difference between Alpair 7 and CHR 70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as I know Alp 7 is sonically superior to CHR 7 when it comes to detail and HF. The soundstage it throws up is also probably best of all the Alpairs. Alp 7 is very revealing and will not flatter the source; a poor source will play poorly, a good one will sound good.

CHR-70 is more forgiving to the source... it is an impressive driver that can be used for multiple applications and in many cabinets. It will not bring out as much details as the Alp 7, neither does it have teh sound stage.

I have not used either. Recently ordered CHR70.2eN

Some differences would be: design, materials, tolerances, target market. On the generation 1 models, the cone-shaped "cap" in the center seemed better done on the A7. On my gen1 CHR70, the cap was held in place by (four?) sort of spot-welds or joints whereas the A7 seemed (to my memory) to be more seamless? But that's all gen1 stuff.

I would not say the CHR70 is "more forgiving" than the A7. The A7 is "sweeter" in my limited experience.

All the Alpairs are inherently "forgiving" (in my limited experience) compared to, say, Fostex in part because the response doesn't have those peaks, are physically more robust, and (over-generalizing) target a higher Q than the majority of (but not all) popular Fostex (some exceptions: F120A, F200A, but there are others).

As far as I know Alp 7 is sonically superior to CHR 7 when it comes to detail and HF. The soundstage it throws up is also probably best of all the Alpairs. Alp 7 is very revealing and will not flatter the source; a poor source will play poorly, a good one will sound good.

CHR-70 is more forgiving to the source... it is an impressive driver that can be used for multiple applications and in many cabinets. It will not bring out as much details as the Alp 7, neither does it have teh sound stage.

I have not used either. Recently ordered CHR70.2En.
Hi

I have both running - nice description !

Last edited:
Mark continues to refine the various models of drivers - some of the changes are very obvious such as shape and attachment location/methods for dust cap/ center dome and 2 part molded gasket, others not as obvious (without the benefit of micro / X-Ray vision) to motor and suspension components, cone profile & machining tolerances.

Since it's not possible to implement such revisions to all models at once or those already in the field/supply pipeline, we need to careful when comparing models as each are likely to be at different evolutionary stages. Further fun ensues if such changes effect T/S parameters significantly enough to require tweaking of enclosure design/tuning etc before just dropping in a replacement new model.

For me, all of which makes building and talking about this hobby even more interesting.

That said, the simplest description I can make of the difference between the versions of CHR70 and A7 that I've heard would be refinement / resolution of lower level details, soundstage dimension, and deeper LF extension. The CHR is a silly good bargain, but the A7 is superior in every respect.

I'm not even sure I want to hear the 10.2 once they've recuperated from their break-in / treatment process and are ready to populate their awaiting cabinets - I've had to completely change both my working systems twice within the past year and half .

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The differences between CHR & A7 come down to finesse.

1/ Althou both cones are multiformed (no machining on the 2nd gen cones) the A7s cone has tolerances something like 10x tighter. (and the tolerances in CHR are already tighter than most drivers extant)

2/ spider on CHR is standard, on A7 one of Matsubara-sans finest

3/ A7 basket is more sopisticated, stronger, stiffer, more open, and comes with Mark's super gasket

4/ similarily front suspension, voice coil (square wire), and other details all extract more performance out of the driver.

Build wise, CHR is on similar footing with JX92, A7 is in a whole nother league. As such the A7 has nore finesse and greater downward dynamic range. This allows the A7 to expose more of the flaws of the ancillaries where the CHR will smush those over.

Don't take that as a dis of the CHR... it is a fantastic driver for the money.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.