I just destroyed a pair of FE166En's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following conventional wisdom, I Mod-Podge'd and phase plugged a pair of Fostex FE166En's. Here are the FR plots:

The white trace is the unmodified FE166En.
The red trace is after doping with Mod Podge.
The blue trace is with P10 phase plugs installed.

The first chart is on axis.
The second chart is 15* off axis.
The third chard is 30* off axis.

The doping sucked the life out of these drivers. They now sound dull and uninteresting.They sound a lot like BOFU's, but without the guts. Yes, any hint of sibilance is gone, but at what price. These modified drivers absolutely required a tweeter.

I doped the whizzer as well as the main cone. My reward is a huge spike just over 10kHz. I am hoping that I can remove most of this by kneading the whizzer to soften it up.

There is a lesson in here somewhere.

For your amusement, the last three charts are off axis comparisons, Stock, Mod Podge, and Mod Podge'd and phase plugged. The traces are

White 0*
Red 15*
Blue 30*
Green 45*
Yellow 60*

Bob

Attachments

• 0_Degree.gif
    0_Degree.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 928
  • 15_Degree.gif
    15_Degree.gif
    66.4 KB · Views: 890
  • 30_Degree.gif
    30_Degree.gif
    68.4 KB · Views: 856
  • Virgin.gif
    Virgin.gif
    75.2 KB · Views: 841
  • Mod-Podge.gif
    Mod-Podge.gif
    80.6 KB · Views: 833
  • MP-Phase_Plug.gif
    MP-Phase_Plug.gif
    79.2 KB · Views: 195
I don't get it. Looks like they actually go higher, and the peak @ 10k is nicely
diminished off axis. I know, charts don't tell it all, and if you don't like it, then
you don't like it.

you could also throw some more stuff on them (dammar) as you have nothing to lose.

In my opinion nothing good can be gained by most cone treatments on good drivers. The various treatment processes are just too unpredictable to merit do it in my opinion. If cone treatment were needed, then the original manufacturer would have done it. Cone treatments should be reserved for cheap, throwaway drivers. If you wish to have a better driver, buy one and enjoy it as the manufacturer intended.

What were your expectations? And what didn't you like about the sound of the Fostex?

Don't feel too bad. You may have well destroyed the Fostex, but is worth it. Not only to satisfy your curiousity, but gained knowledge of what this particular mod does. There is no substitute for personally acquired empirical knowledge, especially in matters of taste. "Conventional wisdom" or assumed knowledge is worthless in this regard.

After destroying a pair of Lowther DX55, I've come to the conclusion to just let the driver be itself. There was a temptation in thinking that a different mod or more or less of the same mod would be better, but that is the path to economic ruin and frustration......And even if I had unlimited resources and hundreds of pairs of the same driver, why not just look for a better/different driver that suited my sense of good sound(?).

The only exception is a pair of "enabled" Fostex F200a which unmodded is stinky-compressed/undynamic in mids and treble. However, that mod was done by Bud, himself after he had enabled a previous pair or two, and hundreds of other drivers for years prior.

The Fostex guys have been making drivers for quite a while, so they know what they are doing. Like it or not it is what it is. I would not try to "improve" any well engineered product, unless 100% reversible and proven exactly on this particular product.

Well my plan is to order some enabled drivers from someone who knows what they're doing (Dave) and some stock drivers and decide for myself. Enabling is a labor intensive process and would add significantly to the cost of any driver and might be a hard sell in a competitive market. Don't know if you consider chr70s "cheap throwaway drivers" but in my opinion it's the end result, not the cost, that determines the worth. Of course cost does play a significant role for a lot of us.

Bob,

Need to know more details about your application. It is well known that too heavy a hand can screw up the HF.

dave

I put two coats of Mod Podge, diluted 1:1 with water. Cone and whzzer got the same treatment. Note that problems don't occur until 5K. Also note that the notch is much deeper with the phase plugs. I did a test with the phase plug removed, i.e. without the dustcap. The trace was very similar to the one with the phase plug in place. I know from previous experience that the real effect of a phase plug is to put a notch in the frequency response that corresponds to the sibilance spike of female speakers who swallow the mic. Makes the singers sound smoother. I'm going to check my other speakers with phase plugs. The effect may be primarily due to removing the dust cap.

Bob

Last edited:
>>> Makes the singers sound smoother. I'm going to check my other speakers with phase plugs. The effect may be primarily due to removing the dust cap.

I just modded a Beta 12lta with great results! Removing the dustcap improved the driver and adding the phase plug smoothed the sound nicely... most notably with female vocals. Sorry about your drivers Bob... that stinks! Thanks for posting your charts.

Zilla

7k being the cone break up mode for the now defunct 127e. I tried the damar / trifoil treatment on a pair of those cones but it didn't really fix the problem. It made a slight improvement but I think I 'lost' a little magic in proportion. Based on my experience with the 127e I'm not so convinced that Fostex always knows what they are doing with their designs. However, I would balance my experience against that of many happy customers of the 127e.

To Bob Brines,

Working on the new fostex as well.
Adjusted my previous blh design for the FE166En.
Did a group build with four people.
Compared the "old"166 to the "new.
New : after break-in 200+ hours the still had some "metal" sound in them.
So we started some reversible tweaks.
long story short:

everybody likes the "open cell tweak" , open cell recht.JPG

open cell schuin.JPG in combination with the FT17H.
See pics.

Hi Bob
I think I have done my last Enable and mod podge treatment.
I just did a pair of 126en and don't like the results,
just way to bright sounding you hear all the details
but just to much, I guess I lean toward a warmer sound,
enable is just way to in your face sounding to me.

It's always frustrating when a mod doesn't work in the actual listening. I have done a few Enabl jobs over the past three years and followed much of Ed's (Ed Fontaine) discussion.

As Bob said, and if you allow for some variance in application technique, I've found the result to take the "life" out of speaks as well. The same cannot be said for phase plugs. Phase plugs can make a silk purse out of a Pioneer 4 in. NSB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.