Flat wallmount horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
Im thinking about some flat style (like a painting) enclosure for fostex driver (don't know which one, but would like something in the 4-5" range) dor the bedroom. My wife wants something stealthy :) what could be hang on the wall.
Was there something like that done before? I had a look at the PAWO enclosures, but I think their still too deep.
Any suggestions?

Danny

Edit: just found the wall fonken thread. anybody wish to elaborate?
Dave?
If I have to keep the volume for the standard fonkens in tact, does this applies on the vents as well? volume of vents?

Last edited:
Hello all,
Im thinking about some flat style (like a painting) enclosure for fostex driver (don't know which one, but would like something in the 4-5" range) dor the bedroom. My wife wants something stealthy :) what could be hang on the wall.
Was there something like that done before? I had a look at the PAWO enclosures, but I think their still too deep.
Any suggestions?

Danny

Edit: just found the wall fonken thread. anybody wish to elaborate?
Dave?
If I have to keep the volume for the standard fonkens in tact, does this applies on the vents as well? volume of vents?

changing the total vent volume will affect the tuning freq and probably shape of roll-off

chrisb - thanks, i know that much that when i change the vent volume, the tuning FR goes. But I've seen one thread - FIRST WALL MOUNT FONKEN - and i think the vent area is much bigger then the original fonkens. So perhaps I thought there are some made. I wish Dave made the wall fonken (he made a sketch) reality....I'd like that....
Dave??? :) Nanko???? :) common, you know you want to build something like this :)

Danny

loninappleton - thanks as well, will check it out

chrisb - thanks, i know that much that when i change the vent volume, the tuning FR goes. But I've seen one thread - FIRST WALL MOUNT FONKEN - and i think the vent area is much bigger then the original fonkens. So perhaps I thought there are some made. I wish Dave made the wall fonken (he made a sketch) reality....I'd like that....
Dave??? :) Nanko???? :) common, you know you want to build something like this :)

Danny

loninappleton - thanks as well, will check it out

Dave has recently updated the Fonken plans set which should include the wall mount version - plans for which have no doubt been posted previously. If they're not easy to find, you could always PM for a direct copy.

Try as "we" (i.e. I ) might, it's not possible to build every design iteration - and as I've found in the past that wall mounting doesn't suit either of our domestic situations, it's never been high on the priority list.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If they're not easy to find, you could always PM for a direct copy.

What Chris says... if you don't already have FE127 in hand they are getting scarce.

The Cornu-style horn is brilliant, a DIY FE126En version would be worth pursuing.

You need to maintain a certain depth or you can end up with a cupped sound in the mids.

dave

Dave any suggestion on a driver with the modified fonken enclosure since the 127 is hard to get? or any source in europe? will buy a pair :) paying cash :D

i would try the wall mount at home, but the drive is the achyles heel i believe

BTW: is TUBELAB down? I emailed for some answers about the Simple SE, but no response yet...

Last edited:
Dave any suggestion on a driver with the modified fonken enclosure since the 127 is hard to get? or any source in europe? will buy a pair :) paying cash :D

i would try the wall mount at home, but the drive is the achyles heel i believe

BTW: is TUBELAB down? I emailed for some answers about the Simple SE, but no response yet...

Mark Audio CHP70 would be my first suggestion

thanks chris, i'm also thinking chr70, however will the simple SE (8W) be enough for this? I wnat to get my hands on some tube sound, and if it works, build something bigger (better) for the 168EZ BIBs.

For my taste the paper coned EL /CHP70 is closer to the sound of the FE127E than any of the metal coned Mark Audio drivers I've yet heard*. I'm currently running theEL70 in a dual driver design system with approx 4 W of EL84 class A P/P in a moderately big space ( 450+ sq ft), and they play plenty loud enough for me.

*that said, the Alpair7 is pretty damned special - but certainly doesn't have the tonal balance or forward presentation of any of the FE /FA/FX series I've heard. .

Last edited:
Sooo.. WAF is very very high with the wall mounts (horn or BR or .....) -
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At what sort of trouble are we looking on when build? Lets say CHR-70 or CHP-70 or....

Any suggestions? Perhaps make them a little bit deeper?
Danny

P.S.: mods please can you change the title to Flat Wall Mount Enclosure..? thanks

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sooo.. WAF is very very high with the wall mounts (horn or BR or .....) -
wallFonken-2-map

Any suggestions? Perhaps make them a little bit deeper?

The ones that actually made the cut to the plans are revised from those, and a bit deeper. Email me, i'll send the plans.

For CHR or CHP/EL70, you would have to start with the appropriate CHR-Ken/Mar-Ken (wall mounts are in the long-term queue for the plan-sets). These might well need the opposite of a BSC filter.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What Chris says... if you don't already have FE127 in hand they are getting scarce.

The Cornu-style horn is brilliant, a DIY FE126En version would be worth pursuing.

You need to maintain a certain depth or you can end up with a cupped sound in the mids.

dave

For anyone interested in an easy build of the Cornu spirals (low cost and 1-day project), see this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-6.html

The sound from the spiral horns is amazing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.