I just destroyed a pair of FE166En's - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2011, 02:25 AM   #31
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the picture Scott. Brave of you and I appreciate that. May I ask what order the various materials went down in? You haven't got the pattern sequences quite right and while they honestly would do a good enough job on normal speakers, the 126's are far from that. Even with a meticulously correct spacing on all of the pattern blocks, for all of the rows, that speaker is always trying to get loose and attack.

If you applied the modge podge first and haven't put much gloss coat on over the patterns, we can probably recover the drivers. It looks as though you did not have the proper size of pen tips for the inner ring patterns and unless you used a clear flat for the mid cone rings, the strong resonance peaks on the 126 are not addressed with what I see. Again, for most drivers you could get away with not applying these, and in the early applications pattern sheets for the 126/ 127 those mid cone patterns were not included.

If you want to, you can send the drivers to me and I can do what is possible in a remedial sense. I should be able to get them to a listenable level, even if all I do is to apply the correct patterns in needed places with stealth paint, over what you have already done. This is an entirely workable solution by the way. I may be able to do more, but I haven't enough information about exactly what and in which order, you performed the operations.

I would prefer to do the work and have you go back over the tutorials, look through the pictures on the Picassa site and get hold of some cheap speakers to use in getting your hand skill set up to the level needed for a driver as touchy as this one is. I am quite certain you are capable of doing the needed level of diligence, but you may have just bitten off more than you realized in this instance. I do applaud you courage in doing do, however.

I have attached a text file covering most of the important EnABL threads for learning purposes, and invite you to look closely at what the Picassa pictures show. EnABL has made some big strides, based upon George Soon's work and the stout position taken by dlr and John K in particular, and your drivers should be salvageable with the application of those advanced understandings.

Bud
Attached Files
File Type: txt EnABL posts for treatment text file.txt (5.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 4th April 2011, 09:19 AM   #32
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>>
I don't modify expensive drivers. I guess we all have to make a decision as to what is expensive to us since we all have different budgets. The Fostex 166 is something i'd choose to leave 'as is' or perhaps try the removable 98 cent tweak. I feel bad about what happened.
Another "removable mod" is the basket treatment. Shouldn't have any harm on the drivers anyway. Tried with 3M foam tape, may not be a big improvement, but won't harm anyway. I am not so sure about playing dough though, seems a bit too messy to me. Some tried to stiffen the basket but I guess that may also make the resonance of the basket more prominent.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:00 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Bud
Thanks for the feedback,
this is the order I used
2 coats of Mod podge
enable process
3 very thin coats of micro gloss.
they don't sound bad at all,
just to in your face.
and I can't seem to get for instance
a vocalist to come right to the center of the room
and float like normal with full range driver's
no matter what speaker placement,which seems a little strange to me,I am using them in Frugel horn 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
Thanks for the picture Scott. Brave of you and I appreciate that. May I ask what order the various materials went down in? You haven't got the pattern sequences quite right and while they honestly would do a good enough job on normal speakers, the 126's are far from that. Even with a meticulously correct spacing on all of the pattern blocks, for all of the rows, that speaker is always trying to get loose and attack.

If you applied the modge podge first and haven't put much gloss coat on over the patterns, we can probably recover the drivers. It looks as though you did not have the proper size of pen tips for the inner ring patterns and unless you used a clear flat for the mid cone rings, the strong resonance peaks on the 126 are not addressed with what I see. Again, for most drivers you could get away with not applying these, and in the early applications pattern sheets for the 126/ 127 those mid cone patterns were not included.

If you want to, you can send the drivers to me and I can do what is possible in a remedial sense. I should be able to get them to a listenable level, even if all I do is to apply the correct patterns in needed places with stealth paint, over what you have already done. This is an entirely workable solution by the way. I may be able to do more, but I haven't enough information about exactly what and in which order, you performed the operations.

I would prefer to do the work and have you go back over the tutorials, look through the pictures on the Picassa site and get hold of some cheap speakers to use in getting your hand skill set up to the level needed for a driver as touchy as this one is. I am quite certain you are capable of doing the needed level of diligence, but you may have just bitten off more than you realized in this instance. I do applaud you courage in doing do, however.

I have attached a text file covering most of the important EnABL threads for learning purposes, and invite you to look closely at what the Picassa pictures show. EnABL has made some big strides, based upon George Soon's work and the stout position taken by dlr and John K in particular, and your drivers should be salvageable with the application of those advanced understandings.

Bud
Old 4th April 2011, 04:33 PM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Scott - I think the "in your face" aspects of dynamics and image presentation you're noticing is an attribute of the FE126E/n that some would consider its major advantage over other widebanders of approx same size, such as the F120A / FX120, and certainly the late FE127E.

I'm not one of them - as impressive as the 126 can be initially, I found the earlier version more than a bit fatiguing over longer exposures.

Hide this!Advertise here!