Advice on computer speaker build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2011, 05:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice on computer speaker build

So I have been reading everything I could find over the past week concerning the micro Fonken boxes and the FE127/126 drivers. I am building a LM1875 stereo amp and speakers in anticipation of an imac purchase. My issue is that the Fostexs are no longer available (with no suitable replacement) and although I would LOVE to buy a modded pair, it is not in my budget (I plan to enabl the drivers myself). So that brings me to my question. Is there a drop in replacement for the micro Fonken (maybe some TangBands)? Or is there a suitable compact build, similar to the uFonken, that would work for maybe the Fe126en? Again I am going for a desktop PC speaker build with the amp running around 20w per channel. Thanks again for all the great info on this forum!
Old 28th March 2011, 05:32 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

uFonken (uFonken -- FF85) or milliFonken (FE127)?

Ignoring the potential of the new FF85 & FF125...

Fountek FR88ex in the uFonken (port slot spacer change)
In a similar size box (big bezel precludes the original aspect), same tuning style, Mark Audio Alpair 6.2 (either of them)

There already exists a documented range of milliSize enclosures for Mark Audio drivers (and you have nore than enuff power)... EL70, CHR70, Alpair6p, Alpair7.

FE126En may work in a variation, i am working on a proper BR for these, so far it is 4 litres and the response to 120 Hz illustrates its real world limits in a BR.

I haven't looked at the new FE103.

dave
Old 28th March 2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
...Fountek FR88ex ...
MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0503X.jpg (97.9 KB, 245 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 28th March 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

BTW: in my office i just swapped out the Twin Fountek milliSize for a set of mFonken with FE127eN and the latter is definitely preferred.

dave
Old 28th March 2011, 11:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
uFonken (uFonken -- FF85) or milliFonken (FE127)?

Ignoring the potential of the new FF85 & FF125...

Fountek FR88ex in the uFonken (port slot spacer change)
In a similar size box (big bezel precludes the original aspect), same tuning style, Mark Audio Alpair 6.2 (either of them)

There already exists a documented range of milliSize enclosures for Mark Audio drivers (and you have nore than enuff power)... EL70, CHR70, Alpair6p, Alpair7.

FE126En may work in a variation, i am working on a proper BR for these, so far it is 4 litres and the response to 120 Hz illustrates its real world limits in a BR.

I haven't looked at the new FE103.

dave
Thanks everybody for the detailed replies. I am considering waiting for the updated FF85 (heck the updated imac MAY be out in the next 8 weeks anyway) but will definitely entertain the Fr88ex cabs that Bigun posted.

Hide this!Advertise here!