Beautiful 8 Inch South Korean Fullrange Drivers - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 11:59 PM   #101
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Not with the new Canadian $100 bills though, all polymer now..

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes...eries/polymer/

Last edited by DaveCan; 25th March 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 25th March 2013, 07:30 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
I really think this is Full-Rangers gone wild.....In the pursuit of THE most exotic materials(Read expensive) for cone materials....it has gone quite mad here. I shall illustrate ..... The material used in this example is some obscure material, revered in Asian cultures no doubt.......requiring hours/days/months years to acquire and process. SO....we have a material that is extremely light, strong in the extreme....the perfect material to form into a cone for the exotic loudspeaker industry. OK....so if all these characteristics make for the "perfect cone" why pray tell.... how does it function as the "perfect" surround....which 'requires' a flexibility like no other?...........Two aspects of a material with opposite requirements. Just folding such a material into pleats does not alter its characteristics so radically. My guess is it looks "cool"........as to function.......I think it would have not "looked the part" if it had a 'known' surround.

__________________________________________________ ___Rick.........
Rick while I'm sure there is some truth to what you say. I believe overall you are mistaken in your POV. To explain why I'm saying this let's start by taking a look at the uber-expensive prices of some highly regarded & highly sought after ---{at least by those who can afford them}--- drivers that many audiophiles, even full-range driver aficionados like myself, really do refer to as "Full-Rangers gone wild" the Feastrex line of single full-range drivers! Much of the Feastrex "sound" is attributed to their usage of Washi paper in their cones! I'm curious, did you know that making Washi paper is considered by the Japanese to be an artisan handcraft? Did you know there are many different varieties of Washi paper?

The type of Washi paper selected by Feastrex to be used in their main cones ---{this type of Washi paper is known as hosho-shi. It's pronounced phonetically as “hoe-show-she”}-- is very strong and made from the inner bark of type of Mulberry tree in Japan. Now since we're discussing Sonodyne's material of choice and Sonodyne is in Korea, I suppose I should stick to talking about Korean Hanji paper, not Japanese Washi paper, right? Well Rick in case you didn't already know this. I'll inform you Korean papermaking started soon after its birth occured in China. As would probably be expected, at first this Korean paper was crudely made. The Koreans made this early paper (called maji) out of hemp and ramie scraps.

But I digress, I was talking about Hanji paper. Well the origins of Hanji paper in Korea is believed to fall somewhere between the late 500s BC and the 200s BC ---{Hani was eventually developed to the point that it was renowned as being the highest quality paper available in all of East Asia}--- and in 1931, a piece of hanji paper was found at an archeological dig at a tomb site from the Lelang period (108 BC–313 AD). Now this is where this tale really start's getting good. Hanji, like the Japanese Washi, is also made from the inner bark of a type of Mulberry tree! But this is a Mulberry tree that's native to Korea and grows well on its rocky mountain sides! So from that POV these Sonodyne SD-855 eight inch fullrange drivers ---{as well as Sonodyne's other Hanji full-range drivers}--- could be viewed as being the poor man's version of the Feastrex! Granted the Sonodynes do NOT have the awesome motor structure of the Feastrex. And there's no doubt that those field-coils play an important part in the sound of the Feastrex drivers, but at 800,000 Korean Won or it's $716.91 conversion into USD, these Sonodynes cost less than virtually every Feastrex and actually cost a lot less than many Lowthers, Voxativ and even a couple of Fostex fullrange drivers do!

So Rick in this light I'd say that compared to many other full-range/wide-range drivers these Sonodynes aren't very expensive nor are they candidates for Full-range drivers gone wild...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Last edited by thetubeguy1954; 25th March 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:24 PM   #103
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Mekr,
Chui has not been on these forums since November.
Old 25th March 2013, 09:09 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

This thread is 2 years old and quickly reading through, I cannot find anyone that has actually heard these things let alone purchased them?
Old 25th March 2013, 09:22 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Radio you're quite correct. No one what's to be the first to take the financial plunge. If things turn around for me financially I'd do it, but with my health issues don't hold your breath waiting for it to be me that's first!

Old 25th March 2013, 11:31 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Tom, I would suggest that you keep your hands in your pockets!
Lets face it, drivers have changed very little over the last 80+ years, just a frame, magnet, coil and cone.
What is this guy offering, I only see images of the fancy cone and none of the magnet assemblies. Perhaps he is just buying inexpensive Chinese drives and tearing out the cones?
Just selling on ebay does seem to be a little hobbyish, like making bird boxes.
Terry
Old 26th March 2013, 01:26 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Terry I wouldn't buy the Sonodynes from anyone but their factory in Korea or a rep of that factory.

Old 26th March 2013, 02:39 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

How many speaker manufacturers or box makers have come and gone over the years it must be many, many hundreds? How many speakers have stood the test of time and are still highly regarded, perhaps a couple of dozen, if that?
It's all about marketing and the more you charge for your product the more you can spend on marketing.
Most speakers are pretty much the same, only the price differs, thats my thinking.
Terry
Old 26th March 2013, 03:09 PM   #109
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
Most speakers are pretty much the same, only the price differs
?
Old 26th March 2013, 03:12 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
Tom, I would suggest that you keep your hands in your pockets!
Lets face it, drivers have changed very little over the last 80+ years, just a frame, magnet, coil and cone.
What is this guy offering, I only see images of the fancy cone and none of the magnet assemblies. Perhaps he is just buying inexpensive Chinese drives and tearing out the cones?
Just selling on ebay does seem to be a little hobbyish, like making bird boxes.
Terry
He might have legal problems selling any other way since there is an older indian speaker company which is also called Sonodyne. They are well-established and sell in over 40 countries hence it may well be illegal for korean Sonodyne to officially sell anything speaker related under that name internationally.
The original Sonodyne predates the korean one by 30 years.

Hide this!Advertise here!