the output impedance.

Chris
Old 28th July 2011, 12:40 PM   #43
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for this thread guys, I've got a couple of low qts drivers that are bound for a second set of t-tqwt subs, but in the meantime, I was planning on trying out an open baffle design to see how it sounds.

I guess the good part about an open baffle is you really aren't wasting much wood if what you end up with is junk
Old 28th July 2011, 06:39 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Here's something that may be of use.

Variable Amplifier Impedance
Effects Of Source Impedance on Loudspeakers
Arpeggio Loudspeaker

Variable output impedance was quite popular once of a day, as this would give much more flexibility in speaker choice.
Nowadays, commercial loudspeakers tend to be designed to be driven by a voltage source, so impedance varies wildly through the pass-band (3rd link).

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!