Audio Nirvana drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2011, 07:20 PM   #11
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I would agree with the comments on the AN drivers. I own a pair of the standard 8s and they are by far the best drivers I have heard. The fostex models are similar but I just prefer the ANs.

They do start distorting when you turn it up, but so does every other full range driver. Nothing to worry about. AN is heartily recommended... you will not be disappointed.
Old 29th March 2011, 07:28 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you want finesse have a look at the Mark Audio Alpairs.

I would stay away from the stamped basket ANs, i have only seen those and was left unimpressed. The cast basket ones come with high praise, particularily the 8". I do not subscribe to the D Dick's school of box design, i have fixed one already,

If you order a pair i would also suggest getting a guarantee of pair matching -- being in Europe i would insist on seeing the impedance curves before ordering -- attached is the measures from a "pair" of stamped basket AN8 i am currently working over.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif example-speaker-pr-deviatio.gif (49.9 KB, 450 views)
Old 29th March 2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Secips is offline Secips  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumOpus View Post
Thanks.

I never listen at extreme levels, and my Dali 2002's play more than loud enough with a Fatman Carbon. I am looking for quality of sound not quantity

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a few options to consider

I don't listen at extreme levels either until somebody tells me to turn it down. When I hear "good" music it draws me in (low distortion for our purposes) We want to get closer until we get close enough and the music is loud enough for us to really listen. The "better" the music usually the louder.

Most ANs will give you at least 104+ db with 10 watts. That's plenty.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

I would stay away from the stamped basket ANs, i have only seen those and was left unimpressed. The cast basket ones come with high praise, particularily the 8". I do not subscribe to the D Dick's school of box design, i have fixed one already,

If you order a pair i would also suggest getting a guarantee of pair matching -- being in Europe i would insist on seeing the impedance curves before ordering -- attached is the measures from a "pair" of stamped basket AN8 i am currently working over.

dave
That didn't look all too appealing...
Old 30th March 2011, 10:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

you would only use the stamped ones for bass reinforcement. I would go for the cast ones for the front.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:31 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
you would only use the stamped ones for bass reinforcement..
If you wanted equal bass reinforcement from the pair i'd posted, you'd probably need to build 2 different boxes. As they are suited for use as mid-tweeters in a FAST.

dave
Old 1st April 2011, 08:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The Alpairs look intriguing too.

I'll have too look at some different box design-options. It'll have to be simple, I only have access to the most modest of equipment and skills...
Old 1st April 2011, 04:35 PM   #18
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
To me that does not look bad at all. Build one cabinet for both and do a blind test to see if you can tell the difference. Besides, if you are going to do an open baffle, the bass response hardly matters. Too much is made of the Audio Nirvana parameters. While they are probably poorly manufactured, they're still leagues ahead of the other drivers.

I'm also surprised in that there isn't a rising impedance, very, very typical of AN drivers.
Old 1st April 2011, 05:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I would probably not hear such a difference between the drivers, and I beleive in a cabinet such as the 2.8 Ambience, it would be even harder to distingiush.

Anyway, I am so set on trying out AN, that I will buy a pair of Super 8's or 10's of the cast frame edition.

After what I have gathered it is a love/hate relationship after all.
So nought left but to try.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

A big fan of what the larger 12" stamped AN driver did in my system in the Dicks 2.8 box (and I'd love recommendations on how I could play around with the 2.8s I have to potentially improve the sound). Compared to a Fostex 8" driver in a back loaded horn, I thought the AN could handle a wider range of musical genres.

Also spoke to Dicks recently and he mentioned that AN would be coming out with neodynamium (sp?) drivers shortly as well. Price somewhere between the alnico and the ferrite magnets.

Hide this!Advertise here!