diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Alpair 12 on sale (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/186141-alpair-12-sale.html)

malibujeff 31st March 2011 03:49 AM

Alpair 12 on sale
 
The Markaudio Alpair-12's are on sale at Madisound for $119.

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8863

ra7 31st March 2011 04:13 AM

hmmm... i wonder why!

norman bates 31st March 2011 07:26 AM

I paid $180 just b4 they were availiable at madisound

motosapien 31st March 2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ra7 (Post 2522499)
hmmm... i wonder why!

They probably just need to recover some of their resources sitting in inventory. The US economy is hardly healthy and business is down. By all accounts they are fine drivers.

GM 31st March 2011 03:50 PM

I'm curious, with a +10 dB published boost to the sibilance BW referenced to our peak hearing BW, do other folks with any Tinnitus find such a response much too 'tinny' [for lack of a better description] to be enjoyable?

GM

chrisb 31st March 2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM (Post 2522965)
I'm curious, with a +10 dB published boost to the sibilance BW referenced to our peak hearing BW, do other folks with any Tinnitus find such a response much too 'tinny' [for lack of a better description] to be enjoyable?

GM



I've recently been swapping various models of Alpairs in my HT system that gets a couple of hours use nightly, and currently have A12s for mains and A7 for center - and don't find them problematic for this application - but then it's not used much for music alone.

ra7 31st March 2011 05:03 PM

I found that peak near 10k to be unlistenable. It is supposed to be for on-axis v off-axis listening, but even off-axis it was very much audible.

planet10 31st March 2011 06:09 PM

I notice no problems with A12eN. But i only suffer from tinnitus-like symptoms when coffee consumption is in excess.

dave

GM 31st March 2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb (Post 2523004)
I've recently been swapping various models of Alpairs in my HT system that gets a couple of hours use nightly, and currently have A12s for mains and A7 for center - and don't find them problematic for this application - but then it's not used much for music alone.

Not surprising if cinema mixed movie LCR content with its rolled off HF above 2 kHz is still being transferred to DVD intact which would be ~flattened out by the A12's rising response. Makes me wonder if it's predominately for HT apps.

GM

chrisb 31st March 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM (Post 2523115)
Not surprising if cinema mixed movie LCR content with its rolled off HF above 2 kHz is still being transferred to DVD intact which would be ~flattened out by the A12's rising response. Makes me wonder if it's predominately for HT apps.

GM


Well actually, most of the viewing is cable "HD" and Netflix streaming (often even lower video resolution) and I'm not sure (or frankly much concerned) about whatever EQ may be involved in the audio portion. Can that vary depending on service provider? On both the TV and music only systems, I've been much happier since abandoning extreme "philia" and simply try to relax and enjoy the program content.

But you certainly could be right - the previous Fostex speakers (FE167) sounded fine with a basic stereo amp (Rotel RB850 now used for woofers), but were more than a bit fatiguing on the Denon surround receiver.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2