Book shelf speakers for SE tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I know that porting will effect position of the speaker,

However what method do you think is most efficient to transfer bass to the listener?

Not using a sub!

It's interesting you mention mass loading some time ago I had some Tannoy speakers, these could have sand put in the bottom to mass load. So thinking this would be better I filled the bottom with sand. All the bass seemed to disappear! So the sand came out!

Will Mark Audio ship Alpair7 to the UK?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you sand fill a speaker, it is done in a unused cabity of the lougspeaker. This aids stability by lowering the centre of mass. If you put sand into the speaker volume, you will decrease bass because you are reducing the cabinet volume (and if ported screw up the tuning.

In UK, you get A7 from Blue Planet (they recently cleaned Mark out (ie he has none) or if they have any left Alium Audio) Matched & modified from that planet10 guy (as in the picture attached earlier).

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If you sand fill a speaker, it is done in a unused cabity of the lougspeaker. This aids stability by lowering the centre of mass. If you put sand into the speaker volume, you will decrease bass because you are reducing the cabinet volume (and if ported screw up the tuning.

In UK, you get A7 from Blue Planet (they recently cleaned Mark out (ie he has none) or if they have any left Alium Audio) Matched & modified from that planet10 guy (as in the picture attached earlier).

dave

This was in a cavity in the base designed for loading "closed partition". Perhaps it was just tighter, however it seemed less.

Thank's for the links!

Regards
M. Gregg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alpair 7's in gold.
Should be interesting!

It is called gold, but it is really copper....

A6.1 in gold

alpair6-gold-gold.jpg

A7 in gold/copper

A7eN-copper-comp.jpg

All the colours have their appeal :D

And it matters little with your eyes closed and your foot a-tappin'

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just for info!

I received the Alpair 7's today.
I decided to use 18mm Birch ply for the box, 15mm is quoted.
The volume of the box remains the same as quoted in the plans!

I have cut the ply to size and used wood strip to cover the ends.
Let you know how it goes!

Any thoughts on speaker cable used inside the box.

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
We tend to use strands of 24g solid core out of cat5 cable. Cryo treated with the Teflon jacket

dave

Dave,

Thank's for your help.

Do you strip the insulation and then use the strands as a single flexible cable? Cover with either PTFE or Teflon.

I guess liquid nitrogen drop the cat5 strands in as a flex let it boil off. Then fit the jacket. How many strands or is it a trade secret?

I surprised you don't use PTFE silver coated copper flex? I guess you have tried other things? I am curious how you came to this conclusion!

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Dave,

Its a shame that the Alpair 7 does not come with the paint job you do.
LOL feels like there is something missing when you look at them.

I will try the cat5 I think the silver plated cable may be to bright. I will just go and get some Liquid Nitrogen from the tank in the garage "Not" ..LOL

I will strengthen the joints with silicone adhesive " Fish tank glue" should be interesting might help stop some resonance.

Just going to try cutting the mounting hole for the Alpair7..Not the easiest thing with the large step.

Any thoughts on connectors for the Alpair and "binding posts"?

Just trying to get the sound as intended with your design!

Regards
M. Gregg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you strip the insulation and then use the strands as a single flexible cable? Cover with either PTFE or Teflon.

We strip the outer insulation and then separate the pairs. Typically we then just use one of those pairs inside (same colour in each box). For speaker cables, you can take it further, separating the 2 wires in the twisted pair and then either running the 2 strands roughly in parallel on a flat substrate (i used packing tape), or spiral it around something circular (Chris used plastic aquarium pipe, i have some (unused) cotton rope, foamed teflon would be really good).

dave-flat-cable-Cat5.jpg

I guess liquid nitrogen drop the cat5 strands in as a flex let it boil off. Then fit the jacket. How many strands or is it a trade secret?

You never drop stuff into LN, you pour the LN onto the object. I haven't done it myself. The 1st batch was done by one of the most experienced guys, the 2nd batch by an engineer/member at BC Hydro so that we could give away chunks at VI diyFEST. I don't know how much it helps, but it can't hurt.

I surprised you don't use PTFE silver coated copper flex? I guess you have tried other things? I am curious how you came to this conclusion!

Speaker wire choice is a can of worms. What is "best" is very sysyem dependent, and out amoung the candidates there is huge amount of snakeoil out amoung the solid products,

So being frugal-philes(s), and believers in thin & solid core, we stick our heads in the sand, and just use the CAT5 strands, consistent, pure, decent sounding, & dirt cheap.

All our designs are intended to be made (have to be made) so that the speaker wire can be attached to the posts outside of the box (ie posts on a removable cup/plate), so that speaker wire can be changed.

Binding posts. We have found that all too often the blingier posts don't work as well as the cheap ones, We use a cheap, small round cup with cheesy looking plastic posts (but not metal). Small circular installation hole (50mm/ less panel weakening, but a little awkward to fingers tighten), minimal metal. We can swap out the posts to upgrade. (Eichmans are a tight fit)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Its a shame that the Alpair 7 does not come with the paint job you do.
LOL feels like there is something missing when you look at them.

There are available... and the brave (with experience) can diy the spots.

I've been living with spotted drivers so long any without seem naked. But most important to me, about the A7eN, is the increase in DDR that expresses itself foremost as a 3D image that is quite abit deeper than the stock ones.

A7eN-copper-comp.jpg

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Dave,

What can I say!
Thank you so much for the help.

From what I am told I think that the freeze and warm up with the Liquid Nitrogen has the effect of de-stressing the cable. A bit like how copper work hardens -but in reverse. This seems to effect the sound making it "Less harsh".

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.