Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2011, 03:00 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hey trog, you've got a 1" full-range driver and a 2W amp; just hook it up without the filter.
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:52 PM   #12
maduras is offline maduras  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey borispm

This line was supported with 16 4" drivers and crossed at anywhere between 1000 and 3000Hz using DCX xover.Never sounded good,lots of coloration.
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Just to clarify my somewhat curt response,
It's a small FR driver and 2W amplifier. YMMV but to me there seems little point in adding a crossover to the speaker. I think you'd be better served putting the filter or a tone control before the amplifier.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:51 AM   #14
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Hi Maduras,

That sounds pretty bad then... I have a pair of Altec Lansing FX6021 and they have those kind of 1" "full range drivers" yet they sound okay. I know they can't be the same driver, they are closer to TangBand's version, but it's still usable.
Old 4th April 2011, 11:17 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try some different values with a test setup and without to see how they sound.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't you like to extend the low end and see how it handles it? I always thought about making full range speakers with this driver for some friends that often listen to music with the built-in laptop speakers. I once calculated a ported box for this driver (with mh-audio vented box calculator) and it gives a F3 of 130Hz. Of course I hadn't kept distortion in mind, but you could make the experience.

Also, what would be much better, I thought about putting them in sealed boxes, with F3 of 190Hz like recommended at the driver specs, and making a "subwoofer" (actually a central mono woofer) with something like the Aurasound NS3-193, which is small and has great Xmax, good for achieving great bass. It could work great with the Elliot's Electronically Assisted Subwoofer circuit ( Sub-Woofer Controller - you'll learn its principles and how to build it on this link), resulting in a small enclosure with flat and deep bass response, matching with your B1S speakers for real full range! What do you think?

I'm a newbie too, so I have lots of ideas but no practice neither much knowledge. Can anyone with knowledge give any opinion?

Hide this!Advertise here!