Beautiful 8 Inch South Korean Fullrange Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The oddball "phase plug" looks like an oddball dustcap, to me.

Hello Badman.

Like I told 18Hurts, I believe the odd looking phase plug is probably just their wooden version of the metal phase plug that Zu Audio & Decware Audio are now both using in their full range drivers. You can see Zu's Metal "phase plug" here on their Omen speakers.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

The first plot shows 4k 10db hotter than 2k and 5k, thats not a major peak? And a 20 db rise from 125hz to 200hz, the whole region from 50hz to 300hz is a roller coaster.

You are new at this, aren't you. Manufacturers normally measure their drivers on a standard flat baffle. They ALWAYS rolloff below 200-300Hz. nothing below 500Hz needs to be considered unless it is highly unusual. In this region, the cabinet will dominate the final FR.

Bob

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The first plot shows 4k 10db hotter than 2k and 5k, thats not a major peak? And a 20 db rise from 125hz to 200hz, the whole region from 50hz to 300hz is a roller coaster.

Bob is on the mark here. Have a look at other similar full range drivers from Fostex, AN, Lowther, TB. Their response graphs are woeful, and you'll be lucky if you see an unsmoothed response from the manufacterer. The 4k peak is not ragged and may not be a resonance. Besides it's more like a 5-6db peak than 10 db.

All this is beside the point, really. If the cone material doesn't have a good sound, a flat response can also sound quite lifeless.

Bob is on the mark here. Have a look at other similar full range drivers from Fostex, AN, Lowther, TB. Their response graphs are woeful, and you'll be lucky if you see an unsmoothed response from the manufacterer.

I commend this maker's honesty for publishing what looks to be LMS generated RAW frequency data. I've also started to publish RAW data. For us driver makers publishing RAW data, we do so at some commercial risk. There's allot of DIYers (and too many professional builders) who mis-interpret driver RAW data, badly in some cases. While I encourage other makers to publish RAW, I can understand their reluctance to take what they consider is too big a commercial risk.

For those DIYers comparing data between makers, please look closely at the information. Smoothed data will also look nice but won't tell the whole story about the driver. Don't automatically penalise those makers who publish RAW when comparing data.

My thanks to Bob Brines and other experienced members for helping the learning process for those with less knowledge.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
I am interested.

I First saw is speaker manufacturer on ebay . Somebody was selling the 6 1/2" drivers for $1200 and considering they where like these pretty much stock magnets but worst still stock efficiency levels. It seemed unreasonable. To look at the cones tho. It can be seen these are purely hand crafted cones unlike 99% of speaker cones. Even phy cones are pretty standard paper cones unlike the rest of them though which is quiet the opposite to these.

But I have a good feeling about these. Generally cone negative break up travel out from the inside in circular motion. And these are plyed inside to out. That would have to have a positive effect on minimizing negative effects.

Rullit Atelier Is a speaker customizer and now manufacturer. A lot of people don't respect this guy because for 1 most of his stuff is unfordable to working class people and secondly I think he maybe comes of as a little arrogant. lf his picture kicking around is anything to go on.

But If you study most his ideas and listen to the drivers he likes to modify. Like I do. It does make me wonder if he really is at the leading edge of ultimate Fidelity. He is also part of a group of audiophiles. It's not all his own work and judgment . He has acess to top facility's and a budget to go with it. His latest cone technology is based on pie type construction similar to the sonodyne. I like that most about the sondonyne. Well there isn't anything else to like about the driver I guess. The rest is pretty average. I think the big surround. The surround is where everything can wrong in a speaker cone I think. It has to damp a lot of resonances.

These would be be time consuming to make. Like paper mashee I guess. Probably be a good diy project. I cant imagine the paper is any supa paper. Maybe just good high quality light strong paper. You can look at them and see how inconsistent the papers lays are. I think this is a good thing.

Rullit Atelier's Cellulose cones are like this. The pie cuts are different widths. I think I have even seen cones of his Nealy identical in construction to the sonodyne. I might add I sent a mail to him when I was out bid on a pair of his speakers. And he was generous in nature and lacked no humility in his reply which suggested he sells cheaper models of his speakers for people on tighter budgets. He uses 2 and 3 point wood and Bakelite spiders for his suspensions also which I think would be awesome if they sound like the pair of vintage grundig drivers I have with suspensions like this. Which I believe is where Rullit Atelier might have learnt about them after modifying grundig drivers.

Rullit - Audio Voice Acoustics

These look interesting, kinda creepy (what's this in the middle -a phase plug?) but nice :) The paper /surround is interesting, the frame looks ok. TubeGuy, please let us know how they sound if you get a pair :trapper:

p.s. it is strange to call them overpriced. Is a Maserati overpriced, just because there are cheaper 4-wheel vehicles out there?

These look interesting, kinda creepy (what's this in the middle -a phase plug?) but nice :) The paper /surround is interesting, the frame looks ok. TubeGuy, please let us know how they sound if you get a pair :trapper:

p.s. it is strange to call them overpriced. Is a Maserati overpriced, just because there are cheaper 4-wheel vehicles out there?

Hello Crossblade.

I'll most certainly let everyone following this thread how they sound "if" I manage to get a pair. I say "if" because I've written to Sonodyne directly and i'm still waiting to hear back from them! Once I hear from them I'll inform all here of what's transpiring...

I First saw is speaker manufacturer on ebay . Somebody was selling the 6 1/2" drivers for $1200 and considering they where like these pretty much stock magnets but worst still stock efficiency levels. It seemed unreasonable...

Hi fatbattery.

I believe the guy on eBay selling those drivers is buying them from Sonodyne and then trying to make some cash reselling them. If you purchased those same drivers directly from Sonodyne yourself they'd cost you $1010 USD.

In the email I wrote to Sonodyne I asked if they were looking for a US importer or distributor. So now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.

The "phase plug" looks like a dust cap to me. And it looks like paper.
Interesting drivers, thanks for posting.

Hi Pano.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the "phase plug" is more than a dust cap and serves a purpose like the metal one on the Zu's Omen speaker does as seen here. Decware also used a very similarly shaped metal phase plug way before Zu Audio did. You can read about it in Steve's description of how he modified the Fostex FE206EM and then called it the DFR-8. When reading the paper look for Steve's explanation about the active phase guide and why the phase guide that was installed in place of the dust cap. It's interesting reading. From what I understand more than a few DIYers have also done this to their full range drivers and liked the improved sonic results.

Oh yeah, I happen think Sonodyne's phase plugs are made of wood, but that's just my best guess from looking at them...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.