Audio Nirvana drivers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2011, 09:12 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoeiii View Post
A big fan of what the larger 12" stamped AN driver did in my system in the Dicks 2.8 box (and I'd love recommendations on how I could play around with the 2.8s I have to potentially improve the sound).
John (aka VictoriaGuy), was the local who modded his DD speakers. I think they were the stamped 12s (i think his 10s are still in the box, but i could have it backwards) in one of the big boxes with the 6" hole in the front. Working from measured parameters (pretty close on this pair) a new port length was calculated (considerable IIRC). I just happed to have some 6" PVC so he went ahead and installed it... hopefully he can chime in and give detail & imppressions.

dave
Old 1st April 2011, 09:19 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I have 2 3" ports in mine. I will play around with some PVC. How would extra mass in the box, dacron or damping foam on the inside affect things?
Old 1st April 2011, 11:06 PM   #23
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AN

I really like my Cast Frame Audio Nirvana Super 12's and they match up well with my 7 watt SET amp . They are in cabinets from Wyatt Woodworking.
I recently added the Zobel and Contour Circuits posted on this forum when Michael Chua of Amplabs.com measured the AN Super Cast 12 speaker parameters and made some recommendations.
They have worked out well . I used Mills Resistors and Jantzen P-Core Inductors for their low DCR .
I added the 2.5K notch circuit but noticed on vinyl it does remove some life from the drivers sound . Not too noticeable on CD formats though.
I'm going to cut that notch circuit resistor value in half and if I still notice the issue I'll pull that part of the circuit off the board and leave the Zobel and Contour Circuit in place which I like .
I was using a 31 band graphic EQ but there's some phase shifting there that is noticeable even though only minor cuts and boosts are involved.
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:10 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

just build them...and listen. you don't need anything else other than the exact recommendations offered by David.
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:50 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I have Fostex 8" 206E and AN 10" castframe and AN 12" castframe.

They all sound different. The AN's have less shout than the Fostex. Maybe a little warmer sounding with extended low end ( I attribute that to the size more than anything else). The Fostex is higher resolving but can get you edgy after a while. To each his own I guess.
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:23 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Location: In an old house on a hill needing repair looking over an old cemertry.
bit of topic but the the radian 8" coax with a sub driver is worth considering.. A tannoy quality driver.
Old 3rd April 2011, 03:40 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

A pair of good 15 inches FR as the Nirvana Super15CF for 400 Obamas are tremendous value per music it do.
Some Nirvana FRs will be famous vintage drivers in the future.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:24 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
John (aka VictoriaGuy), was the local who modded his DD speakers. I think they were the stamped 12s (i think his 10s are still in the box, but i could have it backwards) in one of the big boxes with the 6" hole in the front. Working from measured parameters (pretty close on this pair) a new port length was calculated (considerable IIRC). I just happed to have some 6" PVC so he went ahead and installed it... hopefully he can chime in and give detail & imppressions.

dave
Hey-
I've been 'on the road' for a couple of days, so just dropping in now....

The ANs that Dave worked on for me were stamped frame 10s - I have a pair of 12s in the box on a shelf at home.
I'm really happy with the AN10s with the 6" port - I'd have to check at home on the length but it was in the 8-12" range IIRC...(?) . Once an amp project passes the test by not blowing up the cheap Technics speakers, it moves to the AN10s.
I've had a few visitors open eyes wide and give compliments when listening, but perhaps they are just polite? They sound good to me. I think they sounded 'OK' with the standard 2.8 but noticeably better with the 'DavePort' (Thanks again , Dave!)

My 'standard' system is a pair of Fonken 167s with woofer help (biamped), driven by MyRef amps for the Fonkens and chip amps for the woofers, usually through Behringer 2496DEQ. Sounds great but not much play value with new (and old) tube projects, due to the biamping requirement.

I think my AN10s were good value, but I did buy the cheaper option at the 10" level. I can't comment on the cast frame and other versions.

Lately I've been doing a lot more headphone listening (my 'bang-for-the-buck' inclination shows here), so I'm not listening to the speakers as much.

I do have a Troels project waiting at home....one of these days...

Cheers
John
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Location: In an old house on a hill needing repair looking over an old cemertry.
Just checked out the audio nirvanas. The 15 inch alnico is 92 and the normal is 96. thats insane. Paying double for a weaker magnet. Why don't they make a goto style neo instead
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:41 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I've been using AN super 6.5's for years now in a Madisound BK-16 cabinent, and are my favorites when paired with my Tubelab Simple SE. I also have Tannoy 15inch HPD's and small crossovered bookshelf speakers.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but they are a great value. I listen to everything and the midrange is addictive.

Hide this!Advertise here!