diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Frugel-Horn Mk3 Auditions (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/185846-frugel-horn-mk3-auditions.html)

planet10 26th March 2011 07:55 PM

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Auditions

1 Attachment(s)
Jim (aka jemraid) suggested that a list of people with Frugel-Horn Mk3 who are willing to host auditions be started.

Anyone who is, please post, so that your varied contact info is availble and note your location, drivers and any other particulars you feel relevant.

I have the original prototypes which i can fairly easily swap different drivers into as it has a removable upper baffle. I will usually have A7eN, CHR70eN, EL70eN, FE126eN and more that can be swapped in. The original p10-hifi flat-pak test run is being assembled and will have dedicated FE126eN^2 installed.

I am in/close to Victoria BC Canada. I have a few amps and you are encoraged to bring your own.

Best to contact me by eMail. I have personal messaging turned off. Google Earth place file attached.

dave

jemraid 26th March 2011 08:09 PM

Hello all,

I have a pair of FH3's with CHP-70 units corner placed in a very small room at the back of our garage. If you would like to have a listen please feel free to bring some CD's and an amplifier.

I have an old GainClone to Thorsten's inverted circuit and am going to make a Hiraga 'Le Monstre' 8 watt amp.

I live in NE Derbyshire UK not too far off the M1 Ju 29.

Regards - Jim

THORNSPAWN 26th March 2011 08:55 PM

People are welcome to have a listen.
I have one set with CHP-70s at the moment but I'm building another with Alpair 7s
I'm located in Geelong Australia

jemraid 11th March 2012 11:40 AM

Bump

This speaker is really taking off now. Occasionally something that is more than the sum of it's parts appears, a triumph of cabinet and drive unit design producing something that sounds wonderful, OK OK I know I've said it before lots of times, but it's true.

If you've made or bought a pair please add your name to the list.

Jim

chrisb 11th March 2012 09:23 PM

do commercial builds & flat pack kits count? Not including the 2 original pairs of prototype /mules, 5 finished pairs and parts for 25 flat-pak kits in slightly less than a year - predominantly with FE126E

planet10 11th March 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb (Post 2942170)
5 finished pairs and parts for 25 flat-pak kits in slightly less than a year - predominantly with FE126E

Actually 47 pairs of flat-paks. 5 of those completed in-house. 6 yet to ship. Don't know how many made yet.

56% FE126, 33% A7.x, 9% EL70 & 1 for FE108

dave

jemraid 11th March 2012 10:20 PM

Well that's three of us and maybe four if Chris joins.

Any more?

Jim

planet10 11th March 2012 10:58 PM

Chris is the same as me... we usually loan the FH3 out so that people can try them in their environs.

dave

jonparkhurst 11th March 2012 11:21 PM

Fostex 126 enabled FH3 West Wisconsin, USA

croweproductions 11th March 2012 11:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm open to auditions from fellow DIY'ers. I'm in Picton, 2 hours from either Toronto or Ottawa. Bit of a trip.

I can't see anyone being disappointed with the sound quality of the Frugal Horns, unless they have crappy upstream components. I used to have Zorny (Simpsons joke), yamaha and various other japanese stereo components, which makes Fostex sound like a AM radio! They need tube power, and even a tube DAC or vinyl to bring out the sweet tone. I currently have a 10watt tube SET and a Grant TubeDAC-11, and very happy.