Beautiful 8 Inch South Korean Fullrange Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Out of genuine interest Tom, since I recall you mentioning Mike's driver modifications before, how does he assess the changes, and vary the application from unit to unit to achieve an optimum? Since he's doping the cones, even if 90% of what is presumably painted on evaporates, there will be some mass added, which will more or less subtly depending on the specific driver change the overall electromechanical properties, reducing damping and efficiency. It will also, I imagine, change the stiffness and micro-resonance / emitance behaviour of the cone substrate, which will of course alter the frequency response, exactly how presumably depending on the quantity of the treatment added and exactly where on the cone surface it is applied? Sorry for the questions, but I'm increasingly interested in driver design, so am always curious about such things and their effects.

Scott Mike could answer these questions much better than I could. He tells me that most ---{perhaps 90% of his ingredients evaporates from the cone}--- and he believes in many ways it's doing what Bud's EnABL process does, but it then goes even further. IIRC Mike said one of the other things his process does is it also "closes" the many micro holes that exist in the materials many a driver's cone is made from and as such makes it act more like a piston. While it may also do many of the things you stated above, I honestly don't know either way. What I do know is since Mike perfected his process, I haven't heard one cone treated that I didn't greatly prefer after the treatment was applied. Plus no one has asked to send the treated drivers back and have them replaced either!

Since Mike treated a pair of Dayton PS220-8 drivers for me and we installed them in your incredible Sachiko horns! I have never heard a more realistic replication of live, unamplified instruments and singers in my life! Horns and drums sound so life-like I get goose bumps. The other day while listening to a recording an acoustic guitar came in. I was utterly amazed with how real that guitar sounded. So much so I ran and pulled out my acoustic guitar! Then I started the song over, sat down and played along with other acoustic guitar. To be completely honest for the brief time that I played along, I felt like I was 20 again and practicing with the one of the guys in a 3 man acoustic band I belonged to, because it honestly sounded like there was someone playing an acoustic guitar right across from me.

Having your Sachiko horns built for me and having Mike's treatment applied to my cones are two of the best audio decisions I have made in these past 5 years since I bought your Sachikos. If I'm to be completely honest it's one of the best decisions I've made in my audio history period. I'll be 60 in a few months and I've been involved in audio since I was 13! That's almost 47 years of making mistakes, but 5 years ago I learned about SET amps, single full-range drivers and BLHs. That turned my audio life around and all for the better. What purchasing your Sachikos did for me concerning speakers, Mike's treatment has done for me concerning drivers. I owe you both a huge debt. I'd also like to make it perfectly clear that no one part of my system is responsible for the sound I'm describing.

Yes Mike's treatment is amazing in what it does, but I wouldn't know that if it wasn't for your amazing Sachiko double-back-loaded horn design, Scott. Nor would I realize what either of those two devices did if it wasn't for Lorenzo's amazing Mastersound Reference 845, 40W/ch SET I use. That said, without Maurizio's GoldeNote Stibbert transport & Kingwa's Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC as a source I wouldn't realize what all the previous components were capable of. Finally without Serguei's Stealth M-21 Super powercords, Alan Braun's silver ICs, Mike Rispoli's speaker wires & Oleg Rullit's "Late Gothic" digital wires I'd have no idea what my electronics were capable of!

In other words many men are responsible for the products I own and it's the system's synergy that makes it all truly special and I understand that is the real truth of the matter...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Sorry Tom, I cannot stop thinking about this old song. Auntie Maggie's Remedy - George Formby - YouTube

That's a-ok with me. I'm not attempting to sell anything to anyone. I talk about products that have changed my audio life. Like Scott's Sachiko horns, Mike's cone treatment, SET amps and Single Full-range drivers. If something I post interests someone else, wonderful, if it doesn't interest anyone else, that's ok too.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.