Alpair 12 on sale - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2011, 02:21 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

No idea...I got mine from Dave. The great technical support more than makes up for any price difference and is worth every penny to me!
Old 4th April 2011, 06:18 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I'm running a set of 12's as monitors, currently closed box, with a sub-woofer for bass support. They have about 160 hours and sound good in that system. To my ear they could use a little more on top. However, I'm comparing them to Jordan JX92s (full range) which they replaced. I'm also running JX92's/GS2i's as monitors with Emmence 15 OB's in my main system. So my ears are biased toward the Jordan's. What I noticed most about the 12's was more impact then I get with the smaller Jordan drivers.

I'm tempted to pick up a set at the sale price.

-
Rick
Old 14th April 2011, 05:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I'm going to be picking up a set of the Gold 12's at the sale price and build the SuperPensil12 cabinets. Easy build, they look fantastic and from most reports, they are truly excellent speakers. This will be my first FR build (well first build period) so I'm really looking forward to hearing how they do in reference to my Strata Mini's which are a 4-way with an active 8" powered woofer. I don't expect them to have even close to the same bass response but if the imaging is at least on par and the bass is present I'll be more than happy. At the sale price, it really seems like a great deal Talked to Brian today at Madisound and he seemed to think very highly of them as well.

Scott
Old 14th April 2011, 05:42 AM   #24
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Scott,

My Super Pensil build is nearly complete - got all the pieces cut and the braces made (most tedious part). Hope I can put this together over the next 2 days.

I started breaking in the drivers from yesterday - that will take a long time though (200+ hours).

Get hold of your drivers and start the break in process.

-Zia

p.s. I haven't heard them in full glory since currently breaking in at low volumes with soft music only, but the drivers do look very nice.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:10 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Scott,

My Super Pensil build is nearly complete - got all the pieces cut and the braces made (most tedious part). Hope I can put this together over the next 2 days.

I started breaking in the drivers from yesterday - that will take a long time though (200+ hours).

-Zia

p.s. I haven't heard them in full glory since currently breaking in at low volumes with soft music only, but the drivers do look very nice.
Zia,
would you have any pictures of the build? I need some inspiration to start my Super Pensils.

Tam
Old 14th April 2011, 01:24 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Tam,

Good to know you're going for Super Pensils too.

Was planning to start a thread with details and pics tmrw. Stay tuned!

As of now all the pieces are cut and the braces glued up. Aim to build the boxes tmrw.

-Zia
Old 14th April 2011, 01:43 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Scott,

-Zia

Sweet! Sounds like the SuperPensils are taking off! I agree, pre-break in sounds like its pretty necessary and plan on starting the break in as soon as I get the drivers. I'm just finishing up refinishing a gorgeous Danish Modern Teak table right now so this should be a fun project to follow it up with. Definitely be sure to start a thread either here in the FR or the MA section!!
Old 14th April 2011, 06:55 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Just placed my order for a set of 12's in Gold. Here's to hoping I actually like them! LOL!
Old 14th April 2011, 07:06 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Just placed my order for a set of 12's in Gold. Here's to hoping I actually like them! LOL!
All the best Scott!

-Zia
Old 14th April 2011, 07:26 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All the best Scott!

-Zia
Thanks! I'll start a thread for the build once I start

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!