Castle Micro Towers, but not quite? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2011, 10:42 AM   #1
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Castle Micro Towers, but not quite?

One of my friend's speakers - very Castle MT'esque design... but 2 way. The port is at the bottom.

Also the cabinet is triangular - reminds me of the Jordan MLTL.

Has a 4.5" mid/bass and 1" tweeter. Plays ok with good detail, but for me there's a gap in the bass and mid, and the top end is a bit shrill. Plays better with the warmer source that my friend has vs mine.

With the Castel MT design I can probably expect more grunt and smoother mids and top end?

-Zia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norh_spk_01.jpg (53.4 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Norh_spk_02.jpg (42.3 KB, 458 views)
Old 29th March 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
One of my friend's speakers - very Castle MT'esque design... but 2 way. The port is at the bottom.

Also the cabinet is triangular - reminds me of the Jordan MLTL.

Has a 4.5" mid/bass and 1" tweeter. Plays ok with good detail, but for me there's a gap in the bass and mid, and the top end is a bit shrill. Plays better with the warmer source that my friend has vs mine.

With the Castel MT design I can probably expect more grunt and smoother mids and top end?

-Zia

Interesting aesthetic - I've contemplated something along those lines for possible future builds, but still using wide band drivers. When budget permits, Alpair 7s perhaps?

Without assuming to know what the unidentified set of drivers would sound like, the main feature of the dual driver microtowers is, the dual drivers. Whether or not LP filtered for an effective 1.5 way, the of second driver operating in the lowest few octaves contributes greatly to the "grunt" factor.
Old 29th March 2011, 03:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Chrisb,

Speaker owner says these are vifa drivers... I might take them out to verify....

Am I correct in assuming that a Castle MT will be easier to place in any room vs other MTs or bi-poles? I have 2 rooms in mind for using those - 12' x 14' and 15' x 17'.

-Zia
Old 29th March 2011, 03:38 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Chrisb,

Speaker owner says these are vifa drivers... I might take them out to verify....

Am I correct in assuming that a Castle MT will be easier to place in any room vs other MTs or bi-poles? I have 2 rooms in mind for using those - 12' x 14' and 15' x 17'.

-Zia

FWIW, the Castle certainly gets my vote for placement flexibility, performance quotient and WAF in a small footprint.
Old 30th March 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Newbie question Chrisb - slope should be facing the wall or listener?
Old 30th March 2011, 06:55 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on the room and placement. In our next builds we are going to try sloped forward slightly,

dave
Old 1st April 2011, 08:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Came across this thread:

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

One of the posts had this image of Twin CHR-Kens - very good looking set of speakers! Should have good WAF also

Dave and Chrisb, I am going a little bit OT here, but how do these fare vs Castle MTs? I am guessing that you've had some experience with them.

-Zia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8110206_LR.jpg (149.0 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by zman01; 1st April 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:24 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Came across this thread:

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

One of the posts had this image of Twin CHR-Kens - very good looking set of set of speakers! Should have good WAF also
Those are Colin's (Toppsy) Twin Mar-Ken10, 2 Alpair10. He rather likes them, i believe his son commandered them. Since they are in the UK, no opinion.

Differences between Twin CHR-Ken and Castle microTower would lie in 3 areas, the nature & depth of the bass, presentation (putting the 2nd driver on the top of the CHR-Ken would minimize this, and ease of construction.

dave
Old 1st April 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why does Colin have so many speakers and why do all of them have to look so good?

Coming to "commandeering" - will have to ask him if his son is a budding audio enthusiast or an aspiring Jack Sparrow? Honestly, with such a fine looking pair, I don't blame the young fellow.

If I understand correctly, when it comes to "differences" - Castle Micro Towers can give:

1. More bass and deeper bass
2. Better presentation

Wouldn't putting the second driver of the Twin CHR-Ken on top of the cab make it akin to the standard Micro Tower (albeit a bit smaller)?

Building a Castle MT is more or less difficult? Sorry, me being a newbie, can't tell much from the plans. One thing I have learnt is that holey braces for Pensils can take a bit of time and effort to make .
Old 1st April 2011, 08:53 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
1. More bass and deeper bass
But probably not as finessed

Quote:
2. Better presentation
Different. Room plays such a large role one cannot predict

Quote:
Wouldn't putting the second driver of the Twin CHR-Ken on top of the cab make it akin to the standard Micro Tower (albeit a bit smaller)?
Without actually looking up dimensions, Twin CHR-Ken is the larger box. Castle is a microTower with the 2nd driver on the top. Standard, has one on front, 1 on the back same as the inspirational EPI of the 70s.

Quote:
Building a Castle MT is more or less difficult?
Less work. Ignoring holey braces, MT is on the same order of difficulty as Pensil. Any of the miniOnken are more difficult.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!