audio nirvana 15" experience ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2011, 11:51 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydan01 View Post
I've been using a pair of the AN 15" cast frame's in some ultra cheap and nasty ported boxes for some time now and they sound way better than they have any right to.

They've been driven by everything from a KT88 simple SE to chip amps and sound great with everything - especially the 60's rock my old man likes to pump through them. There is certainly plenty of punch and volume!
I have been looking at the 15" coax but wondered if anyone has used them atleast 5.6cuft cabinets or bigger?

I noticed that you could buy two pairs of the cast 12" for the price of the 15" coax.
Old 19th September 2011, 05:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default AN 15 Neo's

Just bought a pair of 15" neo's. Out of 4 different 15" fr David Dicks offers I think the neo is the best.

The cast was the best one until the neo came out.

Not bashing the cast at all.

But the neo has a lower qts of of .34. Which is good for a t/l

Thats what I got mine in and they are monsters. But I love them and for being such a big fr you dont need a subwoofer.

Im a bass head and I dont have a sub anymore bc of these AN'S.

Im so happy there are big fr's out there (bigger then 8" FR'S).

but an ob isnt a bad Ideal. I think the coxial 15" would be the best for the buy because they should be in a ob and they go up to 20k. which the neo and cast and alinico dosen't.

I never done any ob, but it would be nice considering my tl is 6'T X 26"W X 28" deep.

One last thing, if you look at the weight of the cone on a 8" AN VS. 15" AN. You'll find that cone weighs 4 to 5 times more then weight of the 8" fr.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post

see last 1 minute of 8 min video (don't forget 480p)
YouTube - PHY-HP famous speakerunits made by Bernard Salabert of France.
ha ha what a fraud at 5:20 - 5:32 megalol
Old 19th September 2011, 02:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Diiinnnngggg... kinda fun to watch him hit those frames. Those cones look to have a paper surround. I'd love to make drivers all day long and sell them to make a living... and to live there. Too bad he passed. Never heard his drivers but whenever i listen to my $2.45 piezo from PE i wonder if i'm hearing pretty much the same thing as the tweeter he sells.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/y...hy_tweeter.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla; 19th September 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Oetken View Post
Just bought a pair of 15" neo's. Out of 4 different 15" fr David Dicks offers I think the neo is the best.

The cast was the best one until the neo came out.

Not bashing the cast at all.

But the neo has a lower qts of of .34. Which is good for a t/l

Thats what I got mine in and they are monsters. But I love them and for being such a big fr you dont need a subwoofer.

Im a bass head and I dont have a sub anymore bc of these AN'S.

Im so happy there are big fr's out there (bigger then 8" FR'S).

but an ob isnt a bad Ideal. I think the coxial 15" would be the best for the buy because they should be in a ob and they go up to 20k. which the neo and cast and alinico dosen't.

I never done any ob, but it would be nice considering my tl is 6'T X 26"W X 28" deep.

One last thing, if you look at the weight of the cone on a 8" AN VS. 15" AN. You'll find that cone weighs 4 to 5 times more then weight of the 8" fr.
Bart do these 15's put out some serious SPL?

I dont think I will be torturing these or anything but do like to play it safe when building a speaker for myself. These seem like a great way to save money atleast for me. The are easy to build, only one speaker, and dont need much of anything else.

I am used to using multiple drivers for different frequencies or atleast a two way. So the whole full range driver with only 1mm xmax is a bit frightening to me. From others that have the twelve I think I will be more than happy with the 15" coax. Shipping is a killer though and the pair of Coax's will cost me $750 total.

So for now I will just have to get more opinions from others on their AN's. I think I will buy some in the future but will have to save up for the coax's for a few more months.
Old 20th September 2011, 01:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I will be building David's 5.6 cabinet for these full rangers. These will mainly be used with music and movies. Not sure how low these will go or what sort of low pass I need to put on these also. But movies have quite a bit of low content so should the low pass on a 15" FR be around 30hz or other?
Old 24th September 2011, 11:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Nirvana's NEO Full Range drivers might double in price

Talked to David Dicks from Commonsenseaudio.com today, and from what I hear china is upping the price on damn near all neo drivers made in china. For example 15" neo's go for $700 a pair and once he's out of those the next order might jump double in price for the same speaker. $700 a pair is do able but $1,400 a pair is just outragous to a blue collar guy like me.

Anyway just wanted to share what I found out.

So do yourself a favor and buy a pair an's neo series drivers they are about as detailed as they can get.

I got a pair of the 15" neo's in a tl and OMG!!

But, for now try to beat china before they beat your wallet.

Thanks

Bart Oetken
Old 25th September 2011, 01:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Funny that china keeps raising the price and yet I can buy cloned drivers from china for still very cheap.

But ya when looking at component prices for each of my builds I decided on the cheap one.(AN 15" Coax) When compared to other designs I had in mind they were about 300 cheaper. But if you raise the price to double then suddenly the other designs I had in mind are cheaper. But this might not affect me because I was only looking at the Coax and not the neos.

Either way I have to wait still and save up the coin still so I can get my AN HT. I was going to go with AN 15" Coax L/R, Super 8 center and regular 8's for surrounds for my budget friendly HT.

Hide this!Advertise here!