Alpair 12 on sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm running a set of 12's as monitors, currently closed box, with a sub-woofer for bass support. They have about 160 hours and sound good in that system. To my ear they could use a little more on top. However, I'm comparing them to Jordan JX92s (full range) which they replaced. I'm also running JX92's/GS2i's as monitors with Emmence 15 OB's in my main system. So my ears are biased toward the Jordan's. What I noticed most about the 12's was more impact then I get with the smaller Jordan drivers.

I'm tempted to pick up a set at the sale price.

-
Rick

I'm going to be picking up a set of the Gold 12's at the sale price and build the SuperPensil12 cabinets. Easy build, they look fantastic and from most reports, they are truly excellent speakers. This will be my first FR build (well first build period) so I'm really looking forward to hearing how they do in reference to my Strata Mini's which are a 4-way with an active 8" powered woofer. I don't expect them to have even close to the same bass response but if the imaging is at least on par and the bass is present I'll be more than happy. At the sale price, it really seems like a great deal :) Talked to Brian today at Madisound and he seemed to think very highly of them as well.

Scott

Scott,

My Super Pensil build is nearly complete - got all the pieces cut and the braces made (most tedious part). Hope I can put this together over the next 2 days.

I started breaking in the drivers from yesterday - that will take a long time though (200+ hours).

Get hold of your drivers and start the break in process. :)

-Zia

p.s. I haven't heard them in full glory since currently breaking in at low volumes with soft music only, but the drivers do look very nice. :)

Scott,

My Super Pensil build is nearly complete - got all the pieces cut and the braces made (most tedious part). Hope I can put this together over the next 2 days.

I started breaking in the drivers from yesterday - that will take a long time though (200+ hours).

-Zia

p.s. I haven't heard them in full glory since currently breaking in at low volumes with soft music only, but the drivers do look very nice. :)

Zia,
would you have any pictures of the build? I need some inspiration to start my Super Pensils.

Tam

Scott,

-Zia

Sweet! Sounds like the SuperPensils are taking off! I agree, pre-break in sounds like its pretty necessary and plan on starting the break in as soon as I get the drivers. I'm just finishing up refinishing a gorgeous Danish Modern Teak table right now so this should be a fun project to follow it up with. Definitely be sure to start a thread either here in the FR or the MA section!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.