audio nirvana 15" experience ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using a pair of the AN 15" cast frame's in some ultra cheap and nasty ported boxes for some time now and they sound way better than they have any right to.

They've been driven by everything from a KT88 simple SE to chip amps and sound great with everything - especially the 60's rock my old man likes to pump through them. There is certainly plenty of punch and volume!

Yea, I'm thinking of putting on a similar phy baffle (3 piece with hinge, 67" tall, 16" center panel, 22.4" left panel, 24.4" right panel, driver 36" off floor)

see last 1 minute of 8 min video (don't forget 480p)
YouTube - PHY-HP famous speakerunits made by Bernard Salabert of France.

here is phy open baffle dimensions (sand between walls)
http://www.phy-hp.com/English/Images/Communication/Baffle_plan_nb.jpg

It would be an odd shootout between TB w8-1808 (with or without 80hz f-mod sub) and the an15. I think at 4 times the cone area, the lack of excursion/distortion, the an15 may be the winner at the same price. Or use the 8" for "anal" listening and use the 15 when bumping and watching movies !!!

Norman

Here is a quick shot of the current box they're sitting in - I bought them when there was a sale on and they just happened to drop straight into these shockingly bad boxes my old man bought. They are the only driver connected and have improved the sound out of sight in every respect despite the iffy placement in his workshop...

You'll have to post the results with the open baffle once you have it all sorted.

AN 15".jpg

yea, my TB 1808 (with sub 80hz f-mod) will be in the 60" tall, 15" wide left panel, 12" wide center panel, 19" right panel. That should have an Feq of 178hz (nice to my ears). My ears tell me that in my room and at my listening distance, an 8" 2 way is minimum for my volume requirements, so I'm trying the 1808. My buddy got the birch ply.

I have to then decide if I want the an15. That may take a month. But it looks good. The alnico freq looks a bit worse but the site claims it sounds better (and it ******* better at 2.5 times the cost).

I'm usually 3 projects ahead of what gets built.

Tell me of the 15's.
What do they do well (besides 60's rock) ?
What do they do badly at ?
Do they need some juice to sound good ?

Can you compare them to other full range stuff ?
I'd image that is difficult due to the size and dispersion diffferences............
Lets me guess, less detail but way more fun.

I only need to cover couch wide seating area about 11' away.

seems a fellow named tuckers has played with some here.
another fellow at audiokarma and here named MIKEINEUGENE has some.

Norman

Last edited:
very nice on OB

I have a pair of AN15 cast frame (not alnico) on very simple OB panels. The front panel is 24x36 and each panel has hinged wings that measure 12x36. The wings were crucial for this driver, at least in my room. Without the wings the sound was a bit thin.

At this point, these are among the top drivers I have used as far as sound stage/placement/imaging. They are also quite detailed, and play very well with everything from my .75 watt SE6sn7 amplifier to a push pull el-84. Bass is adequate for me, but probably not for home theater.

I have tried a LOT of drivers on OB, (fostex, visaton, lowther, coral, electrovoice, hawthorne, norelco, pioneer, etc) and these are among the top choice for me at this point.

Hope that helps someone.

I have a pair of AN15 cast frame (not alnico) on very simple OB panels. The front panel is 24x36 and each panel has hinged wings that measure 12x36. The wings were crucial for this driver, at least in my room. Without the wings the sound was a bit thin.

At this point, these are among the top drivers I have used as far as sound stage/placement/imaging. They are also quite detailed, and play very well with everything from my .75 watt SE6sn7 amplifier to a push pull el-84. Bass is adequate for me, but probably not for home theater.

I have tried a LOT of drivers on OB, (fostex, visaton, lowther, coral, electrovoice, hawthorne, norelco, pioneer, etc) and these are among the top choice for me at this point.

Hope that helps someone.
Thanks for post this report. Until now I was thinking the Super15CF not work well in OB due to their low QTS = 0.483
So Super15Alnico with QTS = 0.954 a that big cone should be a excellent FR for OB.
The Super15CF is a great value at only 400 Obamas/pair.

I've been using a pair of the AN 15" cast frame's in some ultra cheap and nasty ported boxes for some time now and they sound way better than they have any right to.

They've been driven by everything from a KT88 simple SE to chip amps and sound great with everything - especially the 60's rock my old man likes to pump through them. There is certainly plenty of punch and volume!

I have been looking at the 15" coax but wondered if anyone has used them atleast 5.6cuft cabinets or bigger?

I noticed that you could buy two pairs of the cast 12" for the price of the 15" coax.

AN 15 Neo's

Just bought a pair of 15" neo's. Out of 4 different 15" fr David Dicks offers I think the neo is the best.

The cast was the best one until the neo came out.

Not bashing the cast at all.

But the neo has a lower qts of of .34. Which is good for a t/l

Thats what I got mine in and they are monsters. But I love them and for being such a big fr you dont need a subwoofer.

Im a bass head and I dont have a sub anymore bc of these AN'S.

Im so happy there are big fr's out there (bigger then 8" FR'S).

but an ob isnt a bad Ideal. I think the coxial 15" would be the best for the buy because they should be in a ob and they go up to 20k. which the neo and cast and alinico dosen't.

I never done any ob, but it would be nice considering my tl is 6'T X 26"W X 28" deep.

One last thing, if you look at the weight of the cone on a 8" AN VS. 15" AN. You'll find that cone weighs 4 to 5 times more then weight of the 8" fr.

Diiinnnngggg... kinda fun to watch him hit those frames. Those cones look to have a paper surround. I'd love to make drivers all day long and sell them to make a living... and to live there. Too bad he passed. Never heard his drivers but whenever i listen to my $2.45 piezo from PE i wonder if i'm hearing pretty much the same thing as the tweeter he sells.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto9/phy_tweeter.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought a pair of 15" neo's. Out of 4 different 15" fr David Dicks offers I think the neo is the best.

The cast was the best one until the neo came out.

Not bashing the cast at all.

But the neo has a lower qts of of .34. Which is good for a t/l

Thats what I got mine in and they are monsters. But I love them and for being such a big fr you dont need a subwoofer.

Im a bass head and I dont have a sub anymore bc of these AN'S.

Im so happy there are big fr's out there (bigger then 8" FR'S).

but an ob isnt a bad Ideal. I think the coxial 15" would be the best for the buy because they should be in a ob and they go up to 20k. which the neo and cast and alinico dosen't.

I never done any ob, but it would be nice considering my tl is 6'T X 26"W X 28" deep.

One last thing, if you look at the weight of the cone on a 8" AN VS. 15" AN. You'll find that cone weighs 4 to 5 times more then weight of the 8" fr.
Bart do these 15's put out some serious SPL?

I dont think I will be torturing these or anything but do like to play it safe when building a speaker for myself. These seem like a great way to save money atleast for me. The are easy to build, only one speaker, and dont need much of anything else.

I am used to using multiple drivers for different frequencies or atleast a two way. So the whole full range driver with only 1mm xmax is a bit frightening to me. From others that have the twelve I think I will be more than happy with the 15" coax. Shipping is a killer though and the pair of Coax's will cost me $750 total.

So for now I will just have to get more opinions from others on their AN's. I think I will buy some in the future but will have to save up for the coax's for a few more months.

I will be building David's 5.6 cabinet for these full rangers. These will mainly be used with music and movies. Not sure how low these will go or what sort of low pass I need to put on these also. But movies have quite a bit of low content so should the low pass on a 15" FR be around 30hz or other?

Audio Nirvana's NEO Full Range drivers might double in price

Talked to David Dicks from Commonsenseaudio.com today, and from what I hear china is upping the price on damn near all neo drivers made in china. For example 15" neo's go for $700 a pair and once he's out of those the next order might jump double in price for the same speaker. $700 a pair is do able but $1,400 a pair is just outragous to a blue collar guy like me.

Anyway just wanted to share what I found out.

So do yourself a favor and buy a pair an's neo series drivers they are about as detailed as they can get.

I got a pair of the 15" neo's in a tl and OMG!!

But, for now try to beat china before they beat your wallet.

Thanks

Bart Oetken

Funny that china keeps raising the price and yet I can buy cloned drivers from china for still very cheap.

But ya when looking at component prices for each of my builds I decided on the cheap one.(AN 15" Coax) When compared to other designs I had in mind they were about 300 cheaper. But if you raise the price to double then suddenly the other designs I had in mind are cheaper. But this might not affect me because I was only looking at the Coax and not the neos.

Either way I have to wait still and save up the coin still so I can get my AN HT. I was going to go with AN 15" Coax L/R, Super 8 center and regular 8's for surrounds for my budget friendly HT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.