Allied Knight KN-615HC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2011, 03:31 AM   #1
dwhitf is offline dwhitf  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dwhitf
Default Allied Knight KN-615HC

I have scored some mint Allied Knight KN-615HC 15" 16 ohm 50 watts 3-way speakers. I am told these are the same as Electro-Voice 15TRX.
I have tried to find T-S parameters for these speakers but none could be found. I did find a old file from Electro-Voice Bass Refex Enclosures,
It states 8 cu.in. or more and recommended 11 to 21 cu. ft. box Large?
Anyone have T-S parameters or experience with these speakers
That can give me some guidance?
Thanks!
Darrell
Old 8th April 2011, 10:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitf View Post
I have scored some mint Allied Knight KN-615HC 15" 16 ohm 50 watts 3-way speakers. I am told these are the same as Electro-Voice 15TRX.
I have tried to find T-S parameters for these speakers but none could be found. I did find a old file from Electro-Voice Bass Refex Enclosures,
It states 8 cu.in. or more and recommended 11 to 21 cu. ft. box Large?
Anyone have T-S parameters or experience with these speakers
That can give me some guidance?
Thanks!
Darrell
Yes they are pretty much the same as the Electrovoice versions. Slight differences from what I can tel but generally the same. I currently use a pair of them in a set of floor loaded boxes that are 48" high by 16" wide by 8.5" deep. Inside the box I have a pyramid of foam that goes up 36" and acts as a absorbing baffle to ruduce ringing. They are pretty nice if set up right but rebuilding them is pretty difficult. The tweeter is the problem as no one makes the paper washers anymore. There was a guy in Arkansas I believe who did the tweeters real nice but I am not sure if he is still around. The issue is this: The woofer portion can be found pretty easily and those kits come with the whizzer cone I believe but you can easily save the original whizzer if you are careful on disassembly. Thse kits have centering shims and all to get it right the first time. The t35/t350 tweeter diagphrams are still around but as I said above the washers are not. So you must be VERY careful with the washers at disassembly or you will be stucking making replacements which is so unlikely that its not worth discussing. You need to set the diagphram just right or it rubs and you are then taking it apart. There was a jig for this at electrovoice and I am sure one could be made by anybody who wants to take the time (READ LOTS) to get that jig right. Use them as long as you can and then when the tweeter blows pull it and replace it with one which is newer t77 or newer t350 and move on.
Old 9th April 2011, 02:03 AM   #3
dwhitf is offline dwhitf  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dwhitf
Default KN-615HC vs Altec 604

desperateaudio Thanks for your response!
How do the compare to Altec 604...(i have 3 pair)
thanks
Old 9th April 2011, 02:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitf View Post
desperateaudio Thanks for your response!
How do the compare to Altec 604...(i have 3 pair)
thanks
do not know as i never had the altecs
Old 11th April 2011, 04:01 AM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

These EV cab dimensions implies the specs are close enough to the SP15's, so......

Re = 5.5
Fs = 40
Vas = 280.7 L
Qes = .49
Qms = 5
Qts = .45
Sd = 806 cm^2
Pe = 50 watts
Xmax = 5.1 mm
Le = .3 mH
BL = 12.14
1w SPL = 97.5 dB/m

Looks like ~200 L/7 ft^3 net tuned to Fs seems about as small as practical for vented, so 8 ft^3 gross seems about right and if you're going to drive it with a high output impedance [tube], then the larger factory design is desirable for best overall bass response.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OneTouchMar0920102-1.jpg (76.7 KB, 116 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!